It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Do we have to always burp the baby?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
    babyin2006
    (female)

babyin2006 HB User
    Do we have to always burp the baby?

I always try to burp DS. But sometimes he doesn't burp for a long time (an hour or longer). He usually him t takes longer to burp when he is sleepy. I find to spend an hour at 2:00 and 4:00 in the morning. Is there a faster way to burp?

Sometimes I put him to sleep without burping at night (when I am tired and sleepy). Is this dangerous, my son is 8.5 weeks old.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User
    Re: Do we have to always burp the baby?

I have the same problem with my DS and posted the same question when he was your son's age.

When DS is tired, he often won't burp, and it doesn't seem to bother him if I put him back down to sleep. I used to be like you where I would spend an hour trying to burp in the night him and it never would come.

If it doesn't bother him, then don't worry about it. If he wakes up after a half hour crying, then simply pick him up and burp him. I often can tell when DS needs to burp by the noises he makes.

I also find that even if DS isn't tired and won't burp, if I just lay him down for some time and pick him back up again, it helps him to burp.

Don't beat yourself up over him burping. If it doesn't come and he isn't crying, then he is fine.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
    Sherbet
    Veteran
    (female)

Sherbet HB User

My dd would bring her knees up to her chest and cry if I put her down on her back and she still had wind to get rid of. Winding for an hour seems quite excessive, especially at that hour of the morning! Try putting ds down on his back and see if he brings his knees up. Also another little tell-tail sign of wind is a slight blue shadow between their top lip and nose.

I found the best ways to get dd's wind out was either: have her facing with her head on my shoulder, pull her legs down so her body is straight and pat her back while jigging slightly up and down. Also, have her sit on my knee with right hand across her chest, thumb and little finger under her armpits... pat her on her back while jiggling my knee (gently).

As a preventative measure you should try burping intermitantly during your feeding i.e. in between breasts.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

Babies don't always have to burp. If after a reasonable spell of trying to get it out (say, 10 minutes) and nothing comes out, give up. There is no use in making something come out that just isn't there! Of course, my little one just loves the over-the-shoulder burping position and will stay there with me patting her back all day and night if I let her... ha!

Old 01-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

What doesn't come up as a burp will go down and out as a toot. I rarely worried about it and somehow, my dd has survived to almost 10 years old!

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Closed Thread