It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board

• MRSA....please need answers for husband

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
    mommieof2girls

mommieof2girls HB User
    MRSA....please need answers for husband

Hi, I haven't posted in awhile but I was just wondering if anyone could give some advice about this condition. My husband has had these boils that get huge red and puss. He's been to the doctors and iis now seeing a dermatologist, who diagnosed him with mrsa. He's been using everything the doctor has told him to use...antibacterial soap, hibicleanse soap....etc! He's been better not as much outbreaks but now he's been off the antibiotics for 2 months and is now starting to get 2 new boils. He is starting to get depressed because all they tell him is that he just has to continue what he's doing and hopes it will go away. The other type of medicine they have given him is creams, some that you have to put in your nose too. He's afraid that he's going to give it to me or our kids. He just wants it to go away. should he see an infectious disease doctor or continue seeing the dermatologist? I tell him that we'll just have to deal with it together as a family but he's just getting so depressed. Any advice would be great.

Thx,
    Suzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User
    Re: MRSA....please need answers for husband

Hi mommie

Can i just say that im sorry to hear about your husband being diagnosed with MRSA.

Unfortuantely the reason why the boils make keep coming back is because most strains of MRSA are immune to penicillin, it is because part of the MRSA virus has been clever and developed a substance that lowers the effectiveness of most antibiotics

Methicillin and flucloxacillin are other types of medication that can be used to treat MRSA. Which one is your husband on? These have a better effect

There other drugs which can be used to fight MRSA but these ones are usually given through an IV in the vein.

Does your husband work and what does he do? The reason why i ask is because it is quite rare for general public to contract MRSA, most cases are seen in hospital patients or health care workers. Has he been in hospital recently?

As for cross infection, you may have a problem if correct cleansing isnt carried out. The problem with MRSA is that it can survive outside the body, therefore if someone with MRSA has touched maybe a light switch this bug can then survive for a lenghty period. This is why that it spreads very fast within hospitals due to the amount of people and the strength of the bug, that is why it is called SUPERBUG. Disinfect your house at least twice a week, all door handles, light switches, kettl,e things like that which are often handled.

Your husband is doing the right thing by using hibiscrub and certain soaps.

It would be interesting to find out if your husband has been in hosptial lately or where he works.

In the UK we have infection control nurses, do you have anybody like that where you are? If so maybe you could both go and see them.

Good luck and i hope i have helped

Last edited by Sharon76; 04-10-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Closed Thread