It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Want my Baby to Be healthy. Can you help??? Infant almost choked today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
    Honeychild
    (female)

Honeychild HB User
    Want my Baby to Be healthy. Can you help??? Infant almost choked today

I was just reading some of your'lls post on Gerber puffs and I am very keen

to make sure my baby has healthy snacks/finger foods. He is now 15 months, but still can't eat big chunks of food. for instance, I put some medium grain brown rice in his food, and no kidding, it came out in his bowel movement the same way it went in, so he hadn't chewed it.

I believe feeding my baby healthy whole foods is a major part of why he is sooooo healthy.

Touch wood. He never gets colds, flus, allergies, or any of that, cos I watch his diet, VERY little to no sugar in his diet (other than fruit, and the very occasional small piece of cake for special occasions)

anyway, I have come to a nutritional roadblock, I guess you could say.

I want him to ahve baby snacks, but definitely want healthy snacks. Other than fruit, I have been giving him some heinz baby rusks *(not what I consider healthy, but it's a godsend at certain times. like in a restaurant when he is crying etc etc, you get my drift hey mums.

Today, I gave him a vita wheat cracker, and he choked. I was so darn scared. I held him over my lap and thumped him on the back between the ribs, but nothing came up. I was so scared!!! It never came out, so it eventually went down.

Can u parents give me some ideas about healthy snacks/finger foods for my baby????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
    baby#2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baby#2 HB User
    Re: Want my Baby to Be healthy. Can you help??? Infant almost choked today

Baby Mum Mums. They are a very light rice cravker that dissolves in thier Mouth. Another good one is Cheerios or Nutrios.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I know what it's like to have your little one choke in front of you...it's like time stands still and your heart just stops...but you don't realize it until you feel the thumping of your racing heart after you realize they are OK.

I know both my kids had gagging issues when I first introduced the more textured foods...like from baby cereal to stage 1 baby food...but the more they get to experiment with different textures and tastes the better they are at accepting them. I remember DD took FOREVER to learn to 'bite' off a piece of whatever she was eating, because she was so used to me cutting her food into the teeniest pieces she really didn't know how to bite food off, so she would suck on it instead. And to this day I find she is still very picky about textured foods. (she's 4 now) So with DS I started giving him bigger pieces of foods earlier to help teach him how to eat them, and I would give him a whole piece of toast so he had to learn to takes bites out of it, of course I am always there to help but he is way better at eating than DD was at his age.

He is turning 1 on Saturday and I give him Cheerios, Breton crackers, Graham Crackers (for a treat), goldfish mini crackers, yogurt (his favorite) lightly toasted toast with jam or cheese whiz, slices of real cheddar (off the block, not packaged slices), soft cooked pasta, rice, raisins (I cut them in half just to be safe) slices of banana or almost any fruit(grapes I cut in half as well)...and pretty much anything we eat, he does too, I just make sure the tougher items like meats are cut smaller so he can chew and swallow them. Otherwise there's not much he doesn't eat...I limit the sugar, and fatty foods, but if it's good for him I give him as much as he wants. Hope that helps...

P.S I bought the dehydrated apples and corn and sweet potato puffs and Kaden will eat them, but he doesn't like them as much as all the real food. So I keep them in the diaper bag for when we are on the go and he needs something to snack on between places.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 08-17-2006 at 12:15 AM.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just an FYI from a medically retired medic,PLEASE go and take a infant/child CPR course.these types of situations can happen sooo fast and if not corrected almost immediately in a child or infant can have some very heartbreaking and disasterous results.

most communitys have there own course offered by various community groups that would take you one saturday afternoon or about a four hour night time course that will empower you with all of the info you need to possibly save the life of your child or even someone elses.

when my youngest who is now 19,was about a year old,he actually managed somehow to snap a piece off one of those all in one piece fischer price interlocking big beads they have?tho it is molded all as one piece,the little tab that connects the beads together had a manufacturing defect(which believe me,they heard about,big time)anyways before I knew what was up,he had already had it in his mouth(i was only about two feet away from him cooking dinner and he was right there on the floor right by me)and i started to hear really freaky sounds comng out of his mouth.thats when I picked him up and his lips had already started turning blue and he was not moving any air.being that this was about three years bfore I had decided to become a medic and join our local FD,i knew squat about choking and cpr or anything else.

i just did what instinct told me to do,just like you,i flipped him over and started whcking him on the back.thankfully that nasty piece of "toy" came out.god what a freaking relief.i still took him into the ER just to make sure his little throat hadn't suffered any swelling whcih could have presented a whole new problem later on.he was checked out and was fine.but man.what a scare of a lifetime it was.THIS is what prompted me to take the CPR course for kids.thakfully nothing ever happenend after that but I did help my girlfrind with her son when he began to choke while we were on the phine yacking one day.he too was fine.

but every parent should know exactly what to do in the event of a choking or respiratory arrest type situation.god,things just happen sooo flippin fast and you need to be able to act asap as time IS brain cell destruction.

