It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Help me decide what to do...please?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User
    Help me decide what to do...please?!

I want my uterus removed. I think I should keep my ovaries. Here is my story:
    my family all dies from cancer. Every single one and many early. (Both my mom's parents were gone from lung cancer-one at 45, one at 55; my cousin just died from colon cancer at 45, and my grandfather on my dad's side went from stomach cancer--the only one who went out otherwize was my grandma on my dad's side who died on the operating table during heart surgery.) I have already had to have a breast biopsy done due to findings of a tumor on one of my breasts found during a mamo/ultrasound. (thank goodness it was benign)

My mom had a hysterectomy at my age (37). I am unsure as to why as she keeps details to herself, although I know she had a male dr. and they seem to look at the female as disposible anyway-but I think she had some kind of issues, just don't know exactly what they were. She has been on long term hormone therapy ever since.

My symptoms: excruciating periods since I was 13. I have a child, and do not want anymore. (I had a tubal 5 yrs. ago) I am anemic and have extremely low ferritin. (Chronically anemic & I do have rather heavy periods for the first half, at least.)

I am very sick now due to extreme anemia, long term untreated. (long story, but have shortness of breath, dizziness, fatigue, pain, etc.) I also have my hormones all over the place. I am low on estrogen, and have wild mood swings. I have PMDD symptoms and am nearly violent for about 10 days of the month nearly every month. It has gotten so bad that I try to not have visitation with my child during that time as I am MEAN. It is as if I am possessed by someone else. I am not myself--I throw things, flip other drivers off and generally try to start fights with people. Normally I am extremely nice.

I have had a pelvic ultrasound and my uterus is slightly large, my lining is normal. I have one ovary that had something on it, not a tumor or anything, it is a word I can't recall, but it is essentially, I think what is leftover after you ovulate.

Anyway, I want to stop my periods ALTOGETHER. If I never had a period again, I would jump for joy! I HATE THEM!

Now, here are my options: go on the pill forever; have a mirena IUD placed; ablation; hysterectomy either with or without removing ovaries--although it seems that to get the insurance to pay for it, it would need to be a complete job as the point would be that my ovaries are making me crazy.

Added details: I have a polyp on my cervix. I had HPV as a teen and had them frozen off of my cervix (fear of future cervical cancer). Otherwise, everything looks ok.

What should I do? I do not want to be on the pill as I am on a ton of meds already daily. I think having the mirena will help with releaving the bleeding and help with the mood swings, but not my fears of cancer. Ablation will stop the periods altogether, but will need to adjust my hormones anyway--also doesn't address fear of cancer. I think I can't just have uterus removed and am fearful about losing all my goods as then I will need to be on hormones for good, and what about menopause?

Jeez---what to do??????
    Opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Help me decide what to do...please?!

I'm sorry to hear about all of your problems. I haven't had horrid pain with periods or horrid bleeding, so I'm not much help there, but I have had a hysterectomy.

First of all, they can (medically) remove just the uterus. It is a supracervical hysterectomy. It leaves the cervix, tubes, and ovaries. There is a chance of having mini-periods if/when a portion of the uterus is left.

You have had a number of people in your family die from cancer, but it doesn't sound like you are BRACA2. You might ask your doctor about that.

Personally, I want to stay off of artificial hormones. There are just too many unknowns with them.

I don't know what to advise you, except to research as much as you can and compose a list of questions. Take the written list to your doctor's appointment and leave room for the answers.

I hope that helps!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User

I really only wanted to keep my ovaries as I also don't want to go on hormones, however, since I am receiving messed up hormones with them, I may have to no matter what. I almost told my boss yesterday that he was a busybody and to stay the hell away from me! (I get kinda crazy and that must stop.) I suppose I should just have it all removed. I dunno. My dr. is female which means she likes to do the most conservative thing there is. I normally would agree but I am dealing with pain and fear and don't know what is best. She is open to negotiate a bit, which is why I posted.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you have both of your ovaries (and tubes) removed (bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy) then you'll immediately be plunged into surgically induced menopause. You are likely to experience many of the typical menopause symptoms, overnight (though some women don't). It can take months for the doctors to get you onto the right dosages of hormones.

But then you are dealing with out-of-balanced hormones right now anyway.

I don't know what to tell you to do. You need to make an informed decision and talk with your doctor about the options.

