It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• 17 days old, is it too early to sleep in crib?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User
    17 days old, is it too early to sleep in crib?

my son is 17 days old and i think i want to put him in the crib vs. the basinette next to the bed now. Anytime i put him in the one in the living room that is more like a crib we both sleep better. of cours i have been on the couch and him just across the room. but i think it would be good to put him in the crib but i don't know if he is too young. What should i be worried about doing that? i sit up and check on him if he makes a few noises at night but him bieng in his room i could not do that. i worry about him choking or something, or stopping breathing . i am a first time mommy and i don't know if i am over doing it. any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: 17 days old, is it too early to sleep in crib?

I don't know... SIDS is most common in babies 2-4 months of age. And I'm SIDS paranoid, so I keep my babies with me until after that window has passed. I just remember reading that statistically SIDS is most likely to strike from 2-4 months, boys more often than girls, and it's most likely to occurr in their cribs in their own rooms between 12 and 4 am. But this raises the question "Is SIDS preventable?" KWIM? Maybe those crib statistics are just because most babies sleep in their cribs by that age, so that's where it happens most?

I know my DS started rolling back to front at 3 months, so I kept him either with me or in the carseat where I could make sure he didn't roll over on his tummy at night. But I may not be the best person to give you advice on this, because I have some anxiety issues sometimes. LOL. I worry too much. With my DD I'm alot more laid back. I even let her nap on her tummy in the daytime (in the same room as me, and I still make sure she's breathing every 5 minutes, no joke!) because she sleeps so much better that way. But I'm still scared to leave her on her own at night.

But I know many babies who have slept in their own rooms in the crib since shortly after they were born who are just fine! And remember, SIDS is a rare occurrance, even among tummy sleeping newborns. I think it is totally what you feel comfortable with. Like I said, I have anxiety issues, esp when it comes to my kids (I still check on my 2 year old all the time cause he puts the blanket over his head and it freaks me out!!!) so my practice is not necessarily the best, it's just what keeps me sane.

Good luck!
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 05-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I have 2 kids (10 years and 3 weeks) and have had both in a crib in their own room since day 1 with no problems. We have a very sensitive monitor, so I can hear every noise the baby makes, but I think we all sleep better with the baby in her own room, including the baby. I was surprised to hear that the SIDS statistics are actually very low and it is not very common. With as much as you hear about it, I thought it was much more common than it actually is. There are things you need to be careful of in a crib or basinet, like soft blankets, pillows and toys should not be put in the crib with the baby. If you're concerned about receiving blankets, you can put the baby in sleeper blankets. You can look up SIDS on-line and there is an official website that will give you a list of things to be aware of. Personally, I think it is easier to get them to sleep in their own room if you put them there early, as early as you are comfortable with.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
    dannysmom
    (female)

dannysmom HB User

All 3 of my kids have slept in their cribs right from the start. Everyone gets a much better night sleep.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

