It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• Question About Mono

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
    jc1234

jc1234 HB User
    Question About Mono

i had mono when i was 9. does mono stay in ur body forever??? how did i get mono at 9 if i never kissed anyone?? just wondering about mono and if anyone else has had it before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
    Re: Question About Mono

You don't have to kiss to get mono. Thats just an old saying. It's the germs you came in contact with. Yes, usually, once you have had mono, you are now immune to it. SOme people do tend to get mono twice, but that may be because they had it mild the first time and have not built up the immunity to it.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
    -T-

-T- HB User

Mono is usually caused by the EBV. (Epstein Barr-Virus) EBV is very common and its usually "caught" during childhood but may appear with no symptoms at all or mild cold/flu like symptoms then disappear after a week or so. However if you catch EBV while your an adult you will feel pretty rotten. And I mean really rotten!

Its true that Mono is called the kissing disease but it can be passed on through sneezing, coughing, sharing eating utensils or even drinking out of the same bottle/cup/can as someone who has mono or the EBV. Not everyone who has EBV will get Mono. But EBV usually does cause mono. But there is also another virus which causes mono too.

It's true that once you've had EBV or mono you are unlikely to get it again. However this isnt always the case. It has been known for mono to reaccur several times throughout some peoples life or flare up every few years. This is usually known as chronic mono.

It has also been said that during times of stress a person who had EBV or mono may find they are experiencing the symptoms of mono or EBV again. But this doesn't always mean the mono or EBV have come back. Only a blood test can diagnose this.

Unfortunately doctors aren't much help when it comes to mono. They practically tell you to "get on with it". Suffice to say they've never had mono. Its also said that adult mono is much worse than childhood mono.

Also mono can bring with it many symptoms from fever, hot flushes, dizzyness, extreme tiredness (so tired you could sleep 48hours and still go back to sleep), muscle and join aches and pains and in severe cases it can also enlarge your spleen and liver.

I think thats everything I can remember right now lol.

Oh once you've had EBV and mono you are apparently immune to catching it again but as you can see above that isnt always the case.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:51 AM   #4
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User

I tested positive for hte EBV when I was 19, has enlarged glands and an enlarged spleen, but beyond that no symptoms. However, about four months after I had it, I got symptoms like a rash, and have been feeling a bit crappy eve since (It has now been four years). Is there any other virus that one would also test positive for on the EBV?

Old 01-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
    dianne12315

dianne12315 HB User

I have a 16 yr old niece who was diagnosed with Mono when she was 5 after having the chicken pox. She recovered from that episode but now she has it again. (Both time she was diagnosed through blood work.) Her most recent diagnosis was Thanksgiving Day and after about 2-3 weeks she started feeling better but then her tonsils swelled up and her throat was very sore for a few days and the dr said it was the mono because the strep test was negative.

My niece is now complaining of not feeling good and also has numbness in her hands and legs. She is not complaining of any weakness or any other symptoms except for "just not feeling good, being tired and the numbness."

My question is: Could the numbness be related to the Mono?

Thanks Dianne

Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
    melaniekellison
    (female)

melaniekellison HB User

I had mono when I was 22 and I almost died from it. I had strep, scarlet fever, and hepatitis with it. I swelled up from head to toe and had a VERY itchy, purple rash all over my body. My fever once got up to 106 and wouldn't go down no matter what I was given. I threw up for 3 days due to a medication that I was given that I was allergic to. I had it for 6 weeks and I couldn't even walk. I couldn't hold my baby for 6 weeks for fear that she would catch it. I lost down to 86 lbs. I had weighed 100 when I got it. It was HORRIBLE. My dr. has told me that you can catch it numerous times, although it isn't common. One of the worst times of my life!!!

Closed Thread