It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Infant Meds Recalled?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
    kristi6190
    (female)

kristi6190 HB User
    Exclamation Infant Meds Recalled?!

okay i was on a website(i don't think i'm allowed to put where)and i saw "recalled items". thought i'd take a look and saw that tylenol infant drops had been recalled! i used those for my daughter when she got her vaccinations and occasionally for teething. i'm worried! i'm not so sure what it all means...anyone have any info or input? thanks!
    oh there were many more types also recalled.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
    kristi6190
    (female)

kristi6190 HB User
    Re: Infant Meds Recalled?!

here is info from the website...
    All over-the-counter oral cough and cold medicines for children under 2 are being withdrawn from the market, drug makers announced today.

The infant medicines are being recalled not because of a flaw in their production, but because of the serious consequences of their accidental misuse.

According to the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), a trade group representing makers of over-the-counter cough and cold medicines, there have been cases of serious harm to young children who were mistakenly given too large a dose or got into medicine that wasn't stored safely. Children under age 2 are particularly vulnerable to the effects of misuse.

The voluntary recall follows news two weeks ago about a possible FDA ban on young children's cough and cold medicine.The 14 brand-name medicines listed here are being pulled from store shelves (generic brands may soon be included):

Dimetapp Decongestant Plus Cough Infant Drops
    Dimetapp Decongestant Infant Drops
    Little Colds Decongestant Plus Cough
    Little Colds Multi-Symptom Cold Formula
    PediaCare Infant Dropper Decongestant (containing phenylephrine)
    PediaCare Infant Dropper Decongestant & Cough (containing phenylephrine)
    PediaCare Infant Dropper Long-Acting Cough
    PediaCare Infant Drops Decongestant (containing pseudoephedrine)
    PediaCare Infant Drops Decongestant & Cough (containing pseudoephedrine)
    Robitussin Infant Cough DM Drops
    Triaminic Infant & Toddler Thin Strips Decongestant
    Triaminic Infant & Toddler Thin Strips Decongestant Plus Cough
    Tylenol Concentrated Infants' Drops Plus Cold
    Tylenol Concentrated Infants' Drops Plus Cold & Cough

Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

It's not regular infant tylenol, it's just the cold medicines. They're being recalled because of the antihistamines in them. You can still get tylenol and motrin. I'd gotten a bottle since the recall.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
    athome1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

athome1 HB User

The basic reason for the recall is b/c they're saying that children under the age of 6 do not need any type of cold/cough medicine. Too many parents have overdosed their children on these types of medications b/c they are unsure of the correct dosage.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
    Heyknack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heyknack HB User

Yes, regular Tylenol Infant Drops are ok, it's the Infant Drops plus cold, etc. that have been recalled, along with other cold medications for infants.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
    Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

yeah, don't worry about it. if you've followed the dosage correctly, then your baby will be fine. it's those parents out there that are giving a 12 year old's dose to a 2 year old that have made those medicines come off the market! why the heck are there so many stupid people out there that make my life more difficult?????? now i'm going to have to do the math and figure out how much regular dimetapp i can give to my almost 2 and almost 4 year olds because some idiot gave their kid too much medicine!

oh, sorry. i just get irritated at all the stupid rules and warnings brought about by idiots who have no common sense. like how all candles have to be labeled with the "don't burn this candle in your bed" warning. who is stupid enough to put a candle in their bed and light it???? obviously somebody was! i wish they'd at least put the labels in more appropriate language, like, "HEY STUPID PEOPLE! DON'T GIVE TWO TABLESPOONS OF DIMETAPP TO YOUR INFANT! IT MIGHT KILL THEM!" or maybe, "WARNING FOR ALL IDIOTS OUT THERE.... THIS TYLENOL COLD MEDICINE ODDLY ENOUGH, CONTAINS ACETAMINOPHEN, WHICH IS WHAT TYLENOL IS. IT ALSO CONTAINS COLD MEDICINE, WHICH IS WHY IT'S CALLED TYLENOL COLD. DON'T GIVE YOUR KID A DOSE OF TYLENOL COLD, AND A DOSE OF TYLENOL, AND A DOSE OF OTHER COLD MEDICINE OR YOU MIGHT KILL YOUR KID!"

sorry, we all have colds here and i'm really tired of hearing people tell me that cold medicine won't cure our colds. well DUH! but it does (in spite of the stupid "studies" they claim they did) relieve symptoms and help my kids sleep better at night, which in turn helps us all get better faster!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User

mcr285--OMG you are so hilarious, but hit the nail on the head of stupid parents out there. LOL! I panicked when I heard about the recall as well, but then just realized that it is for dumb people!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is driven nuts by stupid people.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
    WorriednNervous
    (female)

