It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• Allergic Colitis and food allergies, HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
    wlundqui
    (female)

wlundqui HB User
    Allergic Colitis and food allergies, HELP!

I am hoping that someone will be able to help us. My nephew was diagnosed with Allergic colitis when he was two weeks old (2/2007). He is allergic to milk and soy protein. As a result, he was put on Neocate prescription formula. Currently he is on Neocate and Beechnut rice cereal. We have tried him on various baby foods: carrots, pears, squash, and sweet potatoes, to which he had a reaction. Carrots - projectile vomiting and the others rash and/or hives. We have also introduced him to Beechnut Oatmeal. After eating this, his cheeks would turn fire engine red. We stopped this for a few weeks and then reintroduced it. After giving him the oatmeal, he was covered with a rash from head to toe and developed hives in about an hour. His eczema also became extremely bad.
    We have taken him to two different allergists. One who did the RAST test and the other a skin test. Both came back with no allergies. We are perplexed. I have severe environmental and food allergies. So it does run in our family.
    Here is some additional information on my nephew that might help. Since he has been born, he has had a constant runny nose and congestion. They have blamed the congestion on his severe reflux? He also has been wheezy. He has severe delayed gastric emptying and again severe reflux. His skin is extremely dry including his scalp. No matter how much cream/lotion we put on him it always looks like snake skin. He has had multiple endoscopies and one colonoscopy. He also has had a sweat test that came back negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Allergic Colitis and food allergies, HELP!

As far as the sweat test being negative... What exactly was the number and was the test done at an accreditted CF facility. It's my understanding that 0-40 is considered normal; however, DS tested at a normal 32 and he HAS cf. IMO, if they suspect CF, they should do genetic blood testing -- ambry amplified..

DS needs digestive enzymes due to pancreatic insufficiency otherwise he cannot digest fats -- so without those -- his stools would be very loose. On formula they were kinda fluffly like cake frosting and sorry if TMI, but smelled like feta cheese. Also he has very thick mucus -- his nose never ever runs.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
    kenadell
    (female)

kenadell HB User
    Re: Allergic Colitis and food allergies, HELP!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wlundqui View Post
    I am hoping that someone will be able to help us. My nephew was diagnosed with Allergic colitis when he was two weeks old (2/2007). He is allergic to milk and soy protein. As a result, he was put on Neocate prescription formula. Currently he is on Neocate and Beechnut rice cereal. We have tried him on various baby foods: carrots, pears, squash, and sweet potatoes, to which he had a reaction. Carrots - projectile vomiting and the others rash and/or hives. We have also introduced him to Beechnut Oatmeal. After eating this, his cheeks would turn fire engine red. We stopped this for a few weeks and then reintroduced it. After giving him the oatmeal, he was covered with a rash from head to toe and developed hives in about an hour. His eczema also became extremely bad.
    We have taken him to two different allergists. One who did the RAST test and the other a skin test. Both came back with no allergies. We are perplexed. I have severe environmental and food allergies. So it does run in our family.
    Here is some additional information on my nephew that might help. Since he has been born, he has had a constant runny nose and congestion. They have blamed the congestion on his severe reflux? He also has been wheezy. He has severe delayed gastric emptying and again severe reflux. His skin is extremely dry including his scalp. No matter how much cream/lotion we put on him it always looks like snake skin. He has had multiple endoscopies and one colonoscopy. He also has had a sweat test that came back negative.
    Just because he did not show an allergy to these foods does not mean anything. He could have what is called an "intolerance" which you have to figure out for yourself. You really have to be a food detective. As per the different reactions he has had to different foods, you need to keep tract of that and not give it to him again! Runny nose could be allergy to dustmites, (which you should purchase a specific mattress cover for his bed), it could be an allergy to cigarette smoke, perfumes, cleaning agent odors, fabric softener odors, dish soap, soap you wash him with and the list goes on. Try to purchase natural, organic cleaning products, etc. without perfumes. Probably the best cleaner and fabric rinse you can purchase is white vinegar and cheap too. If you go on the search, and just type in "uses for white vinegar", etc. you will really get some inf. It is very difficult but it will be up to you to determine what the allergens are since you are with him all day and the doctor isn't. Sometimes if you want something done you have to do it yourself because the doctor doesn't have the time and sometimes not the knowledge as things are so different now. You know your child's body. If I were you I would start out not giving him any dairy, or wheat products or anything with additives or preservatives or dyes. If the child gets put on a vitamin, be sure it does not have herbs in it or any dyes, preservatives, or additives because it would just cause him to be sicker. Vitamin C is good for those symptoms and you can purchase it as Magnesium Ascorbate powder and have the doctor give you a dosage. It's going to take a lot of work, but you will have a healthy baby. Prayer works, but you have to work at it also. Blessings to you, Adell

Closed Thread