It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• flat head

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User
    flat head

ds is 14 weeks his little head is starting to look a little flat at the back.

1. does it correct itself properly.
    2.does it going flat hurt them, cause pain that is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User
    Re: flat head

deleted...my post showed up twice.

Last edited by Gayle0000; 06-12-2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: deleted

Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User

It goes away. DD is 9 months old, and I noticed her flat head was gone around 7 months old. I didn't make a point to do anything about it...I just noticed it was gone.

At about 6 months old, DD started sleeping on her side some of the time. She did it on her own...I didn't set her down like that, so that area was not pressed down flat on a matress all night anymore. Also, 6 months was when she started sitting up on her own...and for long periods of time. She didn't need to be propped up in a carseat, bouncy chair, or other support when I put her down.

I'm positive those were the reasons the flat head went back to normal.

It doesn't hurt. Their heads are moldable.

My Ped told me a while back the flat head was a good thing to see from his perspective. It was showing him that the Parents were putting the baby to sleep on their backs.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

I have a different opinion on this. My son had torticollis ( which is a neck condition) and went for physical therapy. At therapy, I would see babies with flat heads, mostly with helmets on. They had to receive therapy for this condition ( I don't remember the name). In most cases, I have heard that it goes away. But, in many cases it does NOT. My friends baby is 1 year and has a really flat head, and at this point, it is not going to go away. I would check with your doctor, and see how severe it really is. My son never slept on his back, he just hated it, so he just slept on his belly ( gasp, I know, but we all did) or his side. You might want to try laying him on his side, and alternate every time with a different side. The trick to this is catching it early, I was told this my the physical therapist. Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I think this whole back lying SIDS thing is rediculous. When I first had DS, a health nurse came to the home just to see if I had concerns, blah, blah, blah. She showed me how to lay DS to prevent flat head. Switch positions. Put him at one end of the crib, then the other when he wakes up. What is this going to do if the child prefers to lay his head a certain way? DS preferred laying flat with the back of this head right on the mattress. He does have a bit of a flat spot on the back of his head, but its not too noticable and hopefully it will go away.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User

thanks ladies it is not grossly deformed it is just he used to have a little round head at the back now it is flat on the back but towards the right side. he has been really upset this weekend and i was jst trying to eliminate reasons for his crying i am pleased it is not his head causing him pain and pleased it will return to normal. dizzy girl i heard there is a flat head syndrome but i think that is a problem present at birth different to babies whose head gets flat from sleeping on their back.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I was told DS was "starting" to get a flat spot. Our Pediatriction told us to make sure we more him around and not to let him sleep and lay on his back totally. We started to let hiim sit in an excersauscer and also we let him sleep on his side with a sleep positioner. We flip him around after feedings.

Also, we switch him around on the changing table rotating end to end and the same with the crib.

Too much, maybe but better safe then sorry for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Robert Michael Born on 3/20/06
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

Hey Weepy...another area I have some definate experience with. Ds#1 had a major flat spot on the back of his head. This, combined with holding his hands in tight clenched fists with rigid arms and strong leg muscles but weak upper body were triggering factors in our paeditrician diagnosing him with a motor delay and us doing physio therapy with him for 6-8 months. He is now 3 and still has a slight flat spot on his head. It's covered with hair so no big deal.
    The biggest suggestion my paed. had was to get them off their backs as much as you can except when they sleep. She even suggested that the infant car seats that go into your stroller are a bad idea because it is just more time they spend on their backs and that they aren't stretched out enough in them. She suggested tummy time as much as possible and the physio therapist said the same thing others have said here regarding the switching sleeping positions thing so they aren't always turning their heads the same way. Even if they 'always' sleep flat on their backs they will still turn their heads towards you as you approach their crib and therefore builld stronger muscles on that side of their neck.
    Hope this is helpful!

Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User

thanks jordyn
    i brought a baby walker no he can't walk in it yet lol but he prefers to be upright such as in his baby bouncer on the door frame and being held looking over my shoulder he is a nosey boy. he loves it he even plays better with his little toys than when lay down. i just brought it from mothercare cost me 40 bargain. i also got him a cute little hand puppet it is baby einstein i don't know if they do them in the u.s. well it has nothing to do other than be a cute entertaining toy. but the walker will give him more time off his head.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My friends little guy had that condition...I can't remember what it's called either, but it's caused from letting them lay on their backs with their head in the same postion for too long. She JUST caught it in time that he didn't need to wear the helmet but she had to really work to make sure he changed his sleeping positions to help round out his head a bit more, he will never get a perfectly round head but now that he has hair you really can't tell he ever had a flat head.
    Make sure you alternate the babies head...I always alternated by facing left one night, facing right the other night and facing up the 3rd night...but wherever the flat spot is you want to avoid that position until the head rounds out a bit. Also try other things during the day like a bouncy chair (again alternate wheich way his head faces) and tummy time, and when he gets a bit older the jolly jumper and exersaucer will help. Other than that dicsuss it at your next pediatrician appointment, the sooner you start correcting the problem the faster it will be resolved...the older they get the harder their bones are and the longer it takes...which is why they have to use helmets to reshape their heads.
    Goodluck.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
    Make sure you alternate the babies head...I always alternated by facing left one night, facing right the other night and facing up the 3rd night
    This is okay if your baby is a sound sleeper. DS is constantly moving around at night, but even if I face his head one way, he ends up with it flat on the back again.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roxyfoxy
    This is okay if your baby is a sound sleeper. DS is constantly moving around at night, but even if I face his head one way, he ends up with it flat on the back again.
    This is why we use a sleep positioner. This way whatever way we put DS is he way he stays. I am sure eventually we will stop this but for now it is working well .

Old 06-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

That's the thing that keeps them on their back, right? How does that keep the head from turning?

Old 06-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #14
    skeetersquirt
    Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I actually bought an adjustable one that has velcro that you can move. It keeps them in what ever position you put them in. When I out DS on his side, this keeps him from being able to roll over onto his back or tummy. OR it can keep them on thier backs. It works great for the flat head thing because this way I KNOW which side he is sleeping on and that he's not turning onto his back.

I got this one at Babies R Us and it was like $9.00. It is the adjustable one.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #15
    roxyfoxy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread