It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board

• solar urticaria

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
    gkent

gkent HB User
    Red face solar urticaria

I need to know if anyone with solar urticaria lives in the Reno, NV area. My girfriend has a severe case and we would like her to know what life would be like in this area (4500 feet & high UV during the summer). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 01:58 AM   #2
    cjay

cjay HB User
    Hello

There are several sites available describing Solar Urticaria. Solar Urticaria is but one type. With Soloar Urticaria, it is important to to find out which wavelength of light is causing this condition.
    The types are: Widespread range of wavelengths are most severe.

Normal exposure to day light or electromagnetic radition has a range of 394 nanometres. 400-700 nanometers, plus heat or infrared wavelengths and microwave and/or radio wavelengths.

I cannot find any connection between altitude and this condition. You may want to first, find out the level and go from there.

Generally it is advised to use heavy duty sunscreen to filter out UVA, UVB, UBC and Infrared wavelenths.

Taking Plaquenil may be needed, but can cause severe reactions.

Having Ultra-violet therapy to desentitize the condition.

Using an Antihistamine or Cetirizine may be helpful.
    Predinisone may be taken, but not for long periods of time. Antibiotics may help, but some can cause Solar Urticaria to worsen.

Avoid going out in daytime. Wear thick clothing to guard against UV and visible light, including hats and gloves. Using sunproof umbrellas may be helpful.

Do not use tetracycline or sulphur based antibiotics, these can worsen the case.

Hope this info is helpful

Old 08-10-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
    gkent

gkent HB User
    Talking

On behalf of my friend in England, thank you. This is the most complete analysis she or I have received.

Thanks again.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:04 AM   #4
    vkhtn
    (female)

vkhtn HB User
    Re: solar urticaria

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkent
    On behalf of my friend in England, thank you. This is the most complete analysis she or I have received.

Thanks again.

I've had Solar Urticaria for 12 years. I turn completely red and itch after 8 minutes of sun exposure. The only sunblock that works for me is Coppertone "Shade" SPF 45. I think it is Parsol 1789 that makes it effective for people like us. I can finally be outside without breaking out. I do breakout if the sunblock is close to expiration so always check the expiration date. Also, several years ago, I was taking Benadryl at night for 5-6 months and I was able to be in the sun for a much longer period of time without sunblock. This sunblock has changed my life. Hopefully this will help your girlfriend.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #5
    rosed
    (female)

rosed HB User
    Re: solar urticaria

Zyrtec also works well for the itching and rash and is non-drowsy.

Closed Thread