It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Baby Acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
    babygirl224
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl224 HB User
    Baby Acne

My dd is a little over 3 weeks and she is getting terrible baby acne. What causes this and how long will it last. Is there anything I can do for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
    MissT
    Veteran
    (female)

MissT HB User
    Re: Baby Acne

my son has it too, I was wondering the same thing on how to clear it up if it's possible.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
    Angela3
    (female)

Angela3 HB User

My daughter had it the first month and a half of life, many things can cause it, dry skin, aby skin not used to the air... There is nothing you can do to stop it, eventually it will go away on its own, trust me

My friends a nurse and thats the info she gave me....

I have 2 other kids that never had it, just ISabella...shes 5 months now and has beautiful skin.

Her acne would be in clusters and be on her face, forhead, scalp, neck and chest area.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User

Mine had that too. He kept it for about three months. Something I did, accidentally at first, was put oatmeal on it. I had fed him his oatmeal cereal and gotten some on his face on one of hte places where hte acne was really bad, and I guess somehow I missed it. Well, later on when I saw it, I wiped it off and hte acne had cleared up some. So, as bad as this sounds, he had pictures a few days later, so I just made oatmeal pastes out of his cereal and put it on hte places. Also the dr can give you meds if it is really bad.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
    Elliesmom
    (female)

Elliesmom HB User

My daughter had it, I was told it was from the large dose of hormones from moi, right before she was born. I did nothing other than wipe her face everyday with warm water and it has cleared up. I did lance a few large angry ones with my aesthetician's tool, I must admit.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
    Maxx09

Maxx09 HB User

My first baby had it bad and at the same time he had male pattern baldness! Theres really nothing to do but wait it out. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User

We are dealing with this too. My daughter is 7 weeks, and I think the worst is over now.

She had a ton of milia on chin, cheeks, and nose at birth, and they would start to surface and be pimple-like beginning around the 3rd week or so. I admit to scratching a couple off. She is now 7 weeks and about 95% of the milia is gone. She'll have a small breakout area every once in a while still, but nothing like it was a few weeks ago.

As said above, I just make sure I wash her face with water & a washcloth. That's about it.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
    wyliemom
    (female)

wyliemom HB User

Hey babygirl, long time since Ive written to you. How is the baby? My daughter has a newborn rash (they call it) on her face and on her back. At first I thought it was a heat rash but the pharmacy told me it wasnt. They said it could also be called baby acne and to just rinse with warm water and babysoap but not to really mess with it, it would go away. Hanna is now almost 5 weeks old and its still there but not as bad. Hope she gets better and your doing fine!

Old 10-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
    S&J
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

S&J HB User

Hi there!
    my ds had it too and i was concerned...but it did go away at about 10 weeks. I just wiped his face with a damp cloth and that was about it!
    S

m/c *angel* 10 weeks July/04
    IUI's-2 for bfp Sept 27/07

Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
    OctoberMom2be
    (female)

OctoberMom2be HB User

my ped said if it gets to be too much try hydrocortizone(SP) cream!

Old 11-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
    I_love_lucy
    (female)

I_love_lucy HB User

I found this info...hope it hopes a little...

Baby Acne
    Related concepts:
    Pimples
    Introduction:
    To many parents' dismay, their beautiful newborn's face breaks out with red bumps. This is called baby acne. It tends to occur at about the same age as the baby's peak gas production and fussiness. How attractive! (This all coincides with parents' maximum sleep deprivation.) Parents are often quite concerned both about how these bumps look and about their significance.

What is it?
    The bumps of baby acne are quickly fleeting evidence of the connection between a motherís body and her babyís. During the final moments of pregnancy, her hormones cross the placenta into her child. Among other things (such as maturing the lungs), this stimulates the oil glands on the skin, eventually giving rise to the baby acne.

Who gets it?
    Baby acne is a common newborn condition. It can be present at birth, but typically appears at 3 to 4 weeks of age.

What are the symptoms?
    Fleshy or red pimples occur predominately on the cheeks, but are also quite common on the forehead and chin. Whiteheads are sometimes present.

The acne will be most prominent when the baby is hot or fussy (increased blood flow to the skin), or when the skin is irritated. If the skin comes into contact with cloth laundered in harsh detergents, or becomes wet from spit-up saliva or milk, the condition may appear worse for several days.

Is it contagious?
    Babies develop the acne from the maturing effect of mothersí hormones.

How long does it last?
    This condition tends to come and go until the baby is between 4 and 6 months old.

How is it diagnosed?
    Baby acne is recognized based on the timing and appearance.

How is it treated?
    Usually, no treatment is necessary. It can help to gently cleanse the face once a day with water, and perhaps mild baby soap. Oils and lotions do not help, and may aggravate the condition. If the acne is severe or lasts beyond 6 months, your pediatrician may prescribe a mild medicine to help.

How can it be prevented?
    Baby acne is a normal stage that is difficult to prevent. Try to take many pictures before the baby acne begins.

Allergy
    Make sure this is indeed acne, and the rash is not just because your baby is allergic to something. If you feel your child may have an allergy, keep a lookout for any possible allergens, and keep them away from your baby.

Winter Care

If your baby has acne, how do you look after her skin in the winter? Always remember, use less moisutriser and stay away from heavy creams. Use light, non-scented lotions. Also, make sure you do not over-bundle your child. Your baby will show her discomfort if she is too cold, but will not, if she is too warm. As a result, your childís skin will break out into a heat rash (yes, heat rash is surprisingly common in the winter too) worsening her acne. So if you take your baby outdoors in the winter, cover her up well, but make sure you remove some of the layers when you bring your child indoors.

You can expect that the rash will soon be a memory. The oil glands will disappear, and you won't see the acne again until you turn around once, and your baby is a teenager. This time the acne will be evidence of hormones transforming your baby into an adult.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 11-03-2005 at 10:20 AM.

Closed Thread