It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Scared :( Advise Please..Hysterectomy, Resection and Rectocele Rpr

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
    tonsils suck
    (female)

tonsils suck HB Usertonsils suck HB User
    Scared :( Advise Please..Hysterectomy, Resection and Rectocele Rpr

Hi. I am having Hysterectomy, Abdominal Sacrocolpopexy (ASC w/Mesh), Burch Procedure, Sigmoid Resection and a possible Rectocele Repair in 9 days. I have no clue what to expect regarding pain, what my ability to move around will be, how soon can I lift my 17 lb toddler, etc. I am getting REALLY nervous.

I know it's a lot of procedures so obviously I am not looking to hear from only exact matches. But if you have had any (to all) of the procedures and can give me some idea of what I am getting myself into, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
    Celmel
    (female)

Celmel HB User
    Re: Scared :( Advise Please..Hysterectomy, Resection and Rectocele Rpr

Hi
    I had an almost full hyster 5 yrs ago due to endometriosis I made the choice of leaving a small part of my rt ovary to avoid hormone treatment for as long as i can, after the surgery I had a catherter for 3 days due to my very annoying and inflamed bladder, I was in Hosptial for 5 days and bed ridden for 2 as i was quite sick, I was self medicated with a morphine drip for 3 days and had lots of Heprin injections to reduce clotting they were not nice either, but after day 3 i felt much better and keen to get home, altho i was very slow on my feet and very sore it wasnt so bad, In my experiance the first 3 days were the worst for me.
    I was back at work in 6 weeks My Gyno amazed on how fast i recovered , but this is just my experiance we are all unique and heal differently, my answer isnt to scare you but prepare you with some knowledge post your hyster, i hope all goes well which im sure it will and I look forward on hearing of your progress.
    Best Wishes
    Cel

Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
    tonsils suck
    (female)

Thank you so much for the information. You will not scare me at all. I want to know the realistic picture of what I will experience. I am not afraid of the pain, just do not like the not knowing.

I will update once I have the surgery. It is getting close now. I will be so glad to be done with the procedures so I can get on a path of moving on with my life.

Thanks again,

B.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
    annielaurien
    (female)

annielaurien HB User

Hi -

I just had the cystocele/rectocele repair with mesh on Mon. 2/15. The most important piece of advice that I have is: BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. I had not been in a hospital except on an outpatient basis since my last son was born, 17 yrs. ago, and maybe the nurses are different in maternity ward. On this occasion, I had SO many bad experiences with indifferent/unsympathetic nurses, and please let me stress that I am NOT a difficult/needy patient. So many of them these days seem to be masking their unhappiness with this fakey-schmaltzy 'nice' that is so obviously fake it turns my stomach. This happened to me right off the bat with my intake nurse, who was just a cold fish, so when she couldn't get my IV in on the first try (and of course did not express the smallest bit of remorse for it), I requested that another nurse try, and asked that nurse to stay. If you don't like the care you're getting, and you're not too wiped out to do so, request someone else. That isn't a position you should have to be put in when you're recovering from major surgery, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say. I actually had a night aide tell me, when I told her the bed felt wet under me, that I had had "a bowel movement in the bed." This was in the middle of the night, only about 8 hrs. post-op, and it turned out that it was just the Betadine solution they had soaked the gauze packing in had leaked. Can you imagine how humiliating that was? And how terribly insensitive/stupid SHE was for a) making an uneducated assumption (there was NO smell in the room) and b) feeling it necessary to inform me of that at all?
    Anyway, enough of that. I am back at home now, resting more than I feel I need to, but the consensus seems to be that you will probably feel better than you actually are. I was extremely anxious about my first BM, as I have a tendency toward a slow gut anyway, but with fruit, TONS of liquids, the Colace supplied, and Fibercon pills 2x/day, I had relatively pain-free success on day 4 post-op, which is actually on the early side. So try not to get too stressed about that. And a lot of rectal/perineal pressure that you will start to feel about day 2 or 3 will be mitigated or eliminated (no pun intended!) after your first BM.
    Post-op pain was less awful than I had imagined it would be (and less than it seems it rightfully should be, when you consider the trauma 'down there'), so that's a potential plus for you.
    I didn't have the hysterectomy, but luckily for me found a mom nearby who had the same surgery, plus hyster, a week before me, to bounce stuff off of. I implore you not to overdo. She fainted more than a week post-op, took a fall and chipped her front tooth nearly in half, but said she'd felt fine up to that point, was walking 10-15 min. in circles around her house several times a day.
    Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions. I wish you the best of luck. I feel the drs. really fall short in dissemination of info, especially post-op-wise. There should be a laundry list of what-ifs, is-this-normals, and just general FAQs that we have to sleuth out on our own on sites like these, and that is not how it should be.
    P.S. I also have groin/upper inner thigh pain, which I am sure is the result of being in that splayed stirrups position for hours, and which I found a couple instances of on this site. But was that mentioned to me as a possible issue post-op by anybody? Nope.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
    tonsils suck
    (female)

