HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Infant Care (up to 18 months old) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/infant-care-up-18-months-old/)
-   -   11 month old developmental worries *URGENT** (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/infant-care-up-18-months-old/1037194-11-month-old-developmental-worries-urgent.html)

Littlemiss82 09-14-2017 07:09 AM

11 month old developmental worries *URGENT**

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, so forgive me if a similar question has been asked before.

A bit of background info: I had Gestational Diabetes when pregnant and as a result my Son was born at 37 weeks via c section. He was a big boy weighing in at 8lb 4ozs.

As we're approaching his 1st birthday I am having increasing concerns regarding his development. He's a big lad and is approx on 80th percentile. He can't crawl at all, but sometimes bum shuffles. He pulls himself up to stand, gets into sitting position from lying down by himself, cruises along the furniture and literally walks up the stairs like and adult would if someone is holding his hand. All he seems to want to do is be on his feet and walking at the minute.

I'm worried as there has been very little babbling from my Son lots of squeals and raspberries etc, he started saying Mama and Babababa last week but this week it has tailed right off again (he is teething quite badly and looks to have about 8 teeth coming through at once, so not sure if this is why he is quieter?) he doesn't clap, point or bring things to show me. He can roll a ball back to me, and last week started blowing kisses (again this has now stopped) and he has started waving but only if someone waves at him first. He does give good eye contact but generally doesn't look at me or gaze shift when he is playing and this makes me worry about his interaction. I'm getting increasingly concerned that there is something wrong and I am so so worried. I suffer from GAD anyway but since the birth I have also been diagnosed with PND and PNA which I think is making the situation worse.

I am due to see the HV soon and will bring up these issues with her then, but I am just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation or has a similar experience they could share?

Thanks in advance
Xx

kanded 09-14-2017 10:22 PM

Re: 11 month old developmental worries *URGENT**

Hi LittleMiss,
Its understandable you would be worried about his development considering that you had a somewhat traumatic birth experience.
I'm not a therapist, but I work with several. For 11 months old it sounds like he's doing pretty well getting around. And that's really great that he wants to be active, and I would encourage that as much as possible.
With small children there are developmental milestones that the drs look for within a certain time frame. For example, they expect a child to start saying between 1-50 words between their 1st and 2nd birthdays. It depends on the child's background and experiences how much he may talk. So they don't start to worry too much about speech until they are 2 yrs old, depending on the doctor. Children will do something (like blow kisses) for awhile, then may become bored with it and move on to something else. We wouldn't expect the child to continually blow kisses for the rest of his life, or blowing raspberries, but those are good indicators of social interaction and are beginnings to making sounds for speech.
If you are continually anxious and trying to make him talk, the anxiety will carry over to him, and kids tend to do the opposite of what we want them to do when we try to force it. The best thing is to encourage speech by doing different methods: naming things such as Ball. Point to the ball, say BALL. Then you can say distinctly, There is a ball. Look, there is a ball!
DON'T say, "SAY BALL! SAY BALL!" Kids don't respond to this method well.
Just name the item. Then further down the road, when he wants the item, ask him, What do you want? And hold up the ball. Say the word, then wait.
Wait, repeat the word Ball... don't frustrate him. Just give it a try, then hand him the ball. Eventually, he will start naming things.
Play with him, imitate what he says. If he says, Baba, you say, Baba.
This encourages him to continue to talk.

Beyond this, you can take him to his pediatrician, and if the dr. sees a problem, they can send your child to speech therapy. Even if your son doesn't have any other issues, if he receives a little speech therapy it can only help him and won't hurt if he is slightly delayed. But its really difficult to determine at this age since speech is just beginning to develop.
If you are worried about autism, there is a screening tool that doctors can use to determine whether that is a concern.
Hope this helps and best wishes!