It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• ureter cauterized during hysterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
    sms87
    (female)

sms87 HB User
    ureter cauterized during hysterectomy

Two months ago I went in to have a hysterectomy, 3 days later i developed sepsis, that put me in ICU for 3 days, 6 units of blood, and acute kidney failure. (I was healthy until this) and a total hosptal stay of 14 days. The kidney failure has since resolved. I was discharged and I still had constant nausea and vomiting. I called the kidney dr and he thankfully ordered a ct scan which showed a stricture in my left ureter. I had a cystoscopy and they were unable to stent it. I found out after further testing that during my hysterectomy they cauterized my left ureter shut. I now have a nephrostomy tube in my back draining my kidney until I have ureter reconstruction surgery. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: ureter cauterized during hysterectomy

Oh my goodness! No, that didn't happen to me. I just wanted to post and say that I hope you are feeling better soon and that the doctors get everything functioning correctly soon!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
    sms87
    (female)

sms87 HB User

thanks, me too!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
    Nag Khan
    (female)

Nag Khan HB User

Good luck. It is bad while it lasts but eventually you will recover. I have a friend who had a similar situation and it was a few months but she is up and about and resumed her daily life. So best of luck

Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
    veronica1982
    (female)

veronica1982 HB User

Where did you have your ureter reconstruction surgery and how are you feeling now. My dad is in need of ureter recontruction surgery.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
    vrm
    (female)

vrm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sms87 View Post
    Two months ago I went in to have a hysterectomy, 3 days later i developed sepsis, that put me in ICU for 3 days, 6 units of blood, and acute kidney failure. (I was healthy until this) and a total hosptal stay of 14 days. The kidney failure has since resolved. I was discharged and I still had constant nausea and vomiting. I called the kidney dr and he thankfully ordered a ct scan which showed a stricture in my left ureter. I had a cystoscopy and they were unable to stent it. I found out after further testing that during my hysterectomy they cauterized my left ureter shut. I now have a nephrostomy tube in my back draining my kidney until I have ureter reconstruction surgery. Has anyone had this happen to them?
    No. I had my left ureter cauterized during a hysterectomy. The Dr. did not know it and failed to properly diagnoise it. They thought I was suffering from an infection. Instead, I was urinating in my stomach for 7 days. I have never felt so ill. They didnt realize it until I was admitted to the hospital for observation over the weekend. During that stay they gave me pain iv's until my urine broke a hole in my vagina. I wore a catheter for 3 weeks, developed mrsa and have have left sided pain since. They were going to kill my nerve, but that caused pain in another area, so they wont continue. Has anyone had anything like this? I am sorry for you. I know the pain you are in.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
    dwntwnsrb
    (female)

dwntwnsrb HB User

Hi, I had this occur to me. The Gyn cauterized both ureters during laproscopic vaginal removal hysterectomy. I was having flank pain after the surgery and they kept telling me that it was normal pain. A week later I was in the Hospital for stent placement in the right ureter and 3 days later was back in for the left. After dealing with stents in and out most of the 2009 summer/fall..I had uretal reimplantation surgery in October...it is now mid January and I feel pretty good...I sure do not feel normal..(great) but ok.
    I hope all is going well for you.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
    ijh
    (female)

ijh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sms87 View Post
    Yes, this happened to me. Hysterectomy July 2009, 7 days later deathly sick, naseaus, fever, back to hospital was there for 9 days, it took them 4 days to figure out what was wrong with me.found out urine was leaking in pelvic area July 2009.. Performed a neuphostomy(not sure abt spelling). Though everything was fine removed stint in Sept 2009. Dec 2009 symptoms started again. Jan 2010 performed a ureter re-emplantation. Still on the mend waiting on the outcome. Some pains and spasms since surgery Jan 19th 2010.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
    dwntwnsrb
    (female)

dwntwnsrb HB User

I had the reimplantation surgery done in October..I feel almost 100 % now. I hope all goes well for you..Where did you have your original surgery done ?

Last edited by dwntwnsrb; 03-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
    ijh
    (female)

ijh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwntwnsrb View Post
    I had the reimplantation surgery done in October..I feel almost 100 % now. I hope all goes well for you..Where did you have your original surgery done ?
    I had hysterectomy and uretal reimplantation and hospital in Georgia.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
    timidlady2003
    (female)

timidlady2003 HB User

I hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread