It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Pooping Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
    emilyallison
    (female)

emilyallison HB User
    Pooping Problems

My 7 week old DS is exclusively breastfed and having pooping problems. During the afternoon and evening, he has no problems pooping. But from about 11pm until noon the next day, he doesnt poop at all, even though he is still being fed every 3-4 hours. It seems like his little body is straining and hes trying too, but he cant. When he finally does, its normal poop, not constipated poop. I thought he was constipated, so I tried the things you guys suggested form my constipation post. I feel so bad for him, you can tell hes uncomfortable. I left a message for his Dr, but havent heard back yet. Any opinions or advice??
    Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
    DontAsk
    Inactive

DontAsk HB User
    Re: Pooping Problems

I'm not breast feeding, but I had the same problem w/ my son at 2 weeks, hes now 5. I had to change to soy. Me and his dad cant take milk. I would ask your Dr.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Hi emilyallison. My DD is also exclusively breastfed and we went through exactly the same thing. When she was about the same age she would spend about 4 hours straining to poo. She'd be groaning in her sleep as she strained but she obviously wasn't too uncomfortable because she didn't even wake up! When she did poo it was normal and she wasn't constipated. My health visitor said it was because her digestive system was still quite immature so she had to work hard to poo. She grew out of it when she was about 10 weeks I think. She still strains now but just for a second before she poos.

I believe it's very uncommon for breastfed babies to be constipated. Also because breast milk is so easily digested and the perfect recipe for what baby needs there is often not any waste products so they don't need to poo. Apparently breast fed babies can go ten days without pooing because they are metabolizing everything in the milk and there is so little waste.

Spanish

Last edited by Spanish; 12-05-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
    emilyallison
    (female)

emilyallison HB User

Thanks Spanish, that makes me feel alot better!
    My Dr also said not to worry, I just hate seeing him so uncomfortable!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
    hugs28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hugs28 HB User

my ds is now on food, but when he wasn't he was just breastfed and never had any problems. I have not heard the 10 day thing, my ds would poo like twice each feeding lol, now he goes like once or twice a day, I have not had a day yet that he has not gone at least once. Consitpation is unlikely in breastfed babies as spanish said, so I think it is just what she said that the baby is not totally mature yet so it takes more to get it out. my ds never went through that, all he had to do was sneeze and he pooed lol, good luck

Closed Thread