It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Problems with switching between breast and bottle. Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Problems with switching between breast and bottle. Help!

Has anyone else had problems with nursing after introducing bottles? Camille has been getting the occasional bottle of pumped milk or formula since day 1 and had no problems. She's 2 1/2 months now. But the last few days have been really frustrating. We went to see my in laws and got the chance to get out and do stuff without the kids, so we totally took advantage of it. So she was getting about 3 or 4 pumped bottles a day because the whole family was wanting to be able to feed her and we wanted to be able to go out.

Ever since we got back, she's been fussy and mad and impatient at the breast. When I try to nurse her, she gets mad and pulls and headbutts me and squirms and yells and unlatches repeatedly. Of course, this impedes letdown even more and makes her even worse. Then after letdown, she still fusses and squirms a bit before she finally settles down to eat. I don't think it's really nipple confusion, because at night she does fine when she's half asleep and snuggled down in the bed with me. On top of that, she will only nurse well in the side lying position, and seems to have developed a preference for my left breast. She does better with that one for some reason, which is strange, because that's the side that's more uncomfortable and awkward for me.

Anyway, I hate for her not to be able to take a bottle, but this is ridiculous. It probably takes 10 minutes just to get her settled in at the breast with her griping at me the whole time. Will this pass? Any advice or similar experience? Does the positioning and the breast preference have anything to do with the bottles or is that something else?
    DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User
    Re: Problems with switching between breast and bottle. Help!

Please help! I'm going crazy here!
    DD born 3/24/2005

Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
    Kiera1595
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I went through the exact same thing with my daughter!! Everything you said she was doing. I went back to work and suddenly she was getting a bunch of pumped bottles. Sadly I have given in. I pumped solely for about 2 weeks, but got so tired of doing that and it made my milk lessen. I tried to quit pumping yesterday and around 24 hours I was in agony, so I pumped out 8 ounces.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you two can figure it out. If you really want to keep it up, I suggest joining a le leche group. A friend of mine is in one and they have been a great source of help and support for her.

Good luck, I feel your pain!

Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
    Lawgirl
    Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

I think I've heard other suggest to feed her when she is not so hungry. If she normally eats every 3 hours, offer the breast after 2 and a half hours, or even more frequently. That way she won't be so frantic to eat and maybe she won't get so impatient. Also, maybe it's the kind of bottle you use? I don't know anything about bottles, but they do have different grades of nipple, right? Like newborn, older baby, etc. Maybe make sure when she does have a bottle it's a really slow-flowing newborn nipple, so she has to work just as hard to get milk from the bottle as the breast.

Finally, this is just me, but I would not compromise your breastfeeding relationship just because second-cousin Irma (or whoever) wants to feed the baby. I mean, if you need a break and want to go out I say good for you, and leave bottles for the baby with your family. But be sure you're not getting pressured into bottle feeding her just because others think it's cute to get to give her a bottle. There are lots of other ways they can enjoy the baby including changing, bathing, holding, snuggling, and even being the one to put her to bed. Just my opinion, but I know I got bullied into doing things differently than I really wanted with these guys when my in laws were here, and looking back, it makes me so mad!

I hope it works out for you!

Closed Thread