It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• rice cereal & oatmeal????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User
    rice cereal & oatmeal????

I am a first time mom and am a little confused about feeding. My baby is almost 4 months old and is having rice cereal in her bottle. I know some people don't agree with this but she was always hungry and is doing alot better.But my question is...when do you start oatmeal and do I have to give it before I start jar food? What's the difference between giving rice cereal and oatmeal? Also I am giving my dd rice cereal before bed but can I also give it to her during the day to fill her up more? I tried giving her 6 oz of milk instead of 4 but she won't take it all at one time and then is hungry a hour later.Whats the usual routine for feeding??Thanks alot!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
    Sara20
    Veteran
    (female)

Sara20 HB User
    Re: rice cereal & oatmeal????

My DS is almost 5 months but the day he turned 4 months, he had an appt. with the developmental clinic and i was talking to a nurse there about his feedings and she had me start that day putting oatmeal OR rice in his formula..im not too sure what the difference is but i know oatmeal helps with constipation. DS used to have a problem with that so i put oatmeal in his bottle and they told me to put it in all of his bottles so he eats it all the time..he seems A LOT better though..my friend has also been putting oatmeal in her DS bottle..every bottle.. since he was like 2 mons old!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
    Infinitum
    Veteran
    (female)

Infinitum HB User

DS is 5 months old and has had multi-grain cereal in his bottle since he was 3 1/2 months old. I never started with just rice cereal, but just went straight to multi-grain---has oatmeal, barley, long grain rice (NOT white rice) etc.... He never had any issues with it and it has worked like a charm since. I only give it to him for his first morning feeding when he wakes up and for his bedtime feeding. I try to not give it to him ALL day long. He's also on jar fruits and veggies. Though he prefers fruits more so at the moment. The multi-grain cereal I get is by Earth's Best and runs about $2.50-$2.79 a box and it lasts him about a month.

I'm a first time mom too!

Last edited by Infinitum; 12-12-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
    sobannon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sobannon HB User

I started giving my DS cereal younger than usual because he was low birth weight and they were trying to get his lungs to grow faster (they were significantly damaged due to a high frequency ventilator). I never put it in the bottle, I always spoon fed, because 1) he liked it better and 2) it kept him full longer.

I started with rice, then mixed cereal, then full oatmeal. Once he was okay with those, we introduced veggies and fruits and now, at 10 months old, we are experimenting with all types of things.

I don't know about the oatmeal helping constipation, my son has always been constipated and he eats oatmeal daily. I do, on occasion give him some prune juice to help things along.

I wish you luck.

Amy

Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

DD is 9 months old and we just introduced rolled oats for breakfast this week. This is the first grain she has ever had. Next we will introduce barley or quinoa. Wheat will be last. Cereals should be among the last things you introduce in the first year. Introducing them early, (at like 3.5 months) has been linked to diabetes, obesity, and allergies. Plus, infant cereals are over processed and are nothing more then a filler. They really offer no nutritional value, and are "frotified" with non-heme iron, which inhibits the absorption of iron from breastmilk.

We've waited until DD can have regular old rolled oats. I grind them up in the coffee grinder with some flax seed, and add some chopped apples and cinnamon. Yummy. (What she doesn't eat, I do!).

Quote:
    I tried giving her 6 oz of milk instead of 4 but she won't take it all at one time and then is hungry a hour later.
    That's normal. At 4 months old DD ate every 45 mintutes to an hour, sometimes an hour and a half.

Quote:
    Whats the usual routine for feeding??
    What ever worked for my daughter. If she was hungry, I fed her. I didn't try to stretch her feedings out by filling her up, it's unhealthy.

Last edited by debating; 12-12-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
    shannonkristin
    (female)

shannonkristin HB User

i started ds on rice cereal at about 3 months, silly me just discovered the oatmeal when it was bought for me as a gift. i didn't even know he could have it. I tried it out with him and i think he likes it more then the rice and it has a little bit of a sweeter taste. I do believe that it is better for him too... the rice just seems really pasty.

Closed Thread