It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• HELP! What could it be?! :-( Painful lumps...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
    innocence
    Veteran
    (female)

innocence HB User
    HELP! What could it be?! :-( Painful lumps...

Hi everyone,

I think I'm going to go crazy soon, worrying about what I could have This makes me sound very self-obsessed...however, I'm even more worried that I have exams at the moment and my physical symptoms and the amount I worry will prevent me from doing well!

Anyhow, I basically had tonsillitis/strep throat three weeks ago, for which I was given antibiotics (erythromycin) for a week, and I completed the course. My throat was still a little sore afterwards and I felt really nauseous for a whole week after I had completed the course, but that may be due to the antibiotics, since I often get that.

However, a week ago, I suddenly noticed this lump on the side of my wrist. It wasn't painful when I noticed it, but the next day it was SO painful!! The next day, all of my joints started to hurt..mostly my fingers and my hip. I also had chest pain and general myalgia (muscle pain). I went to the hospital and they did an ECG and Chest Xray, which were both fine. I was examined by a few doctors, and they did plenty of blood tests. The doctors seemed to think it was just a complication from the tonsillitis or some sort of viral infection, but they said they sent off bloods for SLE, RA and other autoimmune diseases..I've asked a doctor I know, and he also said I may just have a viral infection, but it could be something autoimmune. So now I'm extremely worried!!! They told me that it should just go away, but it hasn't..it's just getting worse. My muscles feel very weak (as though I can't grip things, but I can) and my lump on my wrist is still there and very painful. However, it sometimes comes and goes..gets a lot smaller and then gets bigger within 2 minutes!! But it's always painful..and the fingers on that (affected) hand are very stiff. I think I'm also developing another lump on my elbow..wasn't painful yesterday, but is painful today..perhaps I'm just paranoid, but this is how the other swelling on the wrist started out!

I called my doctor to ask about the test results. She said that she's still waiting for the Rheumatoid Factor and ANA test results, but the others are all fine. When I asked for specific results, she casually mentioned that my leukocyte count is high, but I shouldn't worry, cause it's probably because of the strep throat (although it wasn't high a week ago, right after the strep throat!)..I kept trying to ask about the others, but she just told me not to worry. She said that ESR is fine (7mm/hr), which is encouraging. Loads of tests were done..and I'm not sure if she meant that ALL of those were fine, and she's just waiting for the other two...anti ds-DNA was all done, as was CRP, but she wouldn't tell me the results!!

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. I just wanted to know if anyone has had similar problems with the lumps and very sudden joint + muscle pain/stiffness..and whether a normal ESR is really that good news... If it's not inflammation, what could the lump be?!

Thanks a lot, in advance!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread