It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• How much solids should a 7-8 month old be eating?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
    dina08
    Veteran
    (female)

dina08 HB User
    How much solids should a 7-8 month old be eating?

Can you tell me how much solids you think a 7-8 month old should be eating?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User
    Re: How much solids should a 7-8 month old be eating?

Hi Dina

Hope all s well with you and your little girl.
    Jeremy will be 7 months in a few days.......
    I guess that things work a little different here so don t know if this will help.
    I prepare all his pureed solids from fresh fruit and veg. He normally eats around 175gms/6oz veg and 200gm/7oz fruit a day. He also has some rice cereal for breakfast nand approx 15oz formula.

Amy

Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
    doodlebugsmom
    (female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

They should have as much or as little as they want. Being as a child doesn't even need solids until at least 12 months, at this age it is just for learning and fun, so don't stress over the amount. Whatever makes the child happy is fine.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
    dina08
    Veteran
    (female)

dina08 HB User

I'm concerned that she will be delayed in being able to eat table foods and whatnot if I don't get her eating a lot of baby food now. Please understand that feeding her has always been a challenge. She was a preemie and could only take 10-15 cc's at a time after she was born and we were thrilled when she did that. She now is diagnosed with reflux and on medication; however, she only drinks a bottle when asleep. So, it's difficult. I try and try with the solids and she is doing a little better; however, definately not taking anywhere near to what Amy said. Yesterday, she took combined 2.5 ounces of baby food with half a saltine cracker and a little banana plus 36 ounces of formula.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

I understand your concern on the other hand i do not think you should be worried.
    Since DD always had issues with feeding she might be taking it a little more easy. After all she s getting a good amount of formula which is giving her all the nutrients she requires.
    It took Jeremy quite some time to get the hang of things too. At first he used to have 1 teaspoon of rice cereal a day and things were so messy lol. He gradually increased. There are days were he won t eat as much.
    How is her weight doing ? As long as she is gradually putting on weight i wouldn t worry too much. What did the pead tell you?

Amy

Old 09-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
    dina08
    Veteran
    (female)

dina08 HB User

From what the 'books' and pediatrician say, they should be taking 4-8 tablespoons per day and she does this. I am not worried. I just wanted to know what others take. She has almost tripled her birth weight.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
    dina08
    Veteran
    (female)

dina08 HB User

Amy,

I am slightly disturbed by your comment. I did not need for someone to tell me that I should be worried. I don't know how it is in Europe; however, in the states, it is not acceptable to only be drinking 15 ounces of milk at this age. I think I am feeding her the right amount. I simply wanted to hear what others feed their children. Of course I have already asked the pediatrician long before this board. I really don't need someone telling me that I should be concerned.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
    joemamma22
    (female)

joemamma22 HB User

my little guy (or not so little) is a few days shy of 8 months old, and eats like a horse. he usually has 4-5 oz of veggies, 4-5 oz of fruit, about 4 oz of cereal, lots of snacks (baby snacks), table food and nurses. but hes always grown like a weed. i got a sample menu from wic for what a 8-10 month old should be eating if anyone would like me to share. dina my ped told me that premies were kinds supposed to be measured by the original due date. like they are now 8 months, they were 2 months early so they should be doing what 6 month olds do? thats just what my peds told me

Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
    doodlebugsmom
    (female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dina08 View Post
    I'm concerned that she will be delayed in being able to eat table foods and whatnot if I don't get her eating a lot of baby food now. Please understand that feeding her has always been a challenge. She was a preemie and could only take 10-15 cc's at a time after she was born and we were thrilled when she did that. She now is diagnosed with reflux and on medication; however, she only drinks a bottle when asleep. So, it's difficult. I try and try with the solids and she is doing a little better; however, definately not taking anywhere near to what Amy said. Yesterday, she took combined 2.5 ounces of baby food with half a saltine cracker and a little banana plus 36 ounces of formula.
    My son was the same way. The nurses were thrilled if he'd take 15ccs at once, and any thing he didn't take orally got put through the NG tube, until he pulled it out himself and decided he'd eat enough. He came home only taking 30ccs at a time. He also had awful reflux and was on medication until just last month. Honestly, the amount of food sounds okay. The main thing is to not force it. Remember, kids can stay on formula past a year, or go to a step 2 formula or Pediasure, if they aren't taking enough solids to meet their needs, so there's no reason to rush these things. My son is 14 months and still on infant formula, for several reasons, allergies, help with weight gain, nutrition requirements, etc. Kids pick up on it when we're stressed, so just make eating fun. When she takes a bite of something and swallows, make a BIG deal about it, and make sure she realizes how pleased you are. She'll start eating more and more as she realizes this is what you want her to do and sees how happy it makes you.

Closed Thread