It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Incontinence Message Board

• Female stress incontinence, question before going for physical therapy.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
    dumbunn
    (female)

dumbunn HB User
    Female stress incontinence, question before going for physical therapy.

I've had stress incontinence for 4-5 years, saw my gyn and urologist, lots of discussions. Now I'm being sent for physical therapy for strengthening the pelvic muscles, which I already do Kegel exercises. Has anyone else ever had physical therapy for stress incontinence and was it successful? Urologist said if I didn't want physical therapy or it didn't work, surgery was next option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
    germanshepherd
    (female)

germanshepherd HB User
    Hi! Just read your post.....

No I have never heard of physical therapy for stress incontinence. I am 46 now and had a hysterectomy/mmk procedure for bladder. best thing i ever did! Was so tired of wetting myself for a few yrs. My uterus was pushing on my bladder. I couldn't even put a pan of lasagna in oven with out getting soaked! It all depends on how bad incontinence is for you. The test the urologist does is a cystoscope, then one where he fills the bladder with water to see how well you hold it. I think there is one more test but for the life of me can't remember. Well anyway, failed all three! The cytoscope was to look in bladder to see if there are any abnormalties and I had red pimples in mine and had to go have bladder biopsy which was normal. The red pimples were from a lot of uti's many years ago. The mmk procedure was done through a lower abdominal incision because I was also have hysterectomy too. All the urologist did was lift the bladder slightly. I am 7 months post op now and so brand new! There is another procedure called the transvaginal sling and that was attemepted before I decided to have hysto. The urologist couldn't get sling in because of uterus being in the way.
    He aborted the mission. Do some reading on internet on mmk vesus the sling. keep me posted, take care ,Tammy

Old 09-21-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
    kassy
    (female)

kassy HB User
    Re: Female stress incontinence, question before going for physical therapy.

The physical therapy of the pelvic floor did nothing for me.. nor has the detrol, ditropan, etc.. I have seen the urologist and would kill for the bladder sling but unfortunately I am only 36 and can't say with 100% certainty I won't have kids.. so my other option is botox injections at the bladder neck.. he has placed a "test spot" on my arm to be sure I am not allergic and I go back this week to have it checked. There is nothing there so I assume this should be done in the next week or 2 .. if Kotex ever goes out of business it won't be because I didn't do my part

Closed Thread