It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Double birthweight before solids?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User
    Double birthweight before solids?

How important is it for a baby to have doubled their birthweight before starting solids? What if even at 6mos or so the baby hasn't doubled their birthweight? I dn't think my DS will be doubling his birthweight until he is 8mos old. He is always gaining and always gaining steadily...he just is a petite guy and basically just gains the minimum average of a half ounce per day.

Last edited by laurabelle1317; 08-18-2006 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
    Kiera1595
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiera1595 HB User
    Re: Double birthweight before solids?

Well, most docs give the go ahead to start solids (rice cereal) at 4 months. And the rule of thumb is that most babies should double their birthweight by 6 mnoths, so if you go by that, a lot of kids probably haven't doubled by the time they start.

Both of my kids didn't double their birth weight until 8 or 9 months. But they were both over 11lbs at birth, so that was a lot of weight for them to gain.

I wouldn't worry about it too much

Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
    JenW67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JenW67 HB User

I agree with Kiera.

If your baby has lost the toungue thrust and seems interested in solids, you could go ahead and start. He will let you know if he isn't ready by spitting stuff out.

I have a skinny baby too. He only eats when he wants and at no other time. I used to fight this and try to feed him on a schedule. Both of us got frustrated. Now, I take my cues from him and it is better.

-Jen

Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

How do I know if he has lost the toungue thrust reflex? He's only 4 1/2 months right now. Dr gave the okay to start slids at 5mos if I want but said I cna wait too. I am definitely waiting until...at least 6mos. I'm in no rush. I will probably make sure he has gone through his 6month growth spurt first so my milk supply can keep up and the solids don't interfer with that.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
    Kiera1595
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiera1595 HB User

You'l know when you try and put food in there and he thrusts his tongue and the food right back out over and over...lol DD did that for a few weeks starting at 4 months. I just tried every few days until she got used to it.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
    baby#2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baby#2 HB User

If you put a spoon or other small object in his mouth and he automatically thrusts the object out with his tongue then he still has the reflex.
    My ds was 10lbs at birth and is now a week shy of 4 months old. He weighs 19lbs already!!!! I'm having the opposite problem as you.
    I'm wondering if it's normal for a baby to gain so much on breastmilk so early?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laurabelle1317
    I am definitely waiting until...at least 6mos. I'm in no rush. I will probably make sure he has gone through his 6month growth spurt first so my milk supply can keep up and the solids don't interfer with that.
    We're doing the same thing. Starting too early is just not good for the milkies. I'm also skipping the whole puree thing. It just seems like way to much work to make food, store it, serve it, etc. We've decided to go the self feeding route, and I'm more then prepared to BF almost exclusively for the first year. Solids during this time are for practice anyway, not nutrition, so if she gets everything she needs from me it seems silly to make more work for myself by making baby mush. Plus, I just don't think that me controlling what she eats will promote healthy eating habits.

I have a ton of reasons for waiting, but basically, it boils down to the fact that baby's simply aren't ready to eat solid foods at 4 months old. I don't care what it is, or who's pediatrician said it was Ok. There is MORE then enough information to counter that. Cereal at 4 months is out dated information. Period.

You'll be able to find a lot of info in the Mothering Magazine (MDC). I've found a TON of stuff in there.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I'm also thinking about not doing the puree. Maybe a little - but I do think that i they self feed then they will be able to eat when hungry and stop eating when no longer hungry better. I agree - its practice. I'll be mainly BFing for a year. And I just recently decided to continue BFing past a year. Great benefits! Especially immunological benefits, which is why DH is on board for EBF.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    I'm also thinking about not doing the puree. Maybe a little - but I do think that i they self feed then they will be able to eat when hungry and stop eating when no longer hungry better. I agree - its practice. I'll be mainly BFing for a year. And I just recently decided to continue BFing past a year. Great benefits! Especially immunological benefits, which is why DH is on board for EBF.
    Yeay!!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User

sam is 5.5 months and can hold baby biscuits and suck them himself now he eats fods that are thick not thin purees and baby yoghurts. he was 6 pound 15 born and doubled his birth weight at 3 months which i thought was suppossed to be the case he is on the 60th centile so around average weight for his age which is 17 pounds 11 and half ounces. sam also has no tongue reflux and today dropped another bottle from his feeding regime all on following his own cues he sleeps 11 hours at night too. he is a good little boy

Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Talk to your doctor, of course, but I personally think age is more important than his/her weight. My dd is now almost double her birth weight at 4 months. I started her solids a week early because she showed all the signs (able to sit supported, can hold head up, drinking more than 32 oz a day) and she needs
    the fiber for her constipation. I also personally feel you can train your baby to swallow instead of using the tongue thrust. My baby swallows fine, now.
    Just my experience..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:58 AM   #12
    weepyone
    Inactive
    (female)

weepyone HB User

besides which by 6 months a babys iron reserves are depleting and therefore will need this and certain vitamin supplements if they are purely breast fed still at 6 months. formula apparantly contains some of these vitamins but ds is on green veg and in a few weeks he is 6 months and i shall try with some iron rich red meat too.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:33 AM   #13
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weepyone
    besides which by 6 months a babys iron reserves are depleting and therefore will need this and certain vitamin supplements if they are purely breast fed still at 6 months.
    That's another common piece of outdated information. Anemia is not an issue at 6 months.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
    laurabelle1317
    Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

At 6mos feeding solids is just for practice, not so much nutrition. Milk is still the primary source of nutrition.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Milk is still the primary source of nutrition.
    Yup, and giving an infant who is breastfed an iron fortified food can actually prohibit them from absorbing the iron they do get from breastmilk, since ALL cereals are fortified with non-heme iron.

Closed Thread