It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infectious Diseases Message Board

• Staph infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
    Ellen Cooper
    (female)

Ellen Cooper HB User
    Staph infection

My husband is in intensive care with staph blood infection. Has been in since Friday afternoon, 6/20. They connot find cause or source. He was with friend in Missouri in October who has goats and friend has come down with Q fever and was up visiting husband in May. He was on antibiotics then for Q fever. Another person, Rudy was visiting husband's friend in Missouri and he came down with Q fever and they took several weeks to diagnose.

Now my husband has staph an infectious disease dr. says that it cannot be Q fever because that does not cause staph and they will not test for Q fever. Husband has fever, chills, sweats, muscle pain, confusion, fatique, weakness, but no nausea or voming or diarreaha. Should I push to have test done for Q fever? Husband and friend spent this past May in very close proximity in camper, fishing, eating, all while friend was being treated for Q fever and he had just come up from his home in Missouri where he has sheep and goats who obviously have, or carry the disease. I don't want to tick off infectious disease dr. but want to rule out Q fever, unless dr. is right and staph can never be result of Q fever. Please advise. Please send reply to Ellen Cooper <[email protected]***>. Thank you so much! Ellen Cooper
    Ellen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Staph infection

Staph and Q fever are separate illnesses, one does not cause the other. However, it's possible he has both, and it's probably worth running the test.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
    harka
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
    Re: Staph infection

Q-fever is caused by a bug called Coxiella burnetti. It is classically found in farm animals--especially female animals which are giving birth (the placenta is often infected). Depending on where you are in the world, usually the people who get infected are those with close contact with animals or their placentas.

Q-fever is generally not contagious unless someone has very severe lung disease and you're in close contact with the person. Given that your husband was with someone camping, I am assuming the person wasn't deathly ill in his lungs...i.e. he wouldn't have been camping!

I guess it's worth doing the serology if your husband was having close contact with the animals (or their parts) themselves, but otherwise, a Staphylococccal infection itself can be a DEADLY infection and treating that is much more important than ruling out something like Q-fever, which again, doesn't generally cause a fulminant illness. Usually Q-fever is a chronic, subacute, slow grumbling infection.

The big thing with a Staphylococcal blood infection is to find a source and to rule out a reservoir of infection (especially on the heart valves and in the vertebral bone). In your husband's case, the reason they're not wanting to rule out Q-fever is likely because of the acute course of the illness which is generally not part of the Q-fever syndrome.

Closed Thread