WorriednNervous HB User

My understanding of the recall is that its hard for parents to guess the correct dosage for such a young child. Its been quite sometime since I have had to use infant cold drops but if I remember correctly the package does not even give a dosage amount for children under 2. They say contact a doctor for the dosage of any child under 2. How many parents actually do that? How many just take an educated guess? And that guess can and apparently has been wrong with dire consequences.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

I would have to agree with WorriednNervous. It isn't necessarily that parents are stupid. There are a lot of stupid people out there though. It really hasn't even been proven that the cold meds make a difference in children under 6. I'm NOT AT ALL trying to start an arguement but the cold medicine wasn't recalled because of stupidity rather ignorance from parents who are just trying to make their little ones feel better.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Yes, it was recalled because of ignorance of parents. Here's the thing though, even infant tylenol and motrin don't have dosing instructions for children under 2. They say to contact a physician. So my question is why in the world would you just play, "Guess a dose?" I don't give my son anything with out checking on the dose with is doctor first, except mylicon which does have package instructions, but is the only one I know of. All right, sorry I'm not trying to start an arguement. I was just surprised at the number of people who don't consult a doctor for dosing instructions.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

most doctors have a pamphlet that is put out by whoever makes tylenol and motrin that gives dosing instructions for infants and up. it's a chart that goes by age and weight, and has all the different types of the medicines (infant drops, children's, chewables, etc...). i think they have that chart at the pharmacy as well. ask your doctor or pharmacist to give you a chart. it's quite handy to keep around! ***medicine dosing goes more by weight than by age, so if you have a tiny little 6 month old, and his weight isn't even on the dosing chart, make sure you do ask your doctor and bring up the fact that his weight isn't on the chart! i know you can give ibuprofen (motrin) starting at 6 months, but i was thinking about you mommies with preemies (i knew a mommy with a 6 month old who was just barely the size of a two month old!).... if they're extra small, you might double check on the correct dosage....

another thing you can do is to make sure to keep a record of what dose you're giving of what medicine, what it's active ingredients are, how much active ingredient per tsp, and at what age and weight your child is. you can refer back to that record anytime you have a question of how much to give. i know how much nyquil i can give my daughters because i know how much acetaminophen, decongestant, and cough medicine (can't remember off hand which ones nyquil uses) i can give them, and i can read the bottle and do the math. it's not a hard thing.... i will admit it does take me forever to figure it out, because i'm not a math whiz, and i do like to recheck and recheck again, to make sure it's the right dose!

another good rule to follow is to only give cold medicines just before bedtime so your child can sleep. and then wait at least an hour past the longest time they have listed on the bottle. if it says give a dose every 4-6 hours, don't give another dose for at least 7 hours.... and only if you really feel like your child can't sleep without it. that way you won't be overdosing your child by giving it too close together. my two can get one dose at bedtime and usually sleep through the night..... occasionally i will give a half dose at naptime too....

the best rule though is, WHEN IN DOUBT ASK YOUR DOCTOR!!! (and if you can't reach the doctor, try a pharmacist!)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
    kristi6190
    (female)

kristi6190 HB User

thank you all for replying and for your opinions! very funny! i totally agree! some people are just dumb...my husband says sometimes i'm too overprotective but i feel like i have to be these days, ya know? how can you not be?! these are our children! our babies! the most important people in the world! some people don't deserve to be parents. if you poison your child b/c you don't read instructions or even call the doctor(which is sooo easy!) you don't deserve to have a child. i'm sorry but i agree with you, some people are dumb. thats why i get on here and talk to other REAL moms. you know you care about your child if you'll get online and ask questions to make sure you're doing everything right ya know? thank you all again for your posts and for clearing this whole thing up about the recalls.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Tylenol does not cure the cold, it only suppresses the symptoms. Tylenol and cold medicines do not treat the underlying cause of the cold or sickness. Depending on the age of your baby, if they are old enough to eat, make sure they get enough sleep, vitamin C, avoid sick people, or putting unclean hands near eyes, mouth and nose. You can use saline nasal sprays to help instead of a cold medicine. Colds thrive in DRY air. So make sure you home has a humidifier if your air is dry.

Acetaminophen can overwhelm the liver.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 11-15-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
    kristi6190
    (female)

kristi6190 HB User

alexain2006
    what should i do now, i have a cold! i have a sore throat nasal congestion, head congestion, i feel like my ears need popped like i just got off a plane, i'm absolutley miserable! what should i do to keep my daughter from getting sick?! i have my mother in law take her today and my mom had her all day yesterday. i'm using hand sanitizer and everything, i just feel like i cant hold her or play with her ya know? any other suggestions to keep her from getting my cold?

Closed Thread