Annielaurien -

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. The feedback is so helpful. My surgery is this Wens. so I am starting to get more anxious with all of the unknowns. It is just so helpful to hear the words of others who have gone through it.

I am so sorry to hear of everything you went through. I too have been greatly disappointed with the lack of compassion exhibited during my care for this particular issue. It was at the point when my doctor asked why I was having issues working 10 hrs a day, caring for my 16 month old, etc. when I am having to do 3 enemas and take 3 capfuls of Miralax a day. You just want to kick them in the bootie - metaphorically of course (I don't condone physical violence). But really, you have to wonder if they had to lay on the floor of the bathroom stall at their office and put in enemas, excuse themselves from patients and run down the hall, praying they make it in time...would they maybe get it then? ha!

But I will say, having other people to talk to on this board and having a place to get my questions answered has been great. So thanks again for sharing. It truly helps a lot.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User

I am getting ready to have similar surgery (rectocele, cystocele, uterine and bladder prolapse). I hope you will update with your post-op experience. I have a three and six year old and am trying to get a handle on how much help I am going to need. My parents will come help but I don't know for how long.

Hope all goes well for you!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
    annielaurien
    (female)

annielaurien HB User

Hi -

I am now nearly two weeks out. I will give you the nitty gritty of how things are progressing, in the hopes that my info will help you get more info from your dr. and/or his staff.
    I just finished a 2-mile walk. I don't know whether it was a good idea or not, but honestly apart from the physical discomfort 'down there,' I feel pretty good. I read a previous post where the poster said she was having poo issues, and that has been my main problem. My dr. said he had 'tightened' my vagina along with the surgery, and I have a line of stitches running clear through perineum (from bottom of vagina to rectum). This area gets VERY sore when I have to have a BM, and those don't seem to be happening normally, as in, I never feel 'empty' after going and often have to go several times a day. Each time is progressively more painful, so I can feel my anxiety level building through the day, which SUCKS.
    Anyway, back to the exercise. I was told walking was fine, but basically nothing else. Of course we are all informed about the 8-lb weight lifting limit, but really there isn't much else told about what to do or not to do. I asked the nurse on duty at the dr.'s office last Monday, "Well, can I bend? Stoop? Squat? Reach?" and she said all of the above were okay. So I have been doing all these things, in moderation, and without feeling like I am compromising the successful outcome of my surgery, if such a thing is even possible.
    I have been driving since one week out. The first trip was a quickie to Target close by; the second a more lengthy one where I had to take my son to a class about half an hour's drive away.
    The most discomfort for me is in my tailbone area, which I was assured is normal. I think it's a combination of everything getting moved around down there and the fact that I'm used to being on my feet all day, so have reverted to sitting/lying. It's just a constant dull ache, which is really annoying.
    Peeing is coming along just fine, I just wish the other part would straighten itself out too. I am still taking stool softeners - was given a month's supply and told to take them 2x/daily, but I'm still having the BM problems.
    Please update us and tell us how everything went and how you're feeling. I hope that you are resting comfortably at home now. I don't know how anybody with small children can do this. I am a single mom with a teenage son, and it's hard enough!

Closed Thread