It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• 4 weeks post-op from rectocele, rectocele and pelvic floor repair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
    helenm55
    (female)

helenm55 HB User
    Smile 4 weeks post-op from rectocele, rectocele and pelvic floor repair

I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow from having a Sacrospinous ligament fixation plus enterocele, rectocele, and Perineorrhaphy repair. It hasn't been an easy month the repair was surposd to be done through the stomach but had to be aborted due to the amount of adhesions that I had so all the work was done through the vagina. I am walking 3 mile a day at the moment and can do some very light duties in the house, I still get extremly tired and some days I have to go and lay down. I am noticing big improvments week to week so am very happy with my progress. It is wonderful not to have the hugh bulge down below and I can't wait to finally feel normal again.
    Love Helen
    x x

The Following User Says Thank You to helenm55 For This Useful Post:
    patient2011 (12-19-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
    Martha H
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
    Re: 4 weeks post-op from rectocele, rectocele and pelvic floor repair

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I am 2 weeks post op, and am starting to go for walks again, and enjoying them. So far only 20 to 30 minutes. I can't wait to ride my bike again. I'll see the doctor on July 10 and find out if I can. Still having light bleeding. The time span for that is 'up to 6 weeks ' so I am not worried as long as it stays light.

Keep on recovering. I too am so happy to have lost ''the bulge!"

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 06-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
    helenm55
    (female)

helenm55 HB User

Hi Martha,
    I have been thinking about you, I am so glad you are going on alright as well. I am so happy to be walking again even if it isn't as fast as I normally go. It is so nice to have the surgery behind me I am sure you must feel the same. I am being very good and resting when I get tired and doing nothing that would involve putting a strain on my pelvic floor. My husband has been brilliant and is still doing everything as well as going out to work. I will be so happy when I am fully recovered though. My post-op app is not till the 17th Aug which is 10 weeks post-op. My discharge is just about clearing up now at 4 weeks. Keep well Martha.
    Love Helen
    x x

Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
    anorman202
    (female)

anorman202 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by helenm55 View Post
    I am 4 weeks post-op tomorrow from having a Sacrospinous ligament fixation plus enterocele, rectocele, and Perineorrhaphy repair. It hasn't been an easy month the repair was surposd to be done through the stomach but had to be aborted due to the amount of adhesions that I had so all the work was done through the vagina. I am walking 3 mile a day at the moment and can do some very light duties in the house, I still get extremly tired and some days I have to go and lay down. I am noticing big improvments week to week so am very happy with my progress. It is wonderful not to have the hugh bulge down below and I can't wait to finally feel normal again.
    Love Helen
    x x
    Hi, Sounds like you are doing really good. I wished I'd gone to someone different to have my rectocele and cystocele in Sept/2008. I think the GYN who did her surgery first stitching on me for 2 hrs made it hard for my urologist to do the sling surgery on me. I had to go back into surgery with him 6 mos later..he found an abscessed stitch in my bladder. He took care of this in addition to removing some scar tissue. Sex hasn't been possible since before 9/2008. I was sewn up too tight! I hate the thought of suing anyone...never had such bad luck as this before!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
    helenm55
    (female)

helenm55 HB User

Hi,
    I am so sorry you have had such a bad time, I really hope you get sorted out soon. you must keep complaining that things are not right. This was my first vaginal repair my others where done through the stomach, it is a big worry that everything is going to be ok afterwards. Let us know how you get on.
    Love helen x x

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
    anorman202
    (female)

anorman202 HB User

Quote:
    Hi,
    I am so sorry you have had such a bad time, I really hope you get sorted out soon. you must keep complaining that things are not right. This was my first vaginal repair my others where done through the stomach, it is a big worry that everything is going to be ok afterwards. Let us know how you get on.
    Love helen x x
    Thanks Helen for writing. I can't beleive that you are able to walk 3 miles a day. I've never been able to do this. I've had back problems for over 30 yrs. I finally had a spinal fusion in 2004. Wished I'd never done it..although my leg pain is better...my back hurts all the time now! I still don't know what I'm going to do about my vagina being sewn up too small? Seems like I never have any luck with sugeons! Take care. Anorman

Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
    DoodleCT
    (female)

