It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• I want to get off the Pill...I need some answers please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
    cmill32
    (female)

cmill32 HB User
    I want to get off the Pill...I need some answers please

I'm sorry I'm posting here, but the birth control board is never any help...

I'm 24 years old and have been on OTC lo now since 2006 (5 years now), and never once have I had any serious issues. It's been great for protection, and my periods are always right on time and only last 3-4 days. HOWEVER, I never have a sex drive really, I get moody in the last 2 weeks of my pill (the week before my period and the week of), like right now I'm on my placebo week and I just bitched out my fiance for the DUMBEST thing, and the biggest reason why I want off of them - I'm constantly worrying about clots, stroke, heart attacks, etc.

I'm somewhat anxious and always worrying about little things (in high school/before ever going on the pill, I was always an extremely laid back person, and there's nothing really significant going on in my life that is stressing me out right now). I smoke sometimes (usually weekends), and call me a hypochondriac, but the thought of me having a clot, blood stroke, etc while being on this pill really scares me. I've heard and read many horror stories about how people have DIED because of OTC lo and other contraceptives...maybe it's part of my anxiety that causes my worrying of the health risks taking the pill, but either way I just DON'T want to be on the pill anymore!!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, yes I know I am young, but I really truly think that I never want children. I don't like children (my pets are my kids), I never did want kids, I do not enjoy their company and I don't think I ever will - my fiance is on the same page as me as well. So with that being said....I DO NOT want to be on birth control until I'm like 40 or hit menopause or whatever, so why can't I stop now??? I know it doesn't make sense right? I don't want kids, but I desperately want to get off birth control....I do not want a hysterectomy or anything until I know I am POSITIVE I don't want kids (maybe in my 30's or something), so that aside, are there ANY forms of BC out there that won't risk my cardiovascular health besides condoms, diaphragms, and spermicidal lube? Yes I plan on talking to my doctor, but for right now, I just want to skim the surface of this thought by asking some people who may have gone through the same thing that I am too. Please no lecturing, it's my life, I don't want to be on the pill, and all I ask for is helpful advice. Thank you so much for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: I want to get off the Pill...I need some answers please

I just got the Mirena IUD a couple of months ago. I'm 36 and a smoker, so I can't be on any pills with estrogen. I've also never been pregnant and I don't think I want any kids. Since the IUD is good for 5 years, I don't have to worry about it again until I'm 41. It sure beats taking a stupid pill every day!

If you read about it, you will find a ton of people who either hate it or love it. My suggestion is that you give it a try, and if you don't like it after 3 months, get rid of it. You'll never know unless you try it.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
    calq
    (female)

calq HB User

I too am on Mirena IUD and I love it. You don't have to worry about taking a pill at the right time or anything. It's good for five years, it didn't really hurt that bad at all and I couldn't be more pleased. Plus you don't have periods while on it added bonus

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
    bartonse
    (female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User

I'm now 29 and was on the pill (several variations of) from the age of 16 until I was 27. I came off the pill because my doc thought it was causing my migraines, this has since been found to be untrue.

Anyhow, I tried an IUD but had the worst periods of my life . . so bad that even the thickest pad and extra heavy tampon couldn't contain! I was scared to leave the house. Also had contraction-like pains randomly which was a bit dangerous when driving! Had that removed after 6 months and am now on the Depo-Provera injection.

So far so good! No periods at all in the last 9 months, no mood swings (well, none more than usual) and no weight gain. I'm not fussed on having kids either and so for the sake of an injection every 3 months it's well worth it!

Closed Thread