It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Still bleeding after 8 weeks! Any suggestions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
    simonica
    (female)

simonica HB User
    Question Still bleeding after 8 weeks! Any suggestions?

Hello,
    I am posting this because I am simply running out of ideas, patience, etc...
    I had two heart surgeries. One in 2005, when my Mitral valve was repaired, and one in 2008, when I had the same valve replaced with a mechanical one.
    Since then, I am on Coumadin, varying doses between 6 and 7.5 mg.
    Earlier this year I had a bad PAP test and my ObGyn proposed a LEEP procedure, to get rid of the pre-cancerous cells. I had that done on Oct 14th and I've been bleeding since.
    When I say bleeding, I mean heavy bleeding... I had numerous visits to her office, including an outpatient procedure where she stitched my cervix, none with any success.
    Basically, I am OK for 1-2 days and then the bleeding starts again.
    Initially I was taken off Coumadin and was on Lovenox pre and post-procedure.
    After 5 weeks of this, she suggested the best thing I can do is to have a hysterectomy, this way "my problem will be resolved"
    I talked to a surgeon that does the robotic hysterectomy and a few days later, on Nov 12th, I was in the hospital again.
    It all went well - or so they thought. But a couple of days after that, I started bleeding again. Excessive bleeding, with huge clots and soaking pads after pads.
    Since my hysterectomy, I had two more emergency hospital visits. They re-stitched me twice, and still the bleeding does not stop. In total, I have had 6 units of blood transfused - this is how much I lost during this period!
    I am at home and I'm told to lay flat... but I've been doing that for more than a month now. Every time when I feel better, after 4-5 days of very minimal spotting, if I sit up for 1 hr, the major bleeding starts again.
    I am under the supervision of my cardiologist, a hematologist and my surgeon.
    They seem to all be out of ideas of why this is happening.
    At their suggestion, I am keeping my INR level just below 2 (which puts my valve in danger, I know!), and still I am not healing.

If anyone knows or has experienced anything similar, could you please let me know?
    I am willing to be in bed for 1 month if needed, as long as I know that that's the solution.
    Being in the dark is killing me!

Thank you,

Monica

Last edited by simonica; 12-13-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Still bleeding after 8 weeks! Any suggestions?

I am sad to hear you have had such bad complications! Have you sought the care of a different surgeon? Have they tried cauterizing tissue? silver nitrate? It stops bleeding and aids healing, I think.

I wish I had more ideas than this. I hope you get the care you need and can get on the road to healing!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
    simonica
    (female)

simonica HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have had the surgeon try the silver nitrate (my surgeon once and another one, in the ER). All it did is cause more bleeding (probably because they "messed" with the tissue :-)... I have called my hematologist to ask him to look for other possible blood disorders. I am really running out of ideas and the Internet does not help much, I could not find anything that might direct me towards a solution... Anyway, I'll keep looking. Thank you again.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I'm trying to think of a speciality for complications with hyst and I can't think of one. I know there are urogynecologists, gynos who specialize in various vaginal/uterine disorders (not dysplasia), gyn/oncologists, etc. I just can't think of who to go to, except a doctor at a major medical center.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
    simonica
    (female)

simonica HB User

Actually, my surgeon specializes in gynecologic oncology, that's one of the reason why I chose him - because he was used to more "complex" cases... Unfortunately, even for him, I am a "special case" - which nobody wants to be - not for doctors at least.

Closed Thread