It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• Starting Prednisone and 6mp, scared! Any help :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
    Niccky524
    (female)

Niccky524 HB User
    Unhappy Starting Prednisone and 6mp, scared! Any help :(

I will be starting prednisone at 10mg with 6mp at 50mg as well for auto immune hepatitis. I am worried about all the side effects. I am already a little overweight and have a really round face, do you think at that kind of dosage I will get really bad side effects? I am sad and scared. If anyone can tell me their experience I would greatly appreciate it. I am 22 and do not know how long i will have to be on this.
    -Nicky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #2
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
    Re: Starting Prednisone and 6mp, scared! Any help :(

Hi Nicki. I also have Autoimmune Hep. I was diagnosed last March. I started on Very high doses of Pred and Solumedryl. When I left the hospital, I was on 60mg daily of Pred. I had many side effects after awhile. They took about 2 months to all come on. I experienced the weight gain, moon face, depression, mood swings, excess hair growth, constant hunger, and many more. There are ways of dealing with them as they come on. For the hunger, I always had apples and bananas for that. The doctors also put me on a low-fat low-salt diet. So that helped with the weight gain. You retain ALOT if you eat lots of salt or salty foods. So be careful of this. The Low-salt diet is very good to on while using Pred. I started getting a faint mustache from the excess hair growth bit. I bought a kit and periodically remove it!!!! The moon-face,,, well unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that.
    THe mood swings I mainly got really bad when I was on 40 mg of Pred daily. I would Just try to smile my way through them. I also got depressed on 40mg.
    Some people also get insomnia. Others feel very tired all the time.
    Pred affects all of us differently on some side effects and yet the same on others.
    THis disease is a horrible one to have. I am now down to 5mg daily. I'm on a taper as the Pred is hurting me and now my docs are trying to get me off it completely. But I am having extremely BAD joint pain. He had to put me on Vioxx now for that. I am still on pain meds (mscontin)as my liver is still twice the size as normal and VERY PAINFUL as well. Due to the Pred they think!!!
    I hope you don't have any flare ups and the Pred works for you. I am one who has periodic flare ups!!! lucky me.. Good Luck to you and if you have more questions, just ask, Tina

Closed Thread