As far as your comment about your doctor, I personally have had very aggressive (in treatment options) doctors who were male AND who were female. I don't think aggressive/conservative is gender specific.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
    hearts42
    (female)

hearts42 HB User

Hi,
    I just wanted to add that usually most doctors will not do a hysterectomy because a patient wants to not have any more periods. With that said, I do hope you find some answers and help with your issues. I do know that a major surgery is probably not the answer since you didn't list any real abnormalities of the uterus itself. But your doctor will be the best one to advise you on this.

Last edited by hearts42; 08-22-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
    hearts42
    (female)

hearts42 HB User

Tired:

You seem to have MANY things going on by your posts.... you said you have
    Anemia
    Gerd
    Gastritus
    Fibro
    Hiatal Hernia
    TMJ
    Pain in Joints
    Knots all over your body
    Low Estrogen
    Anxiety
    Deviated Septrum (shallow breathing)
    Migraines

I hope you get some answers to your health issues best of luck.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User

Not sure how you got the list together, I should copy and paste it. I have a lot of health problems and they are not necessarily large issues, but if you have enough small issues you will have a large issue meaning it is hard to feel healthy if nearly every system has something minor to moderate wrong with it. I try to stay positive as I don't have something terminal, but it is what I fear as I tend to feel generally unwell and tend to be unlucky in "health." So, that is part of why I posted. I am not sure what to do. I just know that my PMDD is so bad that I might get into a fistfight with someone and it is due to wild moodswings due to hormones all over the place. I really never wanted to lose the ovaries but I am unsure at this point if they are worth keeping since they are making me insane! I am so miserable, aggressive and NOT myself that I don't know how much longer I can take it. I will need to be on hormones no matter which direction I go in, so it is merely a matter then of deciding which way to reduce my bleeding as my anemia is pretty bad. It must get under control as I nearly had to have a blood transfusion this time around. I also already have a cervical growth, and since I had HPV, I am more likely to have cervical cancer-so the cervix for sure I want gone. I don't know what to do. I think I should have a full hysterectomy, but am afraid to.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think your best bet is to get in to see your general physcian and/or your gynecologist. Since there seem to be many things going on, he/she will be able to advise you as to your options.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
    I think your best bet is to get in to see your general physcian and/or your gynecologist. Since there seem to be many things going on, he/she will be able to advise you as to your options.
    I think you may have missed in the first post that I am seeing my gyno next week and that was the point of this posting, that I will need to make a decision as to which direction to go in.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

"I want my uterus removed. I think I should keep my ovaries." Then do it. I did it when I was 28 and it was the best decision.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I read your first post, but didn't recall that you have an upcoming appointment. I'm glad you do. Good luck with your appointment.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiredOTired View Post
    I am seeing my gyno next week
    What did your doctor say?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User

I am going tomorrow. I will let you know.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
    TiredOTired
    (female)

TiredOTired HB User

Ok, here is the deal: she won't remove my ovaries no matter what as she says I am too young and it isn't a good idea. So, I can either have an ablation or a hysterectomy, while keeping ovaries. Either way I will need to be on the pill due to crazy hormone problems.

So, ablation=shorter healing time and lesser procedure, but cancer scare still there.
    Hysterectomy=lesser cancer scare (as ovaries still there) longer healing time. However since I have good insurance now, and not in the future (will not have this insurance next year) I am thinking I should go for the hysterectomy.

How long was it before you would say someone could return to work if your goods are removed? I am a receptionist and only have to be on my feet part time during the day. The dr. thought 3-4 weeks--does anyone agree or disagree that this is a normal healing time?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #15
    bj08
    (female)

bj08 HB User

Frankly if everyone in your family has had cancer and you are going to get anything done then I would go for the hysterectomy and be done with it. One, you can replace the hormones from your ovaries with medication and removing your ovaries means no chance for cancer in them later. If you keep your ovaries you may end up with ovarian cancer and require an additional surgery later when you are older and less likely to undergo the procedure without complications. I had a D&C because I had endometriosis and the lining of my uterus was too thick (I had been through menopause and was having some spotting on occassion)then they discovered I had endometrial cancer. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and am not taking replacement hormones because my mother had breast cancer...maybe you need to find another doctor who agrees a hysterectomy is the best course and there is no need to spare your ovaries for later. With cancer in your family taking hormones is something you really need to discuss with your doctor.

Last edited by bj08; 09-12-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: healing time for a hysterectomy is 6 weeks but you can probably go back to work in 3-4wks if needed but your doc will tell ya

Closed Thread