It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Do you use soap on your LO's faces?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User
    Do you use soap on your LO's faces?

I was just wondering, do you use soap on your LO's faces? I realized the other night while giving DD a bath that I've never used soap on her face. She is 16 MO. I have always just wiped it with a clean, wet wash cloth. I started thinking that maybe I should be using soap? Does anyone else do this???? I just didn't know if it was necessary or even good for her face.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
    skbrmom
    (female)

skbrmom HB User
    Re: This may seem stupid but...

I used to use a very mild baby wash. If her skin is nice and clear and healthy looking, then what you are doing is working well enough. If you get some "gunk" on her face that's stuck on there a bit, maybe a bit of baby wash on the cloth will be helpful. I wouldn't think soap on a babys face is necessary but is sometimes helpful. Enjoy!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
    megss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

megss HB User

Delia I don't use soap on Gracie's face either. I do exactly what you do, I use a clean wet wash cloth. Grace get's exzema on her cheeks, and her pediatrician told me not to use soap because it can dry out her skin. I do use Aquaphor Baby Wash (for dry and sensitive skin), and I apply aquaphor moisturizer all over her body after each bath, but I still do not wash her face with soap.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
    simplyheather
    Veteran
    (female)

simplyheather HB User

I don't use soap either. His face gets dirty, but nothing that warm water and the washcloth doesn't take off. I don't know that I will until he understands to keep his eyes closed while I wash his face, or until he can help do it too.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
    Re: Do you use soap on your LO's faces?

Hi all ~ I've never used soap on Madeline's face. I do behind her ears though because it looks like carrots could grow in them most of the time, lol.

She also gets really bad eczema (sp?) on her legs, so we use mild soap as well, Megss. I definitely agree with the previous poster that warm water and the wash cloth are all you need.

Megss ~ What kinds of lotions work best for Grace? Madeline has it terrible right now! Our ped. told us to try hydrocortisone cream...have you done this?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
    megss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

megss HB User

Hey Laura-

Yes we use cortizone 1% when it gets bad. We have tried several different moisturizers and body washes, such as Aveeno. All say they are for exzema and extra dry skin, but for Grace, Aquaphor baby body wash and baby moisturizer works the best. I buy the big tub of it. It is sticky and looks like vaseline, but it works better than anything else we tried. I can never find it at Target(Target just has regular aquaphor for adults), but Babies R Us always has it. My DH, who is 30, still deals with bad exzema, so unfortunately I think Grace will too for awhile.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hi Delia,

I realized that I never used soap on Liam's face either, a few months back! But the reason that I noticed was because he started to get these little tiny bumps up high on one of his cheeks, so I thought I'd try using just a bit of mild baby wash to see if it cleared up, and it did!

I just use Johnsons Head to Toe body wash (I think that's what it's called!). I have continued to wash just his forehead, cheeks and chin in the bath. I do it at the same time as doing his hair, so when I rinse his hair, all the soap from his face gets rinsed as well (unfortunately he doesn't quite understand to tilt his head back, or down, so it doesn't go in his face!--although he doesn't seem to mind it much anyway).

Whiskers
    Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Thanks ladies! Meggs and Laura, what does the eczema look like? I am just curious because Ella has always had pinkish colored cheeks and they feel rough. I asked a long time ago about it and her pedi acted as though it was something that would just go away with time. However it hasn't. Some of the girls at work were telling me that they thought they were milk bumps? I am not sure, have you heard of that because I never had. Sometimes I wonder if Ella doesn't have eczema as well. She also has patches that feel the same on her thighs and on the backs of her arms, although those places aren't red, just rough feeling. I know I had it as a baby. Whiskers, Ella doesn't know how to keep her head back either, so I have to lean her back and cover her face with my hand when rinsing her head. Fun times, let me tell you. The whole time she tries to push my hand away, yet if she gets ONE drop of water on her face, she has a fit!!! Gotta love em! By the way too, I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but I absolutely LOVE your son's name. So cute.

Last edited by Delia79; 11-19-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
    megss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

megss HB User

Delia-

That sounds exactly like Eczema. Eczema is simply very dry skin, so try just moisturizing it, and if that doesn't work, it is okay to use Cortisone up to two times daily. Grace mainly gets it on her cheeks, but she will also get it on her wrists, knuckles, ankles, tops of her feet, and behind her legs. Her cheeks can get very pink, but the patches she develops else where are usually just a tannish color.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
    E1979
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

E1979 HB User

Delia I am a trained Esthetician and I can tell you that soap isn't even good for adults never mind babies faces. I use a warm wet washcloth in the bath and after meals or if Tanner gets his face dirty outside of bath time I will use one of his wipes for his bum. I still by the sensitive ones for newborns. But like the other posters said mostly it's nothing some warm water wont take care of.
    The reason it's not good for our skin is if you strip too much of our skin's natural oils from it then it causes the skin to become dry and start to produce more and more oil to compensate for what you are taking away from it. It gets the sebacious(oil) glands starting to go into a hyperactive mode.
    Just keep doing what you are doing!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I mostly just wipe my daughters face off. A couple of times a week I use Avalon Organics orange face soap on her and I moisturize her face after each bath with pure vitamin E oil.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Oh thanks, Delia! Coming up with his name was pretty easy, but we are having a HECK of a time coming up with something this time (should it be a boy--if it's a girl, we're covered)!

Whiskers
    Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Closed Thread