It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Can young 20's woman get hysterectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
    InAgony2013
    (female)

InAgony2013 HB User
    Can young 20's woman get hysterectomy?

I have a disorder of my uterus, i cannot remember what it is called, it causes me severe pain, bleeding basically 24/7, it has been preventing me from a normal life, the docs have just recently found this out although i have been suffering for a year with this, the doc suggested an iud but since i have had it nothing has changed but in fact have gotten worse, they have not discussed any other treatments and i was wondering if a hysterectomy would be best for me? I was told in 2011 that i would not be able to have more children anyway. Anyone with helpful advice????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Can young 20's woman get hysterectomy?

I'm sorry for all your pain - that must be really difficult! How long have you had the IUD? It can take several months sometimes for a treatment to start having an effect. Also, there are so many other options for treating most gynecological problems that you may want to try. There are a number of medications that reduce bleeding as well as pain. But first you need to know and research your diagnosis. Is it maybe adenomyosis or endometriosis?

I had a hysterectomy at a much older age than you and regret it daily. I became a person I don't even recognize physically or emotionally and it changed my body inside and out causing more problems and angst about what else will "crop up" as more years go by (such as surgeries to address bladder and bowel prolapse and worsening of back and hip pain).

I wish I'd known that the female sex organs (uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes) are essential a woman's entire life to keep her healthy. They aren't just for reproduction. My ovaries were removed too but, frankly, I miss my uterus more than my ovaries. Hormones partially compensate for the loss of my ovaries (although they haven't restored my pre-op youthful appearance). But there's no fix for the internal and external changes to my anatomy from the loss of my uterus and it's role in pelvic integrity. I don't even have the same feelings of closeness to my husband and children. And libido and "nether region" sensation are pretty much gone. No hormone cocktail has restored them.

I didn't have much experience navigating the medical system prior to my surgery because I didn't have any need to go to doctors. I mainly went to my gynecologist (surgeon) every year for my annual pelvic exam. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done much more research and searched high and low for a doctor who only used treatments that spared the female organs and their lifelong functions.

Best of luck to you in getting help!

Closed Thread

Tags
    bleeding, hysterectomy, pain