It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• This is probably the most ridiculous question ever asked.......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
    cody48
    (female)

cody48 HB User
    This is probably the most ridiculous question ever asked.......

I've recently had a hysterectomy and since then have had a couple of questions that REALLY sound ridiculous. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, so....... I now have a yeast infection and am using the cream, WHERE did it go? Is the vagina closed of totally? Is that called the vaginal cuff? If open, does everything just go into the abdominal cavity? As I said, I know if sounds foolish but I never thought to ask my doctor and I was just wondering. I'm sure there must be some closure SOMEWHERE?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: This is probably the most ridiculous question ever asked.......

This is not a silly question. I never thought much about what happened after a hysterectomy until I was facing one. My best friend described the anatomy by comparing the uterus, cervix, and vagina to a pear sitting on top of a beverage glass.

The glass is the vagina. The pear is the uterus. The cervix is part of the uterus, so the smaller part of a pear that is in the glass is like the cervix. When a hysterectomy is performed the cervix and uterus are removed; you are basically removing the pear from the glass. THEN, after the pear is removed, then the glass needs to be closed up. The doctor stitches closed the opening. This creates the vaginal cuff. The cuff tissue heals and seals itself off, completely. My friend called it a sausage casing (like how a homemade sausage casing is closed off). Yes, I cried from laughing so hard when she used that analogy!

So, what happened to the cream? It did the same thing it use to do; it was absorbed into the vaginal walls and it was passed out through the vagina as the vagina naturally cleans itself by secreting fluids.

After a hysterectomy, the doctor can do swabs of the cervical/vaginal cuff. Swabs need to continue, even though the cervix is gone. HPV (which causes most cervical cancers) can cause other problems which could be detected during a pelvic exam. These need to happen on a regular basis; as long as a woman still has her vagina, vulva, cervix, anus/rectum, mouth/throat; all of those are locations where HPV can cause problems and are inspected during pelvic exams. The exams may not happen as often as they did prior to a hysterectomy, but they need to occur every 3-5 years, minimally.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
    cody48
    (female)

cody48 HB User

Pickle Eyes, this is a perfect explanation. When I thought about it I assumed that the vagina HAD to be closed in SOME way but just wasn't sure what they did and I totally forgot to ask my doctor when I went in for my check-up. The sausage casing got me also.

Thanks so much for the explanation!!!!

Last edited by cody48; 09-30-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You are welcome, Cody. My friend is great at explaining this in analogy form. It really helps me understand things. I'm glad I could share it with you!

I hope you are feeling good.

Closed Thread