It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Dry skin / rash - please recommend washing powder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User
    Dry skin / rash - please recommend washing powder

My baby has a red rash over most of her body. They are little red bumps and her skin feels dry. It doesn't seem to bother her too much, she doesn't scratch at it or anything but I would like to help it clear up. I don't use soap in the bath, I dissolve some epiderm cream in there and also put the cream on her skin twice a day and although it doesn't seem to be getting any worse it's not getting any better either. I'm wondering if it might be our washing powder because it is everywhere except her face and nappy area and it's worst where clothes would rub (stomach, chest, shoulders and hips). I was originally using Waitrose own non-bio for sensitive skin and recently I've tried Fairy non-bio but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. My husband wondered whether pure soap flakes would be better.

Can anyone recommend a washing powder or liquid that would be good for a baby with what seems to be very sensitive skin? I'm in the UK so it needs to be something I can get here or on the internet.

Alternatively does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing and can suggest what else might be causing it and what I can do?

Many thanks

Spanish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Dry skin / rash - please recommend washing powder

Have you had your child checked for excema. A coworker's granddaughter has it and her skin looked so red and chapped. Finally took her in and got her some ointment and she's fine now.

My mom always swore by Ivory Snow, which was basically soap flakes. Before DS was born I picked up an "All Brand" made just for babies. That one did have some scent in it -- smells kind of like baby shampoo. My nephew had very senstive skin and his parents used dreft and then in the tub uses Johnson's Baby Bar soap.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
    shelliam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shelliam HB User

I would ask your Dr. They may be able to reccomend somethig or prescribe something. DS and DD do much better with ALL brand detergent than Dreft.
    Spanish- Is this rash new? If so it may be an allergy to food orsome product or from teething DS would get one every time he was about to get a tooth.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
    Boo Boo
    Veteran
    (female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi,

l would recommend keeping a bowl of water in the room to help moisturise the atmosphere, this time of year us mums tend to use heating alot and sometimes we can over do the layers! this can contribute towards the baby's dryness. l took my dd to the doctors and he told me dd had mild exzema. I use epederm on her scalp ( not too keane on this) as she had cradle cap and l use dermol ointment in her bath which is really good. I then top up with diperbase cream after her bath. I thought of the same when my dd had this red tiny rash. I use non -bio powder Asda/tesco brand and its fine. Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Thanks for your comments. I have excema myself so got cream for DD as soon as I felt her skin was dry. I have been using the Epederm cream both in the bath and as a moisturiser but it doesn't seem to be making any difference so far.

Shelliam: I don't think it can be a food allergy because she is breastfed and I haven't started weaning her yet. Unless, is it possible she could be reacting to something I've eaten? Teething could be a possibility - she's 4 1/2 months so around the right age, plus she's been quite fussy at going to bed the last couple of nights and has been sticking her tongue out a lot (like she's pushing it against her gums) and she started fussing over feeding but when I tried rubbing her gums for a bit she then settled down and fed ok. The only thing is that she's had this rash for a few weeks, would it start that early?

Boo Boo: Thanks for the advice about the bowl of water. I'll sort that out tomorrow.

Spanish

Closed Thread