i will look up the sids stats. thanks. i am paranoid. i totally thought i would be ok with putting him in there starting last night and than chickened out ten minutes into it. I think i almost start feeling guilty that i want him in there so i can sleep better. then to think if something were to happen it would be me being selfish that possibly could have prevented it. i just am nervous but eventually i am going to have to do it and jump that hurdle. i know he would probably sleep better and i think i would too. i really do hear all this stuff about sids and that is mostly what i am worried about. i will have to look it up.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
    brwneyez9
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I don't think they are ever to young to put in the crib. SIDS is going to happen no matter where they are. SIDS has went down since they have recommened babies sleep on their sides or back instead of their bellies. Just don't put anything in the crib either. My little girl is 8 months old and has been in her crib since she was 4 weeks. She doesn't get anthing no blankets or toys in the crib. Now they say no bumpers too, but she has one. She moves around so much right now that she has gotten little legs caught in the rails of the crib. You know what really helped me with putting her in her own bed is one of those video monitors. Oh that is the best thing we got. We have the one that is the size of like a walkie talkie. Oh you can she her moving every where and you can here breathing. It is so great. Love it. That really helped me to put her in her own room. Which has been really great. Now that where is wants to be. Not sleeping with us and she goes to sleep on her own too and sleeps through the night. Has really done all that since she went into her own room. I never let get attach to me rocking her to sleep or our bed. I have friends who son is 3 and he still sleeps with them cause she couldn't move him to his own room. Another friends who son is almost 2 and has to be rocked to sleep for all naps and bed time. That was another that really helped me decided to do what i have done. I will rock her sometimes, but we don't make it and every night thing. She refuses to sleep anywhere but her own bed. Unless she is staying over somewhere. It's like so know her bed isn't there so she will sleep in her pack and play. I know how you feel about the whole SIDS thing. I had a brother who would have been 25 year old in August who passed away from SIDS. So SIDS hits home for me and since my little girl was born thats all i have done is worry about it. I know it won't be the only thing i am going to worry about. As she gets bigger there is something else that is going to worry me just as much as SIDS does right now. We are parents know and worry is just something that we are always going to know as parents. We are going to worry about everything now.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
    Summerrainel
    (female)

Summerrainel HB User

the AAP recommends that babies sleep within arms reach of their mothers, for safety's sake.. infants DO make a little noise moving around when they are dying of sids, and are often found pressed against the side of their cribs where they have moved when struggling to breathe. A mother is more likely to notice something like that if she is in the same room (or even better, the same bed, arms reach cosleepers are great from what ive heard.) If the baby sleeps well in a crib, put the crib in your room next to your bed. Other reasearch has shown that babies who sleep WITH their mother are at a much reduced risk of sids, because the mothers breathing stimulates the babies, and the baby doesnt sleep as deeply, deep, long periods of sleep are associated with increased rates of SIDS. Breastfeeding further decreases the risk of sids.
    With Love,
    Marie

Old 05-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #8
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks you guys. I just can't even imagine something like that happening. That would be awful and I wake up and touch him if I can't see him breathing. I am just scared right now. I am not ready to have him that far from me at night. The room is right next to ours but i just would think I would hear him struggling if he choked or anything. Thanks for the knowledge.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

I'm gonna give my opinion here. I'm not meaning to insult anyone who makes a different choice. Everyone has something that works better for them and their own beliefs.

But human infants are the slowest to mature nurologically and otherwise, and they are the most helpless newborns in the animal kindgom. It feels natural to me to sleep with my baby right beside me. A mama cat flips out when her newborns are out of her sight. All other mammals who are born immature and helpless are right there beside their mothers. This makes so much sense biologically, as these babies can't survive without her protection and it's convienient from a nursing standpoint, especially in mammal babies that need to nurse frequently.

Human milk is very low in protein and fat compared to cow's milk and they need to be fed more frequently. Cat's milk and the rest of the primates are the same way. This gives me the impression that it is natural for us to practice attachment style parenting in the early months like those other mammals. None of them expect any type of independence from their young until a certain point. That point with me and my kids seems to be around 6 months old. I think this seems natural whether you are breast or bottle feeding.

Again, do whatever you feel comfortable with. This is just something that's occurred to me because I have had to defend my co-sleeping position so many times lately against those who swear it's bad for babies and dangerous. But once again, we are all different, and all babies are different, and humans are different from the rest of the animals in many ways. But this does seem to me like something to think about.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 05-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

