It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• diarrhea and acetaminophen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
    sweetpeamom
    (female)

sweetpeamom HB User
    diarrhea and acetaminophen

My 15 month old has been having diarrhea for almost a week now and the only things that we have changed in her diet are switching to 1% milk (her doctor said this was okay since she is in the 95th percentile for height and weight) and I have been giving her acetaminophen for teething over the last week. Has anyone else had acetaminophen cause diarrhea in their little one? The diaper rash is also really bad and I just feel terrible for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
    Re: diarrhea and acetaminophen

Hopefully you've gotten things resolved by now, but just in case.....

All the excess drool and mucus from teething can cause diarrhea and lead to an awful diaper rash! It's not the acetaminophen.

The mucus and drool can make for really acidic poop, which can really burn a baby's bottom, so if this is still going on, make sure you use vaseline with each diaper change.... stay away from powder and commercial rash ointments, especially if there is broken skin in the rash.

The easiest and quickest diaper rash cure is air. I use a hair dryer set on low heat and blow dry my baby's bottom with each change.... keep a hand in the airflow so that you can regulate the heat, and keep the hair dryer moving so that it doesn't concentrate heat in one spot! I also rinse out all the wipes before I use them (some people just use a washcloth, others use paper towels, but I prefer rinsing wipes.... I rinse a whole thing of them before hand so they're available when I need them!).

*****IMPORTANT***** if you use a hair dryer on a diaper rash, and you have a girl, be sure to put vaseline all around her little girl parts and make sure they will separate. My baby had labial adhesions this past summer and I think it might be due to hair dryering her rash and not using vaseline (it was during the incredibly hot drought weather, and her doctor said they'd seen several cases of it at the time.... BUT, I blame the hair dryer and lack of vaseline!).

Again, I hope your baby is better by now, but if not, hope this helps!

Closed Thread