It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• What do you do when your baby won't sleep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
    ament
    Veteran
    (female)

ament HB User
    What do you do when your baby won't sleep?

For the past 3 weeks, my 1 month old will not sleep in her bed. At least not for more than an hour or two. My bf and I take turns staying up and holding her so she won't cry. We're both now very sleep deprived. He gets less than 6 hours of sleep a night and works full time, I usually get around 3 or 4. I keep hoping this faze (sp?) will pass, but it just seems to get worse. We've tried swaddling, music, but as soon as we slip her into her bed, she is awake.

I really don't know if I can take much more of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
    luvmy2kids
    (female)

luvmy2kids HB User
    Re: What do you do when your baby won't sleep?

Have you tried taking her into bed with you? She may just want to be close to you or your bf? When you put her down does she cry or just wake up and you immediately pick her up? If that's the case you could try just giving it a few seconds to see if she'll settle herself. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
    liloulou
    Veteran
    (female)

liloulou HB User

While I don't have a great solution for you, I can totally sympathize with you and your bf. My dh and I are having a horrible time getting our little six week year old to sleep in her crib or bassinet. She only goes about two hours before crying. When I'm really wiped out I bring her to the bed and cosleep with her. She will go about 4-5 hours that way, but it also puts my husband in our guest bedroom. Not a great solution but a way for some sleep.
    Good luck... I hope it gets better for both of us soon and our little ones sleep in their beds soon.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User

What happens when you swaddle her?

Have you tried a swing?

Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
    alb4175
    (male)

alb4175 HB User

It's quite simple. You don't sleep. I have a 1 yr old baby so I know how it feels

Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Most babies do not sleep well or for very long flat on their backs. Try one of the following:

Let her sleep on her tummy.
    Let her sleep on her side.
    Let her sleep in her carseat.
    Let her sleep in her swing.
    Swaddle her tightly.
    Co-sleep.

Nancy

Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
    welsh_becca
    (female)

welsh_becca HB User

my little girl is 9 weeks and she wont sleep in her moses basket so shes in bed with me and sleeps for 8-9 hours a night its worth a try

Old 02-24-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
    ament
    Veteran
    (female)

ament HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alb4175 View Post
    It's quite simple. You don't sleep. I have a 1 yr old baby so I know how it feels
    Not what I wanted to hear,lol.

You're not serious right?

Well, she hates her swing, and swaddling used to work well, but not anymore. I think she would do better on her tummy, but everyones made me paronoid about any sleeping position other than her back.

I've been considering one of those cosleeper things that go in your bed (w/ sides tp prevent baby being rolled over on) but I'm not sure how safe it'd be.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
    athome1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

athome1 HB User

My kids were NEVER good sleepers. One thing I did try with my son that seemed to work was to warm up the crib first. I would put a heating pad in the crib while I rocked him. Once he was asleep, I would have my husband take the pad out and put him in the crib. This way he went from my warm arms to a warm crib and didn't wake up from the shock of a cold sheet. I've seen but never used a co-sleeper, but give it a shot. I had the bassinet right next to my side of the bed for my 2nd son and when I heard him whimper, I reached in a patted him. It seemed to work a little. I was NEVER keen on sleeping in the bed with them (without something like the co-sleeper). Although I was always a light sleeper, 2 kids can exhaust you and you tend to not wake up as easily. So Try anything you can. If my son woke up at 4 am, I would put him in his carseat and set hime in front of baby einstein. He would then sleep until about 9 am.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
    CRR0908
    (female)

