It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Growth Spurt - HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User
    Growth Spurt - HELP!

My newborn is apparently going through a growth spurt and NO ONE is getting any sleep in our house. She is 2 1/2 weeks old. She was doing great and sleeping for 3-4 hour stretches, but now we're lucky if she sleeps for an hour at a time and she's crabby in between. How long does this growth spurt last?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: Growth Spurt - HELP!

LOL... usually a week or two. I was bf'ing through that growth spurt, and I was so close to quitting. The only thing that kept me bfing was the fact that it was actually quicker to pull out a boob than to make a bottle, esp. with my son running around.

Mine is just getting to the end of another growth spurt that hit about 5 1/2 weeks, she'll be 7 tomorrow. I think that is a really common age for another one.

Camille was 7'6 at birth (left the hospital at 7'1) and weighed in at 11 lbs at 1 month. I know she's over 12 now. She's outgrowing all her newborn onsies.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 05-12-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for responding. A week or 2, huh? That'll put her right into the next one, around 6 weeks. I miss the angel that slept for 3-4 hours, especially at night. DH did the overnight shift last night and he has a hard time getting her to sleep at all. She was crying inconsolably just about all night, so even though it was my turn to get some sleep "off duty," I couldn't sleep with DD screaming. I can usually get her to sleep, but can't keep her there for more than an hour at a time anymore. She's been in this growth spurt since Tuesday, but last night was the worst. Hopefully she'll get out of it soon. Do they go back to their old sleeping habits afterwards? She was a good sleeper.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:26 AM   #4
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

this is a silly question, but how do you know it is a growth spurt? my DS is 8 weeks and he has been really fussy latley, but not nursing as he should if he was having a growth spurt IMO. i think that it is dairy of any kind if i should happen to eat it. his bowel movements have slowed quite a bit as well, i don't know if this has left him uncomfortable or what. he acts like he wants to nurse all the time, but pulls off and spits up a little cause he is so full. is this the same thing?
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

nyxin, I only know it's a growth spurt because I signed up for a program through the hospital where a parent volunteer calls every week for the first 3 months and then we get together with other parents who have infants the same age from 3-6 months. She called earlier this week and mentioned that the baby would be going through a growth spurt soon, asked a few questions about her change in eating/sleeping habits and told me she hit it. I also looked it up in my What to Expect the First Year book and that seems to be what it is that she's going through. The growth spurt my DD is going through has her eating smaller "meals" more frequently and sleeping more during a 24-hour period, but for shorter intervals at a time, which has been frustrating because she doesn't sleep much more than an hour at a time anymore all day and all night. Siren mentioned the frustration with constant nursing during the growth spurt. I'm bottle-feeding, but I could see how it would be quite frustrating if I was nursing as well. I guess this growth spurt thing happens between 2 and 3 weeks, around 6 weeks, and again around 3 months, give or take a couple weeks. Spitting up, discomfort and fewer bowel movements might be a sign of something else that you may want to talk to the pediatrician about. I'm not sure about that.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

Nyxin, fewer bowel movements is common around 8 weeks in breastfed babies. It's not uncommon for a baby to go 2 or 3 days without a bm because breastmilk has so little waste to eliminate. In the first few weeks they have a reflex that causes them to poop very frequently, usually during or right after every feeding. But the reflex goes away between 6-8 weeks, and they can go days. My DD had gone 3 days without a poop and had two massive ones last night. You can tell she'd been working on them all day yesterday. I was told by the pediatrician that he didn't care how often she pooped, as long as it looked normal when she did. It should look like yellow breastfed poop no matter how long it's been.

As for the fussing and spitting up, I think it may be over eager nursing. My DD has been doing this too, and I noticed that she's nursing too fast and swallowing air. She's still hungry, but her tummies full of air, so she's squirming, fussing, grunting, and spitting up, but she's still not totally full. Sometimes I can't get her to burp right away, but she's still hungry and that's when I notice these things the most. Also she does that when she's working on a poop.

Also, she does just get to where she wants to nurse just for the sake of nursing, even if she's not hungry. That will also cause her to spit up and pull away because she can't hold anymore milk. Did you read my other thread about baby not sleeping w/o a boob in her mouth? LOL. This may be what your son is doing too.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 05-13-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Closed Thread