It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• iui - percentages higher the more you do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
    lisajojo
    Inactive

lisajojo HB User
    iui - percentages higher the more you do?

My re told me that 85% of women who will get pg from iui will do so in the first 3 or 4 trys. I have seen on different posts on different boards that your chances go up each time you do iui. I was interested in seeing what your re has told you. I am on my 4th and if I do not get pg this month we will move onto ivf. Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
    stillwtg
    Inactive

stillwtg HB User
    Re: iui - percentages higher the more you do?

hey, my re didn't really give me %'s the more you do, but I have an additional ? to pose to anyone who might be able to answer...does the % increase only if you do continuous IUI's or is it still increased if you have to miss one or more before doing another IUI.

Hope someone is smarter than me about this (well, that would be just about everyone)!

Old 05-04-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
    nena

nena HB User

hi lisajojo,

i'm new to this message board stuff, but most of the reading i've done states that most success with iui will be within 3-4 attempts...although i have read that some may attempt more iui cycles, dependent on age/dx/etc, a couple may choose to be more aggressive and move to ivf sooner than later...i'll be attempting my 3rd iui sometime next week and will probably explore other options if unsuccessful...at 36 years old this year, i'm told i may need to be more aggressive in tx...here's hoping 4th time is the charm for you...

re: stillwtg...i've no answers re: increased success of consecutive iui attempts...like you, i'm still learning and searching for answers, alot of which comes from the brave ladies who share their stories on these boards...good luck...

Old 05-05-2004, 06:00 AM   #4
    lisajojo
    Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Nena - thanks for your information. I just turned 35 a few weeks ago so I will move on if this iui attempt does not work. I hope for both of us that it works this time! I will be having my iui sometime next week also, probably closer to the beginning of the week. Are you using injectibles or clomid? I am on repronex and ovidrel. Does your insurance cover ivf? Mine nor by dh's does so we wanted to make one more attempt at iui before we dive into ivf. Good luck to you!

Stillwtg - I'm not sure about that either. I had to take a break in between cycles between iui 2 and 3. When I went in for #3 - my re told me it was my best cycle yet. So I don't think it is critical that you keep it continuous.

Lisa

Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
    stillwtg
    Inactive

stillwtg HB User

Hey lisa and nena, glad to know that I'm not the only "oldie" out there! I am 36...needless to say, it makes me even more anxious. We've been ttc 4 yrs and just when I think we'll be moving forward something happens. I have started my Clomid and hopefully this month will be successful. My first IUI looked great, both my follies and dh contribution were great, just didn't work. I will not stick with IUI's for long before moving to IVF. Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover anything but if I get pg we won't have any money anyway, so I figure we might as well go for it!

If everything goes well, I'll be having my IUI next week too, so hopefully we'll be able to keep each other company! I'll know Sat. how it looks, I'll cross my fingers for all of us.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
    lisajojo
    Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Stillwtg,

DH and I have been ttc for 2.5 years. It is very frustrating. Will you try injectibles with iui before moving on to ivf? I am on repronex with a hcg shot of ovidrel. I just got back from the re, I am on cd 6 and I have 3 follies that are between 11-12 mm. I go back on Saturday (same as you)and if things progress the way they should my iui should be on Monday or Tuesday. Do you know why you are not getting pg? My re does not really know why, before the meds he thought it was because I might have a short luteal phase but that doesn't seem to be it so I guess I am in unexplained! It sucks that insurance does not at least help with ivf. They should help with something!!! Baby dust to all!!!

Old 05-05-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
    stillwtg
    Inactive

stillwtg HB User

lisa,
    Tell me about it...ttc is so frustrating! I will probably not try injectables before moving on to ivf. I'm on Clomid now w/hcg shot. I am miss pessimistic right now since my last 2 months have been a bust, I'm not getting my hopes up that I'll even get to do IUI this month. If I do, it should be next week too. They have no idea why I'm not getting pg. Well, actually I've m/c'd twice, the last one though was about 2 yrs ago. they don't know what the prob. is. I ovulate and my follies are nice, I guess the swimmers are just dumb!

You said it sister...it sucks that insurance doesn't cover ivf. It doesn't cover our IUI's either but at least they are cheap compared to ivf!

Hope this cycle works out for us both. Keep me posted.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
    lisajojo
    Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Stillwtg

You might want to ask your re about injectibles. There is a girl on another board I belong and she did 3 rounds of iui w/clomid, moved on to injectibles w/iui and got pg that first month on injectibles. I know the injectibles have really thickened up my lining since I have been on them. You might produce the same number of follies but the other factors going on in there might benefit more by injectibles. Just an idea before you pump a ton of $$$ into ivf. I was on clomid for 6 months but I did not have iui with it. It didn't help me...obviously. I'm sorry to hear that you miscarried. Well, you know you can get pg so its just getting the timing right!!!

Mena - how are things going with you?

Old 05-07-2004, 06:27 AM   #9
    stillwtg
    Inactive

stillwtg HB User

Lisa
    I guess I'm just not sure what difference injectables will do. Everything looks good, I have a good thick lining, I make good follies and on paper everything looks good, I just can't seem to be successful getting and staying pg. anyway, I guess we'll just see how things move along. I also did Clomid without IUI before this, which wasn't successful for me either, obviously! I guess I'm just not very patient. On the other hand having been ttc for 4 years seems more than patient to me!

Anyway, good luck tomorrow. I hope everything looks good and you get to move on with your IUI next week.

Here's hoping this is yoru month!!!

Old 05-07-2004, 07:03 AM   #10
    lisajojo
    Inactive

lisajojo HB User

Stillwtg

I really don't know either, my gyno prescribed the clomid for me but then when I went to my re he said he did not care for clomid and that it doesn't work in 2/3 of cases. I thought that's nice I have been on it for 6 months. He said iui with injectibles had a higher success rate. But I think it depends on the person. I have seen a lot of women have success with clomid. I am in the same boat as you, by the looks of everything I should be getting pregnant, they don't know why I am not. At least you know you can. I don't know what my problem is. DH has great count, mobility. My re said that with iui they can only time it and don't know if my egg is actually falling into my tubes or if the problem is with attaching or what. He said they can't know those factors. He said since it seems that nothing is "wrong" with me that I am a good canidate for ivf. It is hard to be patient, I have been trying 2.5 years. I work with 11 men and 2 women (the women are alot older than me) but all the guys are younger than me and all of their wives are getting pg and having babies. I am very happy for them but it is so hard when everyone around me is having babies except me!!

Thanks, I hope this is your month too. It would be nice to see a bunch of BFP's around here!!!

Closed Thread