It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• how not to lose your mind BF during a growth spurt?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User
    Question how not to lose your mind BF during a growth spurt?

I have a question for BTDT moms who've breastfed...how do you not lose your mind breastfeeding thru a growth spurt? Ugh. I am at my wit's end. My baby is 17 days old, and I think she has hit a growth spurt and all she wants to do nonstop is nurse. I have done nothing but nurse her all day, except 30 min. or an hour here & there. I don't think she's gassy or sick, she just wants to eat and eat and can't ever seem to get enough and is fussy when she's not being fed and screams bloody murder, but it's wearing me out. Last night, I hardly got any sleep because of this. I assume it's a growth spurt, but when will it end? How can I keep breastfeeding through this? I'm having a hard time with it right now because I can do nothing but feed my baby. I do have a few bags of pumped breastmilk frozen, and right now, DH is feeding her from one of those so I can have a bit of a break. Please tell me this doesn't last forever!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
    Re: how not to lose your mind BF during a growth spurt?

it could be a growth spurt, but it could also be that she isn't latching on right and so isn't getting enough with each feeding.... so check that she's latching on properly before you completely go nuts..... other than that, you sound like you're doing everything you can do. it does tend to feel like you're just chained to your child for the duration, but if it's a growth spurt, it should pass within a few more days.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
    violetsmom13
    (female)

violetsmom13 HB User

I hate to say it, but that is exactly when I gave my baby a pacifier for the first time. She was three weeks old when she went through the same thing. I felt like she would never stop and nothing else would soothe her! By this time nursing is well-established and your baby may want to be nursing simply for comfort. Giving her a pacifier a couple times a day could give you a little break. It never interfered with my baby's nursing - we did it for 10 months and her weight and height were always off the chart! Good luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
    StaceyLee
    (female)

StaceyLee HB User

Just hang it there, it wont last forever. Sounds like a growth spurt. Your babies nursing like that will keep your supply up! I personally wouldnt use a pacifiar for that reason. Take advantage of it...rest up!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

A growth spurt will last for about 3-4 days, hang in there. I don't however suggest giving her a pacifier now, because if she's hungry, she needs to eat. Just listen to your baby, she's telling you something! It's rough in the beginning, but it gets SO much easier. Also, by her nursing so much, it's actually boosting your milk production to keep up with her growth, so you'll make more and she'll be more satisfied in the long run.

Closed Thread