It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Can chronic back pain cause abdominal adhesions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Can chronic back pain cause abdominal adhesions?

I am having LAVH in just under 2 weeks. I've never had any abdominal surgeries and I've never been pregnant. I *have*, however, had numerous back injuries and chronic back pain (herniated disc or 2 in my low back).

My question is, can poor body mechanics (moving so I don't aggrevate my back pain, etc) cause abdominal adhesions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
    fizzymoon1
    (female)

fizzymoon1 HB User
    Talking Re: Can chronic back pain cause abdominal adhesions?

I have had adhesions since i had a hysterectomy 10 years ago. Most adhesions are caused by abdominal surgery and are more common in women who have had gynaelogical surgery. If you have never had surgery it maybe as a result of the back injuries you have suffered. Another cause of adhesions is menstrual problems. Did you ever suffer from endimetriosis or problems with your periods. Adhesions basically occur when the body is too efficient at healing itself and too much scar tissue is produced which can bind the internal organs together. It is hard to diagnose and surgery to remove the bands of fibrous tissue can make the problem worse. As it is quite rare to have adhesions without having had surgery are you certain you have them? Has your doctor said that you have them. It actually sounds more likely that your pain is linked to your back injuries and perhaps you should be checked out with an x-ray on back to determine if this is the case. As for poor mechanics the answer is no you cannot cause adhesions to develop by how you move. However, if you have back chronic back pain exercise does alleviate the pain and it is essential that you take regular gentle exercise as this will prevent your back problems getting worse. I also have chronic back pain from sciatica and many doctors have told me swimming is the best form of exercise as well as some gentle stretching exercises. Have you ever been referred to a physiotherapist as they would show you what exercises to do. If you want to know anything else then post a question and i will try and help. Let us know how you get on.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Can chronic back pain cause abdominal adhesions?

No, I have not been diagnosed with adhesions. I am just worrying myself silly about what the doctor might find when she goes in to do my hysterectomy. I'm probably worrying for nothing. <sigh> Thanks for responding, Fizzy! I'll try not to worry about this . . .

Closed Thread