It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• When did you start brushing your babys teet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
    nicky2005
    (female)

nicky2005 HB User
    When did you start brushing your babys teeth?

DS is 15 mths old and has only 2 bottom and 4 top teeths. I have tried cleaning his mouth with a washcloth but he doesnt like it. I am wondering when am i supposed to get him a toothbrush?

When did you all start brushing your baby's teeth and did they have all their before you started?

Your replies will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by nicky2005; 12-27-2005 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User
    Re: When did you start brushing your babys teet

Well the dentist told me that you really don't have to worry about it until they are a year, but the nurse at the dr told us to start doing it as soon as teeth show through. So I don't really know. We haven't done it yet, I am not sure DS will let us. He is very strong, and rather mean, lol. Not really he just does not like his face messed with at all!

Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
    nicky2005
    (female)

nicky2005 HB User

How old is your DS cattieos?

Old 12-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
    cattieos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattieos HB User

Oh sorry, nicky2005, I probably should have mentioned that, lol. He is 6months now, but he has had teeth out for about a month and a half now.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
    shelliam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shelliam HB User

I just recently started brushing DD teeth. She is 6 1/2 months and has had them in a month or so but they seemed tender before. I don't think it is a huge plaque issue but it helps them stay cleaner and become acustom to it.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:49 AM   #6
    ~PJ~
    Veteran
    (female)

~PJ~ HB User

My dd is 11 1/2 months and I have been brushing hers ever since they came through. Now I have to sit on the toilet seat and lay her down on my legs and kind of tilt her upside down lol it's the only way she keeps her mouth open for me and she seems to think its funny too! Also I let her have a try by herself in front of the mirror after I've given them a good clean.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:46 AM   #7
    I_love_lucy
    (female)

I_love_lucy HB User

My DD is 10 months old and only has 2 teeth...her teeth seem to be discolored or stained in between...she does take an antibiotic every day since 3 1/2 months old and will continue to until this coming June. She also had a very high fever for 3 days in the the hospital, so I don't know if this caused her teeth to be the color they are.

I have been brushing her teeth at least once a day for a couple of weeks now. I bought a finger tooth brush w/ paste for infants that contains no fluoride. The brush slips on your index finger and it has little nubs on it to brush the teeth. The paste is flavored apple/banana...she likes it believe it or not...I do it in the highchair after lunch or dinner. I make it fun...playing with her and gently rubbing her 2 teeth until they squeek!!! She laughs and it only takes a minute to do. I plan on showing her teeth to the pediatrician at her 12 month appointment. On our last visit the teeth were not all the way in, and could not see any discoloration at that time.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 12-28-2005 at 04:48 AM.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

My DS has his two bottom teeth, and they have been in for about a month or so now. He's 6 months, and as of yet, we haven't brushed them. I have heard differing opinions on whether to brush babies teeth or not. With my DD, we didn't start really brushing her teeth until she had a lot more in, like around 11 months I think. But one of those finger brushes might work well, like I_Love_lucy was talking about. It can't hurt to start brushing them now I guess, but I also wouldn't worry too much about it if you don't right away.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
    2fst
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2fst HB User

I was using the same "toothbrush" as ILOVELUCY but DS bites it really hard and it hurts. Right now I let him have a toothbrush to "play" with whenever he is on the changing table. He loves to just chew on the bristles. I only let him play with it there so I can keep an eye on him. But he never sticks it in too far as he likes the bristles on his gums/teeth. This is as far as I go when it comes to brushing teeth. He absolutely hates anyone going near his mouth.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
    nicky2005
    (female)

nicky2005 HB User

Thanks everyone! I will go and get the finger brushes and start brushing his teeth. I know its better to start young so they get used to the idea.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread