It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board

impetigo infection questions? How long can impetigo live outside the body?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #16
SlabTown40501
(male)

SlabTown40501 HB User
Re: impetigo infection questions? How long can impetigo live outside the body?

well i can't cancel my trip. my friend already requested off, and this is the only time my friend who is taking me is off of work.

Besides, right now there's hardly ANY yellow on my face what's so ever. it's just dry skin. no ooseing yellow secretions or anything like that. it was starting to clear up on it's own anyway.

there's only a TINY micro-crum sized hint of yellow on the side of my nostril. and it's only contagious threw the oozing fluid.

Besides, it's not like i'm going to be kissing them and smearing my mouth and nose all over them :S I'll be fine, and they'll be fine. If anything bad happens, then i'll come back and admit i was wrong. But i'm very doubtful anything bad will happen. By tomorrow night it should be held. it already is right now. Right now they just look like normal scabs.

im still going to keep using the ointment though. Numerous sources have told me that after treatment, it's no longer contagious and also that once the scabs/sores dry up there no longer contagious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear SlabTown,

One of my children had it. And we had no idea from whom it was caught. That fact is why people need to take ordinary responsible action to not risk spreading it. How would you have felt going to see your friend too soon and then finding out he caught this from you, and others caught it from him?

I didn't see anyone suggesting that you needed to freak out. There is a huge difference between just taking normal precaution to prevent spreading it or getting reinfected and freaking out. Freaking out is just emotion.

The issue is you don't know where you got it from or where it spread in your possessions. Taking proper care is just to keep yourself and others safe. Of course that's your own decision.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 07-08-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #18
SlabTown40501
(male)

SlabTown40501 HB User

well the doctor told me to keep using the ointment and it would be gone in 4-5 days. It's already my 3rd day of using it (i leave tonight at 8pm).

It was already healing up on it's own Before I started treatment. Nothing was oozing out at all. In fact it was yellow and dried up the whole entire time.

Right now, when i woke up this morning, it was just a couple scabs, absolutely no yellow at all. barely anything. im still using the ointment. and have been washing and sanitizing my hands. and using the alcohol wipes on everything.

Also, I've read in one place that a large percentage of people carry the bacteria for it on their skin and in their nose, and only if there immune system is compromised and if there's a cut in there skin, the bacteria will enter and cause infection.

I have type 1 diabetes and i haven't eaten for a couple days before my infection started, so i definitely think that's how i got it because im always at home by myself all the time and never been in contact with hardly anyone before hand, except for my one friend who's taking me down south (for all i know, he's probably the one i caught it from but i have no idea how because i didn't kiss him at all or have him touch my face)

and no one was telling me to freak out?... even with mentioning 'flesh eating sores' and 'Mrsa'?... O_o I don't mean to be rude, but seriously. It's almost like you guys were trying to put me in the 'Cabin Fever' movie :S

The doctor didn't even mention anything about it being contagious or anything like that. He just gave me the ointment and told me to use it.

I've also seen pictures of impetigo online, what i had going on doesn't look remotely as bad as what i saw online of it.

Overall, I'll be fine, and i'm 100% sure none of my friends will catch it at all either. But If they do, I'll make sure to come back here and let you all know how wrong i was.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlabTown40501 View Post
Also, I've read in one place that a large percentage of people carry the bacteria for it on their skin and in their nose, and only if there immune system is compromised and if there's a cut in there skin, the bacteria will enter and cause infection.
UMMM- I think you read that here in one of the replies I left. Did you also come across in your readings where the 2 most common bacteria causing it are strep and staph aureus. Want to guess what the SA in MRSA stands for?
Yup. That's right. Staph Aureus. I must have missed the reference to flesh eating bacteria because I certainly did not bring that up.

I personally don't care who is right or wrong. I and I believe YAYA gave you honest and truthful replies without any use of scare tactics, just common sense. Do with it as you wish.

Last edited by Harri3t; 07-09-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #20
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Internet chat never is about predicting whether or not you are still contagious.
Only a biopsy could tell that.

You asked specific questions about how to prevent spreading the disease and you were given correct information. Whether you do it is your own choice.

Hopefully you are right and your healing is advanced enough that you won't end up spreading the disease.

I for one have no interest in knowing whether you misjudged.

Reply Reply

Tags
antibiotic, bacteria, contagious, impetigo, skin infection