It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• Very confused about sore throats

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

dazedandconfused10 HB User
    Question Very confused about sore throats

Ok, been told I have fibromyalgia, some people say its related to the immune system some say not. Not sure if I'm a classic case. My latest problem is a chronic cough that turned out to be cough variant of asthma. Stays well in control with the lowest dose of advair, but if I get an upper respiratory thing forget it , the cough is unrelenting, my breathing can become compromised. So far its been about 3 months since the last one. Now I seem to be on some kind of cycle with sore throats. I've had strept at least twice this year and several sore throats that seem to be viral. I run a low grade temp, feel a little off, fades away. Then about 2 weeks or less I have another sore throat and low grade temp. Last time I had them check my tonsils and they said it was only my glands were swollen. I just can't stand this chronic cycle and my husband has no tolerance for me saying I'm not feeling well. I have a child too. I've been always tired for many years, so I guess I need to read more about chronic fatigue, but if any of this sounds familiar, please advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User
    Re: Very confused about sore throats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dazedandconfused10 View Post
    Ok, been told I have fibromyalgia, some people say its related to the immune system some say not. Not sure if I'm a classic case. My latest problem is a chronic cough that turned out to be cough variant of asthma. Stays well in control with the lowest dose of advair, but if I get an upper respiratory thing forget it , the cough is unrelenting, my breathing can become compromised. So far its been about 3 months since the last one. Now I seem to be on some kind of cycle with sore throats. I've had strept at least twice this year and several sore throats that seem to be viral. I run a low grade temp, feel a little off, fades away. Then about 2 weeks or less I have another sore throat and low grade temp. Last time I had them check my tonsils and they said it was only my glands were swollen. I just can't stand this chronic cycle and my husband has no tolerance for me saying I'm not feeling well. I have a child too. I've been always tired for many years, so I guess I need to read more about chronic fatigue, but if any of this sounds familiar, please advise.
    sorry that you are not feeling well. Have you been tested for Lyme disease? NH is an endemic state for Lyme and I do know several people from NH that have Lyme and they do have sore throat problems, My son and I both have Lyme and frequently get sore throats, and he has had strep throat at least 5 times. When we initially went to see his lyme doc, I didn't even mention strep, or the sore throats and he still did a strep test because it is so common in Lyme. You can go on the lyme board and look at the symptoms, fatigue, swollen glands and low-grade temps are major symptoms also. And most people with lyme were initially diag. with fibro. There are several Lyme Literate MD in NH, they are listed on the Lyme board. Sarah

Old 05-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

thanks Sarah, I'll read, I actually used to live near Lyme CT too but don't remember ever finding a tick but I'll check it out.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
    Staar80
    (female)

Staar80 HB User

do you have any problems with you r throat looking differnt/bad?

Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

last time they said it was red that was it

Old 05-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
    Staar80
    (female)

Staar80 HB User

no bumps or ulceration by chance?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
    dazedandconfused10
    Veteran
    (female)

Not that I've been told. Someone suggested reflux medicine but that doesn't really make sense because it was ruled out last year when my chronic cough turned out to be asthma. And I didn't have a sore throat just a tickle sensation in my throat that led to nonstop coughing. It really hurts tonight and I run a low grade temp like 99.2 which is a temp and right now I can barely talk it hurst so much. I don't know if I should be looking at asthma, fibromyalgia, something immune related , epstein barr, lyme but things are always tense because I am very tired alot but the chronic sore throat is new over the past few months.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
    froggyfog
    (female)

froggyfog HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dazedandconfused10 View Post
    Not that I've been told. Someone suggested reflux medicine but that doesn't really make sense because it was ruled out last year when my chronic cough turned out to be asthma. And I didn't have a sore throat just a tickle sensation in my throat that led to nonstop coughing. It really hurts tonight and I run a low grade temp like 99.2 which is a temp and right now I can barely talk it hurst so much. I don't know if I should be looking at asthma, fibromyalgia, something immune related , epstein barr, lyme but things are always tense because I am very tired alot but the chronic sore throat is new over the past few months.
    Hi, I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I also have FM and been dx with a Chronic Tonsilitis. But it is my throat that bothers me the most. I am still on a mission to find out why. I was recently told I have GERD(reflux) but I never had any symptoms so it was a shock. I was put on Prevacid 2 times a day. I was told that would probably help my throat.....well it hasn't. So I went to a ENT doc who is going to do a upper scope to make sure nothing else is going on. I do have allergies but take allergy meds and have protective covers over all my pillows and mattress/box springs.

I kind of wonder if I CFS along with my FM...I defintely have the fatigue. My plan is to try and figure out what is going on...if all the tests come back negative then I will figure it is CFS.

Hope my story helps you.

Froggyfog

Closed Thread