It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board

• MRSA infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
    all4emily
    (female)

all4emily HB User
    MRSA infection

Was just informed, although the test was done about a month ago, that I have this virus. Still waiting to hear back from the Infectious Desease Dr. as to when I will get an appointment. It's Friday, so I know it won't be until at least Monday. Should I be worried? I have heard people can die from this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
    horseygirl14
    (female)

horseygirl14 HB User
    Re: MRSA infection

It's caused by the staph aureus bacteria, not a virus. I would try to keep everything as clean and sterile as possible. Wash all your things separately and in hot water. Use antibacterial soap.

What kind of symptoms do you have? If it's just a boil or something small like that, I would make sure you take care of it with your dr., take your antibiotics and keep everything as hygenic as possible. You may have to totally disinfect your house. You should be fine. I wouldn't worry to much. Depends on what kind of symptoms you have.

Do an internet search on MRSA. There is lots of good information out there. Check out some reputable websites. MSN health, etc.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
    MELISSA883
    (female)

MELISSA883 HB User

Hi several years back I started getting sores on my body and was diagnosed with a staph infection. Then it went away. I am a cleaning lady and on Monday I had to clean this older man's house that just came out of the hospital where he contracted MRSA. I did not where gloves and cleaned areas like the toilet, shower, etc. I also must mention I had a pimple on my chin. So 2 days later it started to swell up so bad it went into my mouth, cheeks, half of my nose and started to go into my forehead. I had to go to the hospital where they drained (AWFUL!!!) it was sooooo painful, they left the drain in and I had to get stitches. They treated it as and said it was MRSA. Although to completely confirm it they had to wait until the culture came back. My question is do you think the staph infection I had stayed dormant in my systems all this time and then when I came into contact with it and the open pimple that triggered it to come back? Does it ever go away? The doctor said I was lucky because if I had waited until morning the swelling would have continued around my lungs and throat, it already had started to, and would have cut off my airways. I have to admit I am really terrified of this happening again. I don't really want to go back to my doctor because she totally misdiagnosed with this and told me I could go home. I had seen her earlier that morning and she told me it was an absess and to put wamr compress on it and see how I felt and then if it didn't go away in a day or 2 to got to the ER and get it drained. But I wouldn't have been here in a day or 2. HELP!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
    Kippelninkel
    (female)

Kippelninkel HB User

For some reason, people who get these mrsa boils/abcesses do fairly often get them again (though not necessarily in the same area). People don't always have noticeable symptoms until the abcess has reached a significant size.
    Common sense with cleanliness and hand-washing is still the best medicine for mrsa prevention. Also, you really really should read up on cross-contamination and learn how to prevent it.

<removed>

FYI: It is a bacteria, not a virus.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-05-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
    bump555
    (female)

bump555 HB User

Hi , Anyone out there with this.. It started with light red, slightley raised scaley patch on my scalp, which went to a few, sore, would swell, from March till now went to dr., dermatologist, for biopsy, went to infectious dr. got results from dermatologist it was staph and impetigo. Also begged dr. to check my inner ear, felt like flesh eating bactiera . Got a NP to culture it came back positive for MRSA . been on antibiotics for eight days, (scalp still has patches ) . Any one else have this?

Last edited by bump555; 05-26-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

1. Use Hibiclens in the shower every day instead of soap/shampoo

Apply it to your underarms, genital area and backside, then put soem on a washcloth, and lather it up all over your body. leave it on for 1 minute before rinsing it off.

2. Put some tripple antibiotic ointment up your nose on a cottonbud, smear it well round, then squeze your nostrils together. Do this twice a day. Apply this to any leasions as well.

3. Use antibacterial hand soap when you wash your hands.

4. Wash all your clothes, linnen in hot water, and add some oxygen bleach to the washer.

Do this for 2 weeks and you should be cleared.

Using an antibacterial soap (eg Safeguard or Dial) in the shower every day should keep you staph free.

Last edited by aussiejono; 05-26-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Closed Thread