CRR0908 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. My 9wk old daughter was the same way for the first 5 weeks of her life. Finally I decided to put her on her tummy in her bed because we were terrified one of us would roll over on her and she slept for about 4 hours. Then about a week ago I woke up at about 8am and realized she had slept for 8 hours. That is the best feeling in the world. I promise it will get better.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #11
    jgirl234
    (female)

jgirl234 HB User

i wouldn't recommend putting your baby to sleep on his tummy until after he's 3 mos. thats one of the causes of SIDS.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
    prairie_dawn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

prairie_dawn HB User

She is only 4 weeks old she wont sleep through the night right now. and when she does cry make sure she is changed,burped and fed and put her down. She will get up every 2 hours or so at this age. Her crying or fussing is for a reason. Make sure she is swaddled well. Do you say she doesnt like her swing because she is crying? when she cries is it time for her food or do you pick her to burp her? Once burped try putting her back in the swing. She will learn. When she gets a bit older she will be fine. You just have to get through this stage honey. It's hard I know but you can do it! Promise! She only has her cries to tell you that something is wrong so listen and you will for sure figure out which cry is for what. Please do not put her on her tummy. She is not old enough to lift her head and even is she does do it she can not support it long enough to get her head lifted if she is suffocating. VERY SERIOUS WHEN IT COMES TO SIDS SO PLEASE HEAD THE WARNINGS IT IS NO JOKE. sleeping on her tummy on your stomach is one thing because you can see if she is suffocating but her to be alone and on her tummy is a big no no. She is still very young and might want to be swaddled so make sure that is done and that when she cries you change,feed and burp and put her down if you have soething to do. If you dont hten just hold her nad watch her. that is always fun. If you get upset every time she is crying becuase you dont know she is crying just try to relax and take a deep breathe and know that baby can only comunicate this way.. If you partner upset becuase of babies cries if so and he is the one upset that she doesnt sleep anywhere maybe you should tell him this is well and let him know when baby cries to change feed and burp. YOu might even have to burp her prior to her eating first just to make sure nothing gets spit up in between. She will eventually sleep and sleep well where ever you put her but if you think taht her cries are becuase she is in what she is in it's most likely not. It might just be that she is hungry. Let us know if this helps. good luck

Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

My DS only started STTN at 13 months. The first 6 months were soooooooooo hard because it seemed like everyone elses babies were STTN. Some kids just DON'T though!! Try not to be hard on yourself or think that you are doing anything wrong because you aren't. This is just how some kids are. WE ended up putting DS in a swing and that would get us some good stretches. I've also known a few women whose babies slept in their carseat with great results. Another thing you can look into is the Miracle Blanket - it was a godsend to my cousin because her baby was a little houdini and could bust out of a swaddle. Also, have you tried letting your baby sleep in a bouncy? Co-sleeping was also something that we started doing around the 4 week mark when I was litterally tripping on the bags under my eyes. I totally remember how difficult that was - getting a 1-2 hour stretch at a time. I also remember feeling like there was no point in going back to bed sometimes because I'd just have to get right back up. That was a bad move on my part. YOu absolutely have to get your sleep!! At 10 months I was diagnosed with PPD and I know for a fact that it was because of lack of sleep!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I just wanted to add that tummy sleeping does not cause SIDS. Yes, the risk is a bit higher, but the actual risk for a tummy sleeping newborn is not even 1 in 1000. For a back sleeper it is still 1 in 1500. Up until 1993 we were all advised to put our babies on their tummies from day one and I can tell you as someone who became a parent before that, SIDS was rare even then. In addition to that, our adopted daughter was born two months premature after being exposed in utero to five different illegal drugs and to a birth mother who had no prenatal care and also smoked during pregnancy. She would not sleep for more than 20 minutes on her back. When I told the ped at her two month check up that she was sleeping her tummy because she wouldn't sleep any other way our ped told us that though she recommends that all parents try back sleeping first, her actual risk, even with all those risk factors, was less for SIDS on her tummy than that of being struck by lightning! Regardless, you do need to do what makes you comfortable because if you worry all night you won't sleep anyway, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that if it works, the risk is still extremely low. Even that AAP says that in its final paragraph of its statement on sleep position.

Nancy

Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
    Arls1
    (female)

Arls1 HB User

I basically sleeps when she sleeps, that is what I did and still do sometimes. He is now 5months.

Closed Thread