It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• It's hot...should 6mo drink water?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
    Jonanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Jonanner HB User
    It's hot...should 6mo drink water?

Hi. The weather just got really warm (80īs) where I am, and I was wondering how much water my 6 mo needs to drink. Right now she is drinking formula and has a little water after her solids. Should I be giving her more water during the day now that the weather is hot or does she get the water she needs from her formula? She loves water so it would be no problem to get her to drink more. TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
    tiredmum
    Inactive
    (female)

tiredmum HB User
    Re: It's hot...should 6mo drink water?

No formula is a meal not a drink. Offer the baby water as often as you feel is neccessary try not to fill her up with it but dehydration is very dangerous for a little one. Breastmilk contains a drink and a feed formula doesn't.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

I don't agree with the previous poster. Formula, which is made with WATER, should contain all of the liquid your baby needs, just as breast milk does.

However, IF you are in a situation where you baby is perspiring alot, such as when you go to the beach, or in a hot car with no air conditioning, then yes, give a little extra water to avoid dehydration.

It's regularly in the 80s where I am and there is no need for me to give baby anything extra because we are in an air conditioned house or car all day, except when we take a walk or sit outside on the patio for a while. She's never in direct sunlight and I take care not to let her get too hot. Therefore, there should be no need for any extra liquid.

From everything I've read (three or four different books/websites) if baby is wetting 6 diapers a day there is no problem with hydration.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
    tiredmum
    Inactive
    (female)

tiredmum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post
    I don't agree with the previous poster. Formula, which is made with WATER, should contain all of the liquid your baby needs, just as breast milk does.

However, IF you are in a situation where you baby is perspiring alot, such as when you go to the beach, or in a hot car with no air conditioning, then yes, give a little extra water to avoid dehydration.

It's regularly in the 80s where I am and there is no need for me to give baby anything extra because we are in an air conditioned house or car all day, except when we take a walk or sit outside on the patio for a while. She's never in direct sunlight and I take care not to let her get too hot. Therefore, there should be no need for any extra liquid.

From everything I've read (three or four different books/websites) if baby is wetting 6 diapers a day there is no problem with hydration.
    Everything in the world says if a baby is formula fed then u need to offer water as well as once the powder is added to the water it becomes too thick to act as a drink. I add milk or water to porridge but i still need a drink with it. Breastmilk has foremilk (the Drink) and hindmilk (the food). Formula is only food!!!! You are very good at not letting your baby over heat but a formula fed baby needs additional water.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
    Jonanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Jonanner HB User

Thanks for the replies. We have no air conditioning here and spend a lot of time walking with the stroller because my apartment is so hot. The only place we can find AC is department stores, and I worry that she will overheat. I will bring her a bottle of water to make sure she stays cool and hydrated.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

I would discourage you from giving her water in a bottle. Some babies become confused when you offer them different things in bottles and will start to not like the the thing they need to be drinking....in your babies case, the formula. This is a great age to start sippy cups anyway.
    As for the whole formula being a meal or fluid and a meal...my son was very sick with the flu a few years ago and while in the ER the doctor gave us some info to take home on dehydration. It stated that if your baby was over 4 months you should continue giving they their usual formula and no more than 4 ounces of water a day. If they are on solids you can increase that amount of water. It also stated that formula is a source of hydration but that you do not want to increase the amount given normally in order to prevent dehydration as you will then be giving them extras of everything that they may not need.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User

I am sorry, but XInerville is correct - babies do not need water, unless you expect they are overheated. This information can be found in the book, "what to expect the first year..." as well as, on the internet.

Here is info. I found on a popular web site...

Q. Is it necessary for a newborn (birth to 3 months old) to drink water, or is the formula enough? My daughter's doctor was telling her that she did not need to give her baby some water. I totally disagree. Everyone's body needs water daily to cleanse yourself out from newborn to senior citizens. What is your view on this? Thanks for your response. LA, CA

A. What I think your granddaughter's Pediatrician really means is that she doesn't need any 'extra' water. You are right that everyone needs water or fluid to live, but a baby gets that already from her formula, or breastmilk if she were breastfeeding. She wouldn't usually need extra water though, unless she were constipated, and for a young infant, you should usually talk to your Pediatrician before giving your baby extra plain water.

The American Academy of Pediatrics actually states that "until your baby starts eating solid foods, he'll get all the water he needs from breastmilk or formula."

Another situation where you would give an older child extra water would be when they were getting overheated, but that shouldn't be happening to a newborn or infant.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiredmum View Post
    Everything in the world says if a baby is formula fed then u need to offer water as well as once the powder is added to the water it becomes too thick to act as a drink. I add milk or water to porridge but i still need a drink with it. Breastmilk has foremilk (the Drink) and hindmilk (the food). Formula is only food!!!! You are very good at not letting your baby over heat but a formula fed baby needs additional water.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. I mix the powdered formula with the appropriate amount of water to make my daughter's bottles. For her, she drinks about 26-30 oz. per day, so she gets that much water, in addition to the powdered formula (the nutritious part) that is dissolved in it. Of the 30 oz. she drinks per day, approx. 2 of those are used to mix up her baby cereal (oatmeal, barley, etc.). I give her the cereal and some fruit in the morning, and cereal and a vegetable in the late afternoon. She gets her bottles the rest of the day. I offer the bottle after feeding her and she's not interested (I guess not hungry...)

Given that it's recommended that adults get 64 oz. of water (or non-caffeinated/alcoholic beverages) per day, and that adults, on average, weigh 100-200 lbs., I think that 30 oz. (approx. 50% the adult recommendation) is sufficient for a human that weighs only 5-10% of an adult's weight.

Again, if you're child is wetting 6+ diapers per day, all is well.

Occasional supplementation of water is fine. I give my 5 month old water in a two-handled sippy cup, just to get her used to taking a drink in a different type of cup. She's having fun with it and ends up drinking (so far) no more than a couple of tablespoons.

Dr. Sears, a renowned pediatrician and child expert, says: "At this age [4-6 months], water is not necessary, but also not harmful. In other words: yes, it’s fine to give him sips. Starting solids doesn’t mean you have to start water, although it can help treat the constipation that might result from the solids. A common mistake that parents make is to give extra water on a hot day in lieu of breastmilk. This can lead to electrolyte imbalances in a young baby."

Last edited by xinerevelle; 04-16-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Needed to clarify something

Closed Thread