It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Is anyone not having periods?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User
    Is anyone not having periods?

I began 13 months ago TTC. I went off of the pill and haven't had a period since. After a thorough pap my Dr thought either it was thyroid or pituitary. He did the normal blood work and prolactin and TSH were normal although there was another test for female hormones, FSH and Luteinizing Hormones which explain where your body is in menstruating and ovulating. My FSH said I was mid cycle, ready to release an egg, but my Luteinizing Hormone said I was post-menopausal. I am only 27. So the Dr finally saw there was a problem and had an MRI done which revealed two small tumors on my pituitary gland, which is located on the bottom of the brain along with a large cyst.

I was wondering if anyone else was not having periods or having nipple discharge and was not able to conceive. If so, pituitary tumors could be to blame.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User
    Re: Is anyone not having periods?

Wow......sorry to hear about that! What does your doctor recommend you do?

Old 09-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #3
    Ashtre

Ashtre HB User

I also went off the pill and did not have a period on my own. So the Doctor diagnosed me with PCOS and now I am on my second round of Clomid. The first round I had to take progestertone to bring it on and now this month I finally got it on my own. and I start my clomid tomorrow!!

Old 09-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
    fawn512
    (female)

fawn512 HB User

Speisfamily,

so what did ur dr recommend u to do next?

All my bloodtests were normal, FT4,TSH,PRL,LH,FSH,Insuilin,Glucose. I'm curretly taking met and avandia combination hoping to regulate my hormone, hence, i menstruate.

I kept on reading stuffs regarding pituitary tumor, i'm afraid i have one, coz the only symptom of PCOS i have is no period for consecutive months

Old 09-09-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User

The only real way to diagnaose a pituitary tumor is to have a MRI with and without contrast, that is an injection. I have to now go see a Endocranologist who will do special blood work to figure out what type of tumors I have. Normal Dr's don't do these blood tests because they don't have the proper testing facilities. The most common symptom for a woman is irregular or no periods and discharge from the breast although I don't have the discharge which simply means that my tumor is not a prolactin producing tumor. If someone does have aprolactin producing tumor their prolactin levels will usually be high, mine were not. There are many symptoms for different types of tumors. My symptoms are as follows, do any sound familiar? I never put them all together until now. Most of my symptoms began at the age of 16 when I went off of b/c pill and were controlled when I went back on the b/c pill and some are new symptoms. My symptoms are as follows:

Trying to conceive for 13 months with no luck, at 16 same thing but for 1 1/2 years
    No periods for 13 months since stopping the b/c pill, at 16 same thing but for 1 1/2 years
    miscarriage
    never went into labor on my own with my 2 daughters
    hemorraged after both births
    dry skin on nipples and vulva (female thingy), NEW
    mole that shows up on breast when off of the b/c pill
    gained 60 pds. in 1 year which has also led to my rings not fittting and a much rounder face. NEW
    acne on face and body when off of the b/c pill
    dizzy and nausious, NEW
    foggy and forgetful, good thing I remembered that one, NEW
    migrains, have tried every medication there is
    back aches
    having to wax upper lip hair, NEW
    head hair is thinning, NEW
    started wearing contacts at 15
    1 pupil will dialate and cause blurred vision and headaches, began at age of 16
    Have small spots in vision field, only if I concentrate on them are they noticable
    can't sleep at night mind races, feel tired and worn out all day, NEW
    family thinks I am moody and emotional but I think it is them who are moody and emotional, NEW

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 09-09-2004 at 06:54 AM.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
    fawn512
    (female)

fawn512 HB User

I'm moody( but i think that's my nature LOL) and no period. That's it. Then u dont have PCOS? Coz the dr diagnosed you have pituitary problem..

Accdg to my dr, i have PCOS, but dont' have the symptoms of hair growing all over and acnes and hair thnning

Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User

Fawn512,
    I had a thorough pap and they said I was all good, never looked into PCOS, so I guess I don't have that. I just have the Pituitary tumors. Are all your hormone tests coming back normal? I know you said that they did but then you said that you are taking a pill to regulate your hormones. If your hormones are normal what is the pill regulating. Sounds odd to me. Is the pill working? If you have headaches, no period and ever notice breast discharge, I would ask the Dr's for a MRI with and without contrast to rule out a pituitary tumor.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:18 PM   #8
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

Speis..........are all of the symptoms that you are experiencing symptoms also associated with a Pituitary Tumor??? The reason I ask is because many of the symptoms are the same as symptoms with PCOS, which can also be tricky to diagnose.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:21 AM   #9
    SpeisFamily

SpeisFamily HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Is anyone not having periods?

Yes, all the symptoms I am experiencing are symptoms of a pituitary tumor. Pituitary tumors are among the most commonly misdiagnosed medical conditions, in large part because their symptoms are so similar to a lot of other conditions. The situation is further compounded by the fact that most physicians consider pituitary tumors to be rare disorders, and therefore seldom consider the possibility. But pituitary tumors have recently been found to be very common. In autopsy studies of patients who did not have known pituitary disease, as many as 26% had a small tumor in the gland. That is 1 in 4 people. The problem is that many clinically significant pituitary tumors go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for many years, during which they wreak physical, psychological, and economic havoc in patients' lives. Here is a list of symptoms of each different hormone secreting pituitary tomor:

Prolactinoma: most commonly causes loss of sexual function and infertility in men. Men may also have enlargement of the breasts. In women of reproductive age a prolactin-producing tumor may cause milk in the breasts, a change in menstrual periods or loss of menses or infertility. Women who have gone through menopause do not have a change in menstrual periods to signal the problem; in this situation, headache and loss of vision may be the first indicator of a prolactinoma.

Acromegaly: Enlargement of the hands, feet and face and excessive sweating are the most common features of excessive growth hormone production. Other problems that occur include joint pains (osteoarthritis), sleep apnea (excessive snoring, stopping breathing during sleep), hypertension, diabetes mellitus (high blood sugar), colon polyps, change in teeth spacing, oily skin and acne.

Cushing’s: The term “Cushing’s Disease” refers to the overproduction of cortisol by the adrenal glands caused by a pituitary tumor producing an excessive amount of the pituitary hormone, ACTH. Dr. Harvey Cushing, a neurosurgeon, first described this condition in the 1920s and the pituitary condition is called Cushing’s disease. Excessive cortisol production causes weight gain (particularly in the abdomen and neck), loss of muscle mass (legs, arms) and muscle weakness, depression, difficulty with concentration and memory, sleep disturbance, irritability, thinning of the skin with easy bruising, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, loss of bone mass (osteoporosis) with a risk for bone fractures and weakening of the immune system with a higher risk of developing infections.

TSH Secreting Tumor: This is the least common type of hormone producing pituitary tumors. Excessive TSH stimulates the thyroid gland to produce an excessive amount of thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism). Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include weight loss, nervousness, rapid heartbeat, difficulty sleeping, frequent bowel movements and in women, less menstrual flow or loss of menstrual periods.

Non Secretory Tumor: This refers to a tumor that does not produce an excessive amount of a pituitary hormone that can be measured in a blood test. This type of tumor most commonly causes sexual dysfunction in men and loss of regular menses and infertility in premenopausal women. This type of tumor is usually detected after it has become a large, causing loss of vision and/or headache and/or hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone level) or adrenal insufficiency (low cortisol level).

Craniopharyngioma/Rathke’s Cleft Cyst: These tumors are congenital - a defect in the development of the pituitary gland which begins during fetal (in the womb) development, it is present at birth but may not cause a problem until childhood or in adulthood until its growth and causes a problem. This is not a malignant (cancerous) tumor but it often interferes with normal pituitary function causing hypopituitarism (loss of pituitary function) or cause headache or loss of vision. This type of tumor may also cause diabetes insipidus, frequent urination and excessive thirst (not diabetes or high blood sugar).

Pituitary Cyst: Any endocrine gland may develop a cyst. This occurs commonly in the ovaries and thyroid gland; a cyst in the pituitary gland is benign (not cancer), but causes a problem because of enlargement causing headache and/or interference with normal pituitary function. Most common symptoms are headache and, if the cyst is large, loss of vision and loss of normal pituitary function. Sometimes a cyst may cause frequent urination and excessive thirst (diabetes insipidus).The treatment for this problem is removal by surgery. There are no medical treatments for this problem.

I hope this information was useful to those of you who may be wondering if your symptoms may be caused by a pituitary tumor.
    Christina

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 09-10-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #10
    fawn512
    (female)

fawn512 HB User

Speis,

yes, accdg to my doctor, all my tests are normal. I take anti-diabetic pills. I'm non IR (insulin resistant) accdg to my endocrinologist, but people can take that to regulate their hormone even if they're not insulin resistant.

so far i've been taking it for 2 weeks now, accdg to my endo. I can expect some spotting after 6 weeks

Thanks for all those info. One thing for sure is i dont' have headaches... i hope its a good sign

Closed Thread