What ever works, GO FOR IT!! Sleep is a precious commodity during the first few months. I used the crib from day one with my DD. She hated the bassinet. My DS is 3 months old and still using the bassinet. Every child is different. Do what you feel is best for your child. Don't worry about everyone else.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #11
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I tried to sleep him in his own room the other day and only lasted 10 minutes. I can't do it. I just feel like I need to protect him or something. I need him close to me but at the same time I don't want him to get used to it and not sleep in his crib when he gets older. He is still very new.....not even 3 weeks yet. Thank you for the advice and experiences.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #12
    brwneyez9
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I know that you really want your baby to sleep in his own crib. That is really great. You are also a worried mother. Which we all are. I so understand your concerns. Like i said i my last post i truely know how you feel. Since i lost my brother. It is very scary. Like i said before we are always going to have something that just really worrys us. All that i think is really normal. I think if you want you baby to get use to his crib, but it in the room with you. I really agree with alot that one of the other posters had to say, but i think that you should give some considersation on when you want to put him in his own crib. You don't want it to be a problem when he gets old. I have seen it become a problem. I agree with letting you newborn baby sleep with you, but i am not so sure about 2 or 3 year old.I don't think letting your baby sleep with you is bad or sleep in the same room. You baby is still very new to this world and is really use to the sound of you breathing and heartbeat. That is very comforting to them. If it would have been my decision only then i would have let my DD sleep in our room longer. I would even like to do it sometimes now. I have a husband and i think to keep a healthy relationship we put her in her own room. We have friends who's son is 3 and just moved into his own room a few months ago. Now they are up like six times a night with him because he wants to be in there room. It was really starting to hurt their relationship. I think there has to be a healthy medium somewhere. I have read a number of baby books and they say that those types of habits will not form in a child under 4 months and think a few said 6 months. I can see that with my DD. Everything that we have done after 4 months is be different. I don't know how true all that is but it seems that way with us. Do you let him sleep in his crib when he takes naps? That would be a good start. Just for him to get use to sleeping in it. Then maybe you could do something slowly. One night a week start out put him in his crib for a few hours. Like when you are still up and wake and then when you go to be take him in there with you. Then that one night slowly start letting him stay in there longer. Then you can slowly add nights. Like the second night few hours and then with you. So that like night one he slept in his crib and the second night in his crib for a couple of hours. Something like that. Put him in there a wake. We did that right away with our DD and now she can put herself to sleep without crying. She doesn't depend on us to rock her every night. Sometimes we do, but not all the time. This is just a suggestion. This is your baby and you did to do what is ultimately comfortable for you. I wish you the best with this. I know its not easy.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
    ahall
    Veteran
    (female)

ahall HB User

I dont think putting him in a crib is too soon, but like one lady said, go with whats comfortable for you. I had my daughter in her bassinett until she was 4 months, at this stage she was pulling herself to look over the edge so this forced me to put her in her crib. I was terrified of SIDS until I saw a monitor called Angelcare. It has a sensor that monitors the baby's breathing and if theres no movement for 10 seconds it beeps pretty loud and after 20 seconds an alarm goes off until the baby starts moving or until you come and turn it off, and believe me, its one loud alarm. My daughter is 9 months old now and I still turn it on every night. I have total comfort knowing its monitoring her breathing, not that theres been any problems.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #14
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

I was going to recommend that monitor as well. My friend used one and she said it was great. I plan on getting one when I do put DS #2 in his crib. right now he is in his bouncer which goes in the bassinette for half the night, and the other half he is with me. it is kinda a wierd situation, but he is colicky only at night and the vibration of the bouncer takes care of whatever bugs him.. Then after 1:00 am he is all better until the next evening. wierd huh? at our 2 month check up the other day the doctor was really mad that i slept with my son, she said that i was putting him at risk and i commented about all the cultures around the world that co-sleep. she said 'that's because thy lack sophistication' OMG!!!! i won't be seeing her again!
    I agree that 6 months is a good gauge to plan for as far as cutting the cord a little more. everyone sounds like they are doing a great job!!!
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxin
    wow. a lot of parents let their kids sleep with them. i have my son in his basenette but when it is way too early for me to get up and he is being fussy and not really wanting to go back to sleep for a few hours i totally let him sleep on me for that two more hours i need to sleep. do you think he is colicky because of gas maybe? our son is only fussy in the evening and it just seems like it is his tummy hurting or something. how old is your son?

Closed Thread