It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• Seriously funky ANA results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
    Queserasera
    (female)

Queserasera HB User
    Seriously funky ANA results

Hi, everyone. I've had my ANA levels tested four times within the past few years. The first time, they were slightly elevated, nothing to worry about. The second time, 1:2560. So I was sent for a third test, which was 1:17(95) (sorry, can't remember the exact numbers, but it was 1:17 _ _). The fourth test was back to slightly elevated.

Can anyone explain to me why ANA levels would fluctuate so much? The second time, when I had the astronomically high numbers, my doc said he'd only seen three other patients with ANA levels that high, and all of them had lupus. I am sick (CFS), but have never had much trouble with joint pain, and the rheumatologist was able to rule it out.

I was told levels can go up and down radically because a person could be carrying a virus, the labs test differently, a different tech interpreted them differently, etc. It still seems odd to me. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
    Iwantacure

Iwantacure HB User
    Re: Seriously funky ANA results

Well, if you dont' have pain in your joints and your muscles, then you dont' have lupus.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
    teachergirl64
    Veteran
    (female)

teachergirl64 HB User

ANA levels can fluctuate constantly. I'd have your doctor run the rest of the lupus panel just to rule it out if it will ease your mind.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
    AmyTx
    (female)

AmyTx HB User

ANA levels that high to me would indicate lupus and you dont necessarily have to have muscle pain or joint pain to have lupus.. if you go to the lupus section there is criteria at the top... Do you know whether your ANA was speckeld or homogenous?? makes a difference too
    hope this helps

Old 04-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwantacure
    Well, if you dont' have pain in your joints and your muscles, then you dont' have lupus.
    Not correct. There are many manifestations of Lupus. That one just happens to be a somewhat common one.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
    Iwantacure

Iwantacure HB User

If you don't feel pain, then why do you go to the doctor?

Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #7
    NodiGoiterGirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

Sometimes extreme fatigue is enough to send someone to the doctor. That's why I went, and ended up being diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
    DGO1223
    Inactive
    (female)

DGO1223 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NodiGoiterGirl
    Sometimes extreme fatigue is enough to send someone to the doctor. That's why I went, and ended up being diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis.
    The autoimmune thyroiditis of course can cause a positive ANA. As for it fluctuating like that, it seems that ANA levels are prone to do that. But as far as I know, once it shows positive, it most always stays positive.

Since you are now being treated for the thyroid condition, may be why it seemed to come down, not sure about that, though.

It's possible you may develop another autoimmune condition down the road.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
    marys1358
    (female)

marys1358 HB User

What is the difference with a high ANA?Mine is 1:640 speckled pattern so is this high? what does that mean?So is 1:640 compared to 1:320 ETC.........High or low?
    Whats the difference between speckled pattern and MCTD?

Have a good day,Mary

Old 05-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #10
    NodiGoiterGirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

Quote:
    The autoimmune thyroiditis of course can cause a positive ANA. As for it fluctuating like that, it seems that ANA levels are prone to do that. But as far as I know, once it shows positive, it most always stays positive.
    Actually I never talked about my antibodies. Was just saying that you can have other issues than joint pain that would send you to the doctor. This was in respons to Iwantacure's post about pain.
    While we're talking about antibodies though;
    I did get diagnosed with the autoimmune thyroiditis, but never tested positive for antibodies. They were having a party, but didn't want to come out and play during my testing This seemed odd to me, but I later learned they can fluctuate. Not from my doctor mind you, from the wise ones on the thyroid board. That's why so many people go undiagnosed for years with different problems. They diagnosed me through the needle biopsy of my thyroid instead. It was nice to know I was destined to be hypothyroid and not hypochondriac. I think most people with autoimmune problems are treated this way until they get diagnosed. Very frustrating of course.
    I don't have my thyroid anymore because it got too large and wouldn't respond to treatment to help shrink it. It's been two years since my surgery.

I am definately aware of the risk of developing other autoimmune problems. My Granny was in the hospital last weekend due to a large superficial blood clot in her thigh and abdomen and is being tested for autimmune problems. She has had other clots in the past. Her doc said depending on the results of the tests, other people in the family may need to get tested. Not sure what he is thinking it could be. There are a few things I've found through research. Some were also genetic disorders, not only autoimmune.

My half brother on the other side of the family has Crohn's disease, and I think my father had it also, but he never got diagnosed.
    I actually had a scare a while back and had some intestional issues. Turned out to be a baseball sized tumor on my ovary that was twisting and causing the problem. Don't know what caused that sucker, but atleast it was benign, and it wasn't Crohn's causing my spastic colon. The tumor is gone now, along with my ovary and fallopian tube. I just had that done in January.

So I am crossing my fingers in hopes all will be well in the future.

Thanks for you input and letting me chat,
    Nodi

Closed Thread