It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Bodywide Hives??????????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Bodywide Hives??????????

Hi, my neice is 9 months old and all was going well until a week or 2 ago. She did happen to get 3 vaccinations on one of these recent days, but now I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my concern. The only kind of rash she's ever had was a little diaper rash here & there, nothing else on any other part of her body. But 2 days after the vaccinations, she developed a red splotchy rash all over her body (even on her head). The splotches were different sizes & shapes, some tiny, small larger, almost looked hive-ish but without bumps. So I thought the vaccinations did this. But she had no fever, no itching, didnt seem to be bothered by it. Over several days it went away. Then several days ago, she suddenly got the rash again all over her body, but did not have anymore vaccinations. So this is why I think maybe that has nothing to do with it. It faded again over a few days and today she was getting more small splotches all over her face and neck and a few on other areas. But today I noticed one red splotch was raised like a big hive, and she had little bumps in some places, plus little bumps starting on her forehead that weren't yet red. The whole family is now thinking she must be allergic to something she's eating. My sis said the one time she was okay, and she fed her mixed berries baby food, then a rash appeared the next day. My mother also fed her just blueberries baby food another day, and it seemed like the rash got worse again. She's only been eating these recently. The only other things she ingests are baby forumula and gerber baby cereals...that is it. And she's always drank the same formula since birth, and always eaten the same cereal for maybe 2 or 3 months. So i'm thinking maybe she's allergic to the blueberries. Or maybe she's having some reaction from being out in the sun?

My sis called her pediatrician the first time it happened, but only spoke with her on the phone, the doc did not ask to see her. The doc said it couldnt have been from the vaccination and that it's probably just a little virus or nothing to worry about. My sis did, though, make an appt. with a dermatologist so we'll see what he says.

Has this happened to anyone else's baby? Is there any thing in foods that might commonly cause allergic reactions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
    meechieny
    Veteran
    (female)

meechieny HB User
    Re: Bodywide Hives??????????

I think berries......blueberries, strawberries etc. are the most common food allergy. My son is allergic to raspberries. My daughter to strawberries. Hives are a histamine reaction. So if they are actual hives I would believe it is allergic reation. Hives are more raised with a lighter center, they are also called wheels becasue of how they look. Very itchy.
    There are MANY viral rashes as well. Going to the dr's office is like germ warfare!!! Your exposure to illness is so high there because of the patients who are children who rarely hand wash. I can't tell you how many times my kids got sick after a well visit. Viral rashes are more of a blotchy or prickley rash and a fever will go along with it.
    I would hold off on the berries for a while and see if it clears. Then reintroduce them slowly and make sure you have a week in between each time you try something new.
    Good luck. I hope some of this was helpful

Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

If I were your sister, I would be calling the dr and making an appointment (not just talking to the dr on the phone.) Blueberries aren't actually a highly allergenic food. Berries are, but not blueberries. It does sound like an allergic reaction to something though. You mentioned something about her being exposed to the sun. You might want to do a little research on Polymorphous Light Eruption (a sun allergy). When you're exposed to sun you get red blotches that appear raised, bumpy or hive-like. Apparently it's the worst in spring. Sounds like what you described. Your sister really should get your niece to see the dr.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Thanks for the replies. My sis had called her pediatrician the first time it happened, but that doc didnt seem concerned & didnt make an appt to see it! I told my sis she better get another opinion somewhere else. But my sis DID already make an appt. with a dermatologist, so she will see someone else anyway.

The baby has not had any fevers at all, my sis kept on checking for that, and baby seemed to be her usual cheerful hyper self, no itching either. I told my sis & mom to keep an eye if her rash acts up after being outside awhile, b/c I do know that could be a far possibility. Also, I, myself, get hives, which is believed to be related to my lupus. Mine usually are more skin colored until I scratch, then everything gets red, but I get huge wheals on me. The baby has red splotches everywhere, but when looking at them close up, it looks like it could be hives, but she doesnt scratch at all. So who knows. She hasnt seemed to have any other symptoms & no GI symptoms either.

I just wanted some others opinions and thank you for that, ladies!

Closed Thread