It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• How long will you breastfeed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User
    How long will you breastfeed?

Hi! I was just curious as to how long those who are breastfeeding will continue with breastfeeding. DS is only 4 months right now. I wanted to breastfeed for a year, but now I'm not sure how when I will begin weaning him. So now I am wondering how long others will breastfeed for or how long you may have breastfed previously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User
    Re: How long will you breastfeed?

My thoughts are a combination of child led weaning and no nursing past 3. I think 3 would be my cut off.

I also think about how I would wean her, and there is NO easy way. Not right now. And now in the foreseeable future. She just depends on it way too much, especially for comfort. I suspect night time nursing will last the longest, and that's fine by me.

I definitely wouldn't wean before she is well established with solids and whole milk. After that, I think I will adopt a "don't offer, don't refuse" policy. In other words, let her be judge of how to wean. If she's still going strong in her 2nd year, then I'll probably re-evaluate the situation then. It's hard to say now. I miss it just talking about weaning. LOL.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
    soon2bmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I planned on breastfeeding until like North said "don't offer, don't refuse" but things didn't go the way I planned... My MIL on the other hand BFed my husband until around 3. She told me a story where she got home from work and FIL had given DH messy brownie, and when she got home, he had brownie ALL over his face and said "mommy can I have some milk?".. She went to the fridge and he looked at her and said "mommmmyy, not THAT milk!" HA Makes me smile everytime I think of the way she told that. Now in excess, my aunt BFed one of her sons for FAR too long. I think he was in kindergarten when she stopped. It was a tad disturbing to see a "bigger" little kid run to his mom and want that.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
    sweetea13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetea13 HB User

My plan is to do it for a year. Ds is 7 months and it has worked out great for us.
    Funny story that happened last weekend. I went to CA to introduce DS to some of his other relatives and my cousin's wife just stopped bf her son who turned 3 a couple months ago. When she picked up my ds her son saw that she had a baby and started screaming chasing her down the hall yelling "MY Chee chee, My chee chee". It was hilarious but if I were her I would have been so embarrased. She did wean him at 3 but that is to old in my opinion. Just thought I would share that story, it was soo funny!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
    sdjansen
    (female)

sdjansen HB User

I weaned my DS the day after his first birthday. I said I would go a year and I did but I was definatly finished. I think he was too because I told him what i was doing and he didnt even fuss for it. I was expecting this huge problem and sleepless nights, boy was I wrong. He even sleeps better now that he is weaned, Im talking almost through the night! I actually offered him my breast about a week after weaning him because he was real fussy for some reason, I think a molar just poped through, anyways he wouldnt even take it and he looked up at me like I was crazy for even offering, thats when i knew he was ready. I think it boils down to when you and your child are ready.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
    baby#2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baby#2 HB User

I didn't think I would make it to 1 month!!! Once I got over that really difficult hump though I changed my tune pretty quickly. I am now thinking a year as well but am getting negative feedback on that from some family members. I'm not listening to them though!!! My Mom thinks that's too long and she keeps saying "Kudos to you for being able to breastfeed at all!". She is slightly discusted by the whole idea. Obviously I wasn't breastfed!
    My ds is 3 and 1/2 months and we are loving it. It's so easy and FREE! I will do it for as long as I feel comfortable I guess. Who knows when how long that will be!?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baby#2
    My Mom thinks that's too long and she keeps saying "Kudos to you for being able to breastfeed at all!". She is slightly discusted by the whole idea.
    That sounds like my mom. Well, she's not really disgusted, but.. how shall I say? Not "informed".

I told her about Ava stealing a chunk of watermellon and she said "no, no, no.. pablum first". Of course I had to give her my whole speach on delaying solids until she has teeth and can self feed. The line went dead. "You're going BF until she has teeth???" LOL! It was so funny.

Last edited by debating; 08-10-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

North - How old is Ava?

Old 08-10-2006, 06:08 AM   #9
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Almost 5 months.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I didn't realize our children are so close in age. When is Ava's bday? My son was born April 3.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #11
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

March 21st.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #12
    Gayle0000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gayle0000 HB User

My plan was to go a year.

DD was actually starting to show signs of self-weaning around 8 months. If she doesn't want the breast as often, I'm not going to force it on her. She was feeding herself table foods by that time anyway.

At the 9 month Ped visit, my Ped gave to okay to slowly wean and introduce whole milk if I wanted to....otherwise I could wait until 12 mo. I started whole milk cautiously at 9 months.

My plan was to take months 9-12 to slowly wea & transition her to whole milk...but after I started seeing how she basically changed into a little toddler out of an infant baby around that 9 month old timeframe...the weaning pretty much took care of itself over the course of a few weeks.

Now, at 11 months old, I still give DD a couple bottles of milk a day to supplement her table food...mostly because she's walking and really burning down her baby fat very fast...but she really doesn't have an interest in boobs or bottles anymore. She wants her cup or her straw.

DD is actually growing up and being independent on her own in everything (eating, walking, playing by herself, socializing) much faster than I would like her to...but it's my job to let her grow up and not hold her back on my own account.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
    lovemybabyboys
    Veteran
    (female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i breast feed my first baby until he was 16 months. we called it num num. and i thought it was time to wean when we would walk through wal-mart and he would squeeze my breast and say mommy, num num, num num. he had been drinking from a sippy since 6 months, so it wasn't hard for him. we just did it slowly over several weeks. it was easy on me too, i didn't become engorged or anything.
    my second baby, at 3 months, i stopped producing enough milk, i tried everything to get it up, but nothing helped, so i was forced to swith him to a bottle. even though i wasn't producing enough milk, i still got engorged, it was the most miserable thing. even worse than my labors and births.
    but one on breast and one on bottle, i now have 2 healthy boys, 4 and 1.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #14
    Spanish
    Veteran
    (female)

Spanish HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by North_of_60

Of course I had to give her my whole speach on delaying solids until she has teeth and can self feed. The line went dead. "You're going BF until she has teeth???" LOL! It was so funny.
    LOL! One of the babies I know has just cut her first tooth at 12 1/2 months!!! My DD who is just one only has two teeth but she does brilliantly at eating. I don't mash anything, just cut it up a bit. Some people I know seemed shocked that I kept breastfeeding after she had teeth. But she's never bitten me.

As to the breast feeding, I've gradually reduced the number of breastfeeds I give over a few months. We've been doing two a day for the last six weeks or so and tonight was the first night I cut out the night feed. She wasn't bothered in the slightest. Her daddy gave her a cup of soya milk (she's allergic to dairy) and she happily went to bed. I said I'd feed her until she was a year and she's just over that now. I expect she'll be totally off the breast by 13 months. I'm pleased but sad at the same time. I think I'd probably keep breastfeeding but it's been suggested to me that because I have a dairy intolerance I'm passing on my antibodies to her which could be making her reaction to dairy much more extreme that it would normally be. So I'm hoping that once she's totally weaned she can develop her own antibodies and perhaps not react so strongly.

Spanish

Last edited by Spanish; 08-11-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Spanish - You might want to look into that information you were given. I have never heard of that...yet. I know that if a baby has a dairy allergy that you may need to restrict dairy from your diet. But I have not heard that you may be passing down antibodies to her that might be making her more allergic to dairy. It might be the case, I have just not ever heard anything like that as of yet. If you are interested in continuing BFing and that info is stopping you then I would research it a bit just to be sure.

Closed Thread