i am very glad your child is okay but please please,all of you,for the sake of your children and their little friends who may be over at your home from time to time,take those (usually)four hours to learn just what to do in the event of a choking.respiratory arrest type of situation,trust me,if you should ever have to be in this situation,you will thank the good lord that you took that time to know what to do.and if you actually have ANY size swimming pool,i mean any size at all or anything that even holds more than like six inches of water,this need doubles,as the drowning risk increases much much more.it doesn't take much water depth at all.

sorry to sound so gloomy but this truely IS the best thing you could ever do for your childrens safety.trust me on that one.now go hug those babies.marcia

Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
    Honeychild
    (female)

Honeychild HB User

Hi kierra and Feelbad

I would just die if anything happened to my little boy. it truly is as if time stands still and you just pray that they start breathing again okay instead of gasping for air.
    Thanks for the heads up feelbad. I made sure to take a CPR course a few months ago for this very reason.

That's why I was surprised when that chunk of biscuit did not come up out of his throat when I was thumping on his back. It just did not come up, he obviously must have swallowed it. It really was my own fault. I should have realised that biscuit was too hard for him to thoroughly chew. He only has about 6 teeth total, top and bottom of his mouth. I don't know how I could have been so darn careless!

I am scared to death of this happening. That was part of the reason I did the CPR course, and made sure to pay special attention to the choking part. What can you do though if the piece of food or whatever that is lodged does not pop out??? I remember at the CPR course telling us to start CPR if it does not dislodge.

When is it safe to give them biscuits and crackers and such for snacks????
    thanks both of you so much for responding.

and thank you feelbad for all that great information.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Thats wonderful!! i am sure this helped to at least feel somewhat in control when this scarey thing happened.i really do wish more parents would do this.

at fifteen months,if things don't dislodge on their own try the hiemlich manuver.(for CPR/choking,the standard is infant:under one year(backblows fingertip compressions/chest thrusts)-child:1-8 years-adult:8 and beyond(hiemlich/chest thrusts)as you know,if the child went unconcious,then you do the heimlich on the floor.In some cases,just the 'unclenching/spasm" that is holding the object in place,when the child does goes unconcious,it will release when the throat relaxes.it should pop out.i would also be on the phone by that time calling 911.in some cases,even these methods wont work depending on whats actually in the throat.if its toy,like a small rubber ball or something or an odd sharp type pice of toy the medics will have to go in with a forceps to try and retrieve it.in some cases,a child will actually have to have some items surgically removed.tho this is usually a pretty rare occurance,but it does happen unfortunetly.if the entire arway happens to stay blocked there are procedures the medics can do to "create" an alternate airway in the throat so at least the child can get air while enroute.

Luckily,in most cases,doing just the standard choking protocals reccomended by red cross/american heart standards does the trick.hopefully you will never ever have to use this knowledge again,huh/but being prepared is the key.i am glad things worked out wonderfully for you.give youself a huge pat on the back as well for taking the time to go and take the course.I wish I had done that when both my kids were born and not waited til AFTER an event to go and take care of what I should have done even before my first was even born.hope things stay 'uneventful' as possible for you now,lol.Marcia

Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
    Honeychild
    (female)

Honeychild HB User

Thanks very much feelbad

whats the unclenching/spasm that you mentioned? not sure I am familiar wit that.

I ahve say I was really disappointed that when I laid my son across my lap with his head lower than his body, and did the backthumps, that it did NOT dislodge the object. I would have thought for sure it should have.

Thanks again

Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Feelbad,
    I forgot to even mention that, but yes the First Aid In Child Care is the best investment any parent can make...I think it should be part of lamaze so all new parents learn it. I took mine about 8 years ago and am going to redo it again next month...I haven't kept up with the re-certification on time, but now that I have started a Dayhome, I definately will.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

all i ment by the (i should have said clenching instead of unclenching)comment was that when we start to choke the body and the throat will tend to get kind of "tighter"? and will tend to kind of "hold onto' whatever is in there,do you know what I mean?but when you lose conciousness,that action tends to just relax and will sometimes just totally release the object on its own.

as far as that biscuit not dislodging on its own,if it is kind of melty like?it could have been just a soft glob of junk that was sticking more to the very very small airway sides in the throat.i do believe you mentioned before that it kind of just cleared up on its own?kids airways are so incredibly small that it just doesn't take much at all to completely obstruct it.peanuts used to be the number one food that kids choked on the most.that and hot dogs.now just look at how small a peanut actually is.so the smaller the child,the naturally smaller airway they will have.its scarey bein a mom.glad things worked out.

when you take that recert,you are going to be really suprised at the overall changes that have been put into place now and over the years.it seems they like to redo this stuff every two years just to keep ya on your toes,but they are really just trying to simplify things as much as possible for the lay person.things were just wayyy too complicated,espescially when i took my very first EMT class back in the late 80s.they have made some great changes tho.marcia

Closed Thread