It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• What to feed 6 month old?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
    Cookiem26
    (female)

Cookiem26 HB User
    What to feed 6 month old?

My DD just turned 6 months today and we had her 6 month appt. yesterday. I had a million questions and got all of them answered but you know when you leave you think of 20 more. Well, the doctor said we were fine feeding her solids twice a day right now followed by formula and when I later read the handout they give us it says at her age we should begin to increase to feeding solids 3 times a day and about 2 snacks. Right now we feed her cereal and bananas in the morning and then formula and around dinner time she gets carrots and green beans. (she takes 4 bottles total per day) We are still trying each new food once a week to rule out allergies so that is all the has had thus far. I can handle adding a 3rd regular feeding at lunchtime but what do I feed her for a snack? Can she have cheerios or anything at her age? Can she have yogurt? She just broke her first tooth. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I can try? Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
    karenb75
    (female)

karenb75 HB User
    Re: What to feed 6 month old?

I would try some unflavored yogurt, maybe mix a bit of banana baby food with it. I think it is too early for finger foods such as Cheerios but I have a terrible fear of my baby choking. My 11 year old wasn't allowed to have finger foods until she was probably 18 months old b/c of my fear. LOL
    My six month old only gets baby food two to three times a day right now. We have gone through all the yellow foods and are just starting on green foods. I have given her some yogurt mixed w/banana baby food and she liked it. Other than that, I can't think of any other snacks.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
    debating
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

debating HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karenb75
    I would try some unflavored yogurt, maybe mix a bit of banana baby food with it. I think it is too early for finger foods such as Cheerios but I have a terrible fear of my baby choking. My 11 year old wasn't allowed to have finger foods until she was probably 18 months old b/c of my fear. LOL
    Actually, by allowing your child to start out self feeding you will alleviate the risk of choking a lot sooner. Slurping liquid food off a spoon poses its own choking risks.

DD is 9 months old and has always self fed. When they can self feed they're old enough to eat solid foods. If they can't pick it up and put it in their mouth, they're not ready.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We'd give DS whole milk yogurt twice a day. He'd get the orange food group -- squash, sweet potato/corn & carrot veggies, green beans. Pears, bananas. He liked the oatmeal with pears. Hated peas, rice cereal & applesauce.... We also gave him baby food meat once a day for supper. He liked the turkey and chicken. Beef was too thick.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

I would also suggest feeding formula first as everything I've read since having my first 3.5 years ago says that until they are 8-9 months formula or breastmilk is the most important part of their diet and should be given first.
    Ds#2 is about the same age as your babe and has 3 meals day...no snacks. Cereal and fruit for breakfast (after being nursed), 2 veggies for lunch, cereal and veggies for supper.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
    Cookiem26
    (female)

Cookiem26 HB User

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to look into yogurt and when she is a little older some friends told me about some special crackers/toast things they can have. I also plan to increase her to 3 solid meals a day, she is actually starting to take more solid foods the last couple of days. Thanks again!!

Old 12-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
    Zuzu's Petals
    (female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

What I do, as my dd is almost 7 months old, when my doctor told me at my dd's 6 month check-up for a snack she said the "Graduates Finger Foods" (cherry, peach, and I think banana puffs) are a good first snack. They are puffs that dissolve in your mouth. I was a little nervous about it at first and tried it myself to see how long it takes for the puffs to dissolve and I felt it was quick. They are the size of cheerios, but when first giving the puffs to her, I cut them into 3 very small parts so they would be small enough for her. She liked them instantly, and after only a couple days I stopped cutting them into pieces and gave them to her whole. She tends to put everything into her mouth and this was no different, and I'll put one in front of her, and she grabs it and goes straight to her mouth to eat. I never leave her alone though when giving her her snack. I probably won't do that for a long time.

This is just my own experience, everyone is different. But, those puffs are wonderful.

Zuzu

Old 12-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
    karenb75
    (female)

karenb75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by North_of_60
    Actually, by allowing your child to start out self feeding you will alleviate the risk of choking a lot sooner. Slurping liquid food off a spoon poses its own choking risks.

DD is 9 months old and has always self fed. When they can self feed they're old enough to eat solid foods. If they can't pick it up and put it in their mouth, they're not ready.
    My fear of choking is just that, a fear. I won't get on an airplane either.

Closed Thread