It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board

• Very sick little girl with MRSA, please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
    nonnaa
    (female)

nonnaa HB User
    Very sick little girl with MRSA, please help

My 7 year old niece has been in the hospital for a week now. It started out as septic arthritis from a untreated case of strep throat, she also now has MRSA. She has had one surgery on her shoulder and is about to have surgery on her leg to drain the infection. She has had a blood transfusion because her blood count was 18 and that is too low and they could not operate until they got it up. She has blood clots in her arm and lungs and her fever will not stay down. She was transported by ambulance from one big hospital to another even bigger hospital because they could not help her. The doctors will not give much info and we are scared. Could someone, anyone give us info on what this is, what might happen, is this as serious as the hospital acts like it is? Any info you have on any of the above problems or problems yet to come would be greatly apprecitated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User
    Re: Very sick little girl with MRSA, please help

MRSA is a resistant strain of staph. It is only susceptible to one antibiotic which is vancomycin. It is serious to the hospital because it can be passed from one patient to another patient via nurses. It is estimated that 70% of the population has a strain of this in their bodies but they are not actively sick with it. It only poses a threat when you are actively sick with it. However from what you said about her, this would be one of the least of her worries. Other issues are much more pressing and concerning like the blood clots. MRSA is typically a hospital acquired infection as well, so likely she got it from the hospital or got it from someone that was in the hospital. If this were the only thing that she was sick with then it would be concerning, but again it concerning but not as much as the other health problems. Hope that helps

Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
    wmcgowin
    (male)

wmcgowin HB User

I hope she's OK. I am being treated for MRSA right now-4 to 6 weeks of IV vancomycin. It seems to be working for me, but it's not much fun.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
    smbenson58
    (male)

smbenson58 HB User

Just a couple of corrections.... There are more antibitoics than just vancomycin that will treat MRSA. Vancomycin has been around the longest and was the most potent, but there are others now available.

Also, more and more MRSA is being acquired outside of hospital facilities.

I hope your niece is improving.

Mike

Old 07-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
    accessing
    (male)

accessing HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smbenson58 View Post
    Just a couple of corrections.... There are more antibiotics than just vancomycin that will treat MRSA. Vancomycin has been around the longest and was the most potent, but there are others now available.

Also, more and more MRSA is being acquired outside of hospital facilities.

I hope your niece is improving.

Mike
    (Tygacil )'' is the newest one''Tigecycline, is an antibiotic that is used intravenously for the treatment of infections ...tell your doctor.

Most MRSA are getting Vancomycin resistant now.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
    Wendy59
    (female)

Wendy59 HB User

(MRSA is a resistant strain of staph. It is only susceptible to one antibiotic which is vancomycin.)

THIS is NOT true. Many are often Vancomycin Resisitant, mine was!!

(It is serious to the hospital because it can be passed from one patient to another patient via nurses.) The CA-MRSA (community acquired) is becoming far more prevalent and dangerous than the HA-MRSA. AND the CAMRSA is taking on many of the characteristics of the HA one.

(It only poses a threat when you are actively sick with it) NO... It is quite contagious to those who come in DIRECT contact with it.

"MRSA is typically a hospital acquired infection" ALSO WRONG!!!! Most cases of this infection these days are community acquired.

Check the CDC government website for more info.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-03-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread