It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Won't burp at night, help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
    JenW67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JenW67 HB User
    Won't burp at night, help!

Hi,

I have a lovely 4 month old little boy. He still needs to eat one or two times a night. I think that he gets up the second time because he is gassy from the first feeding. I cannot seem to get him to burp at night when he is so sleepy. I do all the standard stuff- pat the back turn him on his belly over the boppy pillow while I pat his back, rub his tummy, and try to get him to stand on my lap while I hold him under the arms (he burps really well this way during the day). This is all for not because he won't burp.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As always, even if you don't have an answer it is good to hear from people who are now/have experienced the same thing.

Thanks,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
    Re: Won't burp at night, help!

Hi Jen! I have a magic trick that may help you! (Hopefully...)
    This always worked for my daughter when she was really little:
    I would give her a bottle, stop halfway, and then lay her down to change her diaper. It usually took me a little longer to change her diaper in the middle of the night because I was soooo tired, lol. When I picked her back up to feed her, I always got a big burp because she had time to "work one up." I think laying her down really gets it to build up. Then when I picked her up, it usually just came on its own. So, maybe you can try to lay your son down on your lap for a bit while you wait for the burp.

Do you burp after every few ounces or after an entire bottle? I know that at four ounces my daughter went through a huge growth spurt and could take in more at a time before needing to burp, so she required more formula, but less burping. Maybe it's possible that your son needs more ounces intitially before getting a burp. Just a thought.
    Good luck to you!

Last edited by LauraLu; 07-15-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Closed Thread