HealthBoards (
-   Incontinence (
-   -   incontinence nurse / urologist (

clsimmons 11-02-2004 09:55 AM

incontinence nurse / urologist
For the past six months, I have been experiencing urinary incontinence. I am currently seeing an incontinence nurse, who has said that my bladder is not emptying properly, and I am left with approximately 400ml of urine in my bladder after going to the toilet. She has taught me to self catheterise and this has been helping. However, she has made it clear that she does not know that cause and that she doesn’t want to refer me to a urologist for further tests because I have been reluctant to be examined in the past (due to being abused as a child). Although I hate being examined, I do not want to carry on wetting myself for a long time, and would be ok with an examination if the doctor was female – I have learnt to trust this incontinence nurse over the past months to the extent of letting her catheterise and examine me. I now do not know what to do, because it is not practical to keep catheterising myself long term and do not want to cause a problem with the person I am seeing now. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

sammieP 11-02-2004 02:27 PM

Re: incontinence nurse / urologist
I would see if you can get an examination by a female doctor if that will make you feel more comfortable, it would be best to get it sorted out so as you can ensure there are no major problems in that area and if it is going to be a constant problem then there may be medication they can put you on to strengthen your bladder muscles. :)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.