It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Spots on Teeth

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User
    Spots on Teeth

My 10 month old has had his top teeth for about 2.5 months now. Today I noticed that both of them seem to have a large orangish brown spot on them. Anyone know what this could be? None of the rest seem to have it. I brushed them a few times today just in case it was staining from food etc but it didn't change at all. I don't use any tooth paste with him and we do not have clorinate/florinated water where we live either.
    Any ideas???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Spots on Teeth

When DS's teeth first appeared, I noticed brownish discoloration on the inside bottom teeth. I was terrified his teeth were rotting even though he didn't drink much juice. I DID brush his teeth with a finger brush and baby tooth gel, but it didn't do much good. Also thought it could be from being on IV antibiotics & oral antibiotics shortly after he was born or from his vitamin drops -- they're a "lovely" dark orange color and stain his clothes.

When he was two, I took him to the dentist and the hygenist said it was a LOT of staining. She did get a lot of it off. She and the dentist also told me to brush his teeth twice a day, but NOT to use baby toothpaste -- it's worthless and to use a very teeny tiny amount of regular toothpaste. If they get too much and swallow it, they could vomit.

So we use kids toothpaste with flouride. I did notice since using it instead of baby toothpaste that a good bit of the tooth staining is gone. We also take DS to the dentist every 3 months for a cleanings, which has helped quite a bit. He's almost 4.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

I was thinking I should take him now since I have coverage for it anyway. Better to find out now incase it is poor enamel or something like that.
    Did they ever tell you what could have caused the staining?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

They said the staining very well could be caused by his vitamins or some of the medications he's been on -- mainly because for babies, the main ingredient is sugar with some color. This did show up very very early on -- he got his first teeth at 8 months and I noticed it a little while afterwards. Who knows -- could've even been his formula, foods -- he LOVED the orange food group (sweet potatoes with or without corn, carrots, squash...)

I was terrified of bottle rot because I DID give him a small bottle of pear or white grape juice several times a week, but NOT several times a day and a former coworker told me she had a friend whose baby had to have teeth pulled. However, it was NOT that, just plain old ordinary staining.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
    luckygem13
    Veteran
    (female)

luckygem13 HB User

My son had this and the dentist said it was from drinking a lot of apple juice. The dentist polished the stains off and we stayed away from the apple juice and we never had another problem.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

My son has never had any juice...just water, breastmilk and formula. He doesn't eat anything with sugar in it really...or just started. I think I'll take him in...not sure what else it could be. He's never been on any meds, I didn't do much in the way of vitamins...very strange.
    Guess off to the dentist we go.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Here's a thought... What about reflux? DS had reflux and was on zantac 'cuz he spit up from time to time. Maybe DS's stains were actually caused by his spitting up formula from time to time.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 04-12-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

He doesn't drink formula...well I guess now he does sometimes since I've been back to work since he was 8 months and only nurse him 3 times a day but anyway...not sure if breastfed babies have relux issues or not. He doesn't spit up much at all, never has but occasionally has had some issues with it and actuallly has had more of them lately. Guess it could be an acid issue. My other thought was that he might have bumped them as he has been creeping around furniture for 2-3 months now and is now walking independently and has always fallen alot. Maybe he's bumped them???
    I'll have to make the call...it's so hard to fit appointments in when you are working full time but dh can likely take him.
    Thanks

Closed Thread