DoodleCT HB User

Quote:
    Hi,
    Love helen x x
    how did everything turn out for you, since a fair amount of time has gone by since?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
    helenm55
    (female)

helenm55 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoodleCT View Post
    how did everything turn out for you, since a fair amount of time has gone by since?
    Hi,
    Thank-you for asking, I am 14 weeks post-op now I still have some deep stitches that have to dissolve, I am still doing the walking as much as I can but this surgery has been so hard to get over I am still very tired and my husband is still doing most of the housework, I am a lot stronger now and can tell that everything has healed well, I have had my post-op app at 11 weeks and my surgeon was very pleased with my progress he said I could start to do more but only very slowly, he also said because my stomach surgery had to be aborted and done vaginally I needed to make some life style changes if I wanted my repairs to last a long time, so no heavy lifting for me from now on. I told him intercourse was uncomfortable but not painful and he said it would get better. He also said that he was happy that he had done the best job that he could, and as long as I am careful there was no reason it shouldn't last a long time. I certainly do not want to go through this again ever. I am doing my best to get back to being as fit as I was before surgery and keeping my weight within normal levals which all hepls to take the pressure off the pelvic floor. I think I would feel better than I do if I hadn't had surgery on my shoulder just before my prolapse surgery it is still very painful and could be for another six months, it is stopping me doing a lot of things that I would be able to do if it didn't hurt so much.
    My surgeon also said that It would take my body 6-12 months to settle down after the surgery.
    Love Helen x x x

Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
    Martha H
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

Hi Helen,

I am glad you are doing as well as you are. Keep getting better! My OP is now almost 3 months behind me. I still have one stubborn stitch that has not dissolved. The doctor says leave it alone. Otherwise I feel great.

Love,

Martha

Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
    aleet7
    (female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

I am so sorry that you didn't get the results that you should have! I have a level 4 or stage 4 uterine prolapse along with a cystocele and rectocele. I've known for some time now that I've needed this surgery for 2 years now. I've read about the recovery and it scares me! I have 4 children and no family in town to help out if I got the repairs. My mom lives 4 hours away but she is totally against me having the repairs! She is afraid of any kind of surgery and talks everyone she knows out of having surgery. I need the repairs but I don't need the stress of her telling why I should not have it done. I really don't know what to do...but I am very tired of the pressure I'm feeling and the feeling that something is falling out!

I'm sorry that you've been stitched too tight! This is something that you should mention to your urologist. He should be more than happy to fix this since it was his mistake. My husband would have no problem suing this doctor if it in anyway inhibited me from having intercourse! I would think that he would want to fix this to avoid a law suit anyway!

Good Luck!
    Aleet

Last edited by aleet7; 10-26-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
    aleet7
    (female)

Hi Martha,
    I have a question for you. What stage or level prolapse did you have when you decided to have the repairs? I've been putting the repairs off for 2 years now and think that I should have it done and get it over with. What if any problems did you have following the repairs?

My doc told me that recovery is at least 6-8 weeks. I'm hearing that it could possibly be longer than that. How long will I have to wait to have intercourse? How long was your stay in the hospital?

Thanks,
    Aleet

Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #12
    punkyinwa
    (female)

punkyinwa HB User

I am 4 weeks post op from vaginal hysterectomy and rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, vaginal vault prolapse and perineoplasty repair. I am still having problems sitting, doesn't matter how soft. Can't sit on hard surface at all. Doc said no sex at least 6 weeks, may be as long as 12, but that is because of my extensive repairs. All my prolapses were stage 3 or 4.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
    aleet7
    (female)

Wow...you had some extensive repairs done! Can I ask how long did the surgery take? How long was your hospital stay? I ask because I currently have stage 4 uterine prolapse, cystocele and rectocele. I'm thinking about having the repairs done soon since the pressure I'm feeling is getting more intense. My doc wants to schedule the repairs but I've been a little apprehensive since it's only been 3 months since I had a procedure done on my heart. I was told that recovery is 6-8 months... is this about right?

Good Luck,
    Aleet7

Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
    punkyinwa
    (female)

punkyinwa HB User

My surgery was between 4 and 5 hours. He said it would take 5 hours but i think he said it was a little shorter than 5. I was in the hospital 2 nights although it was only supposed to be one, but my pain got out of control because of a flaky nurse.

Recovery, meaning not doing much of anything is 3 months. Then you are on restricted for lifting heavy items for the rest of your life.
    Sitting wasn't so bad in the beginning but now at 4 weeks out i am pretty swollen and sitting is uncomfortable. I take ibuprofen during the day and sometimes something stronger at night so i can sleep. I lay down a lot during the day. My bowels are still an issue and I am trying to find the right combo of stool softeners and fiber.

Right now my restrictions are going up and down the stairs in my house only 3x a day. Have to really think before i go up and down the stairs and plan my day. No housework. No lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds. No bending or squatting. I am not driving yet, although i could if i wanted. I just don't feel comfortable if i had to slam on the brakes.

I can't tell you if i am glad i had the surgery or not yet as i am still healing.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
    aleet7
    (female)

Wow...that is a lot to consider! This is why I've been putting off the repairs...I have 4 children and I don't know how I could manage getting them off to school, taking them to sporting events etc... My husband absolutely could not help much since he runs his own small business! I know that I need to have this done and no time will ever be the right time for it. A friend of mine told me that her mom had this done and that she had to move in with her mom during recovery. Four months post op her mom said that she was glad that she had it done. I guess down the road you will be glad that you had it done! Taking it day by day is all that you can do at this point.

Thank you for the info!
    Aleet